One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-14 03:51:11

antking:]#

Tacos and Burritos

This is just a small question... would you consider making Tacos and burritos baking? and are they even worth making?

this happened to me in a past life the baker choose to retire and gave me the job of baking, so I start to make pies when I realize shoot we need plates! so instead of preparing bread or feeding sheep while waiting I decided to help maintain the small burrito and taco factory that our village had in one corner. by the time I came back to check on the bakery I saw every one frantic as they were trying to find the knife to kill some sheep which I had in my back pack the hole time... sadly I forgot it was their and quickly prepared some mutton, most people were angry with me for not "being the baker" so I decided to spend the rest of my life with my burritos and tacos.. after giving away the knife to the shepherded.

by being the taco guy was I "baking" or just cooking?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-03-14 04:02:30

CrazyEddie

Re: Tacos and Burritos

Baking pies is essential

Making tacos and burritos is a hobby

It's fine if you want to make tacos instead of pies, but someone still has to make the pies

#3 2019-03-14 04:02:51

futurebird

If you have the knife you are the bread slicer, sheep killer. So, that is the issue. If you don't wan't to check on sheep to see if they need killed or slice bread give the knife away, unless there are a lot of knives then you can go make paper or whatever.

I do think people underestimate the burrito. It's compact, portable and a bunch fit on a plate. Perfect to set out by the berries and near other work stations to feed the people.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-03-14 04:12:20

Oblong

Tacos require a forge and limestones. Already kind of a downside. Burritos are slightly better. Tacos still seem like vanity or yum material.

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#5 2019-03-14 05:02:45

DestinyCall

Sadly burritos lose out to pies in the "best pip value" fight.  A plate of bean burritos costs more to make and provides fewer pips than stew and pies.    So it would be better to make a meat pie with the wheat and a crock of stew with the beans, if you have either of those options in your village.  Burritos might be a good choice for an early village that doesn't have enough meat and has already used up all the nearby squash to make stew.   They are also a decent choice as a second line option after the better foods have been provided, to add food diversity and interest to the village.  And they are just fun to make!

If you are curious about the food math, a full plate of bean burritos hold six burritos and costs one bowl of cooked beans and 1.5 bowls of wheat dough (1/4 dough per burrito).   So to produce a plate of burritos, you must grow one full row of beans and 1.5 rows of wheat (the other half can be used for pies or another batch of burritos).  You'll also need to add a bowl of water to the beans before you cook them and 1.5 bowls of water to the wheat flour to form the dough.   The actual cooking can be done without an adobe oven or any special tools, so it is even possible in an Eve camp.    All you need is hot coals, at least two flat rocks, and a long straight shaft (and several bowls/plates).   Hot coals will cook the beans, then the long shaft is used with a flat rock to smash the dough into a raw tortilla, which can then be transferred to a hot flat rock for cooking.   Once you have a full (or partial) stack of cooked tortillas, you can add the beans to make up to six burritos on a plate.   

Each burrito is has a value 19 pips, so the full plate is worth 114 pips.   In contrast, each bite of mutton pie has a value of 15 pips and a full mutton pie is worth 60 pips.   But each pie only costs 1/4 wheat.  So for 1.5 wheat, you could bake six pies.  Six mutton pies are worth 360 pips, which is a much better use of wheat.  More than double the food at a lower cost and each pie stows in a backpack, taking up the same space as a single burrito.   The situation is similar with stew.   One bite of stew has a value of 14 pips and a bowl of stew has two bites.  Each crockpot holds 8 bowls of stew for a total value of 224 pips per crock of stew.  Stew involves other ingredients, but even accounting for the additional cost, you get more food value from using a bowl of dried beans in a crock of stew than from making a plate of burritos.

All that being said .. I like smooshing dough with a stick, so I will happy make bean burritos when the urge strikes me.  smile

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-14 05:08:05)

#6 2019-03-14 06:46:03

arkajalka

I hate when ppl bitch about doing variety foods. Always the same old freaking mutton pie. Its not like bread and mutton is a must. If you are desperate on pies you can slap dem pies up with carrots, rabbits and berries. Let the cooks enjoy their job and full scale of the magic art of making food.

Mutton pie munchers are just a evolved version of berry locusts.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#7 2019-03-14 06:48:43

DestinyCall

arkajalka wrote:

I hate when ppl bitch about doing variety foods. Always the same old freaking mutton pie. Its not like bread and mutton is a must. If you are desperate on pies you can slap dem pies up with carrots, rabbits and berries. Let the cooks enjoy their job and full scale of the magic art of making food.

Real men drink milk.  Whole milk and nothing else.

#8 2019-03-14 07:48:03

Ferna

antking:]# wrote:

This is just a small question... would you consider making Tacos and burritos baking? and are they even worth making?

Burritos are a resounding No No NO, as they're one of the rare cases where putting in tons of time to making it results in... less food that you started with. That puts them so low on the Yum totem pole, that it's often worth intervening to stop someone if you see them trying to make it under the (mistaken) assumption that they're helping the village food supply.

Pork Tacos are a Good If... recipe, primarily depending on whether: (1) You want to clean up Wild Pork that's cluttering village spaces and (2) You go and collect the limestone yourself. With ~80 clicks per plate of food it's pretty exhausting to make Tacos, but if you're up to it the food gain per batch is comparable to Mutton Pie and it uses Soil well (~7x better than Gooseberries). Builders also tend to be overjoyed if you end up hauling back enough Limestone (Plaster) for them to start on village upgrades.

Bean Tacos have a nearly-identical recipe but provide less food, so you're usually better off making Pork Tacos if you decide to go ahead with this type of cooking. However, all of these tend to be among the least interesting foods you can make in the Fire Pit workspace:
46460326195_495e69d9ef.jpg

#9 2019-03-14 08:05:20

Ferna

arkajalka wrote:

If you are desperate on pies you can slap dem pies up with carrots, rabbits and berries.

Avoid mixing Gooseberries into the same pies as Rabbit, though! Rabbit Berry Pie and Rabbit Berry Carrot Pie are the other major cases where you end up with less food than you started with.

Among the other types, Carrot Pies can be a great food for kids since the lower pip count means they can start eating it as early as Age 4 without wasting any. It's also ~2x better on Soil/Water than having kids eat Gooseberries and much faster than waiting for Bushes to refresh. However, the lack of visual differences between pie types can often make it frustrating for bakers to keep track of what needs restocking.

#10 2019-03-14 08:39:37

breezeknight

that's an interesting discussion

maybe tacos & especially burritos should be buffed then,
so they could win on efficiency

burritos have one advantage though
they can be put into containers

Ferna wrote:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7850/46460326195_e696e7e732_o.png

did you make that ? it's pretty awesome

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-14 08:47:28)

#11 2019-03-14 16:43:23

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Real men drink milk.  Whole milk and nothing else.

LOL. I would love to see a village with only "super efficient" players. No walls, no crowns, no flowers, no colored sweaters, just one cow and buckets of milk in a row with bowls. No farm for the people, just to grow food for the cow. And some folks with carts fetching soil to grow cow food.

The "we only eat the most efficient food" mini-game.

---
omnem cibum costis

#12 2019-03-14 16:45:57

futurebird

Ferna wrote:

Burritos are a resounding No No NO, as they're one of the rare cases where putting in tons of time to making it results in... less food that you started with. That puts them so low on the Yum totem pole, that it's often worth intervening to stop someone if you see them trying to make it under the (mistaken) assumption that they're helping the village food supply.

But you can't have a stack of pies on one plate and have 6 different people each take one and put them in their pack for later. To do that with pies you'd need 6 plates and they would need to be returned which makes clutter. All of this pip talk ignores factors like portability share-ability and compactness of storage.

---
omnem cibum costis

#13 2019-03-14 16:58:12

Booklat1

futurebird wrote:
Ferna wrote:

But you can't have a stack of pies on one plate and have 6 different people each take one and put them in their pack for later. To do that with pies you'd need 6 plates and they would need to be returned which makes clutter. All of this pip talk ignores factors like portability share-ability and compactness of storage.

except pies can be kept in bags for a lot more food per slot.

Also, the amount of clutter you'll make by raising pigs and having taco stations largely overweights pie clutter. Burritos are fun but arent great either.

Thing is mutton pies are almost free when you are composting, only milk really beats that.

#14 2019-03-14 17:12:07

futurebird

I think most of the reason making burritos and tacos make clutter is not enough people know what you are doing and there aren't really established patters for how such stations should be laid out.

Mutton pies are much easier and more important, but in a big village I would like to see more foods, and at some point I'll figure out how such a station should be set up. I tried once by making a little room with its own furnace (for the lime) but ran out of time in that life sine no one else understood what I was trying to do and people kept moving my extra bellows and kindling and rocks to the smith even though I'd collected my own extra materials for the purpose.

Perhaps the move is to find a town with a long road to nowhere (but a nowhere with a pond for water) and make a taco outpost town at the end of the road. Only invite those who know the way to join.

---
omnem cibum costis

#15 2019-03-14 18:05:04

fragilityh14

Booklat1 wrote:

Thing is mutton pies are almost free when you are composting, only milk really beats that.

yeah, it's a major balance problem in the food system. it's somewhat better now that shorn sheep produces dung, however, it still makes more sense to only use lambs. There's generally a bunch of grain and mutton lying around, so besides yum for fertility and convenience [and skeeter protection], it doesn't necessarily make sense to make anything else.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#16 2019-03-14 18:12:38

Booklat1

fragilityh14 wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

yeah, it's a major balance problem in the food system. it's somewhat better now that shorn sheep produces dung, however, it still makes more sense to only use lambs. There's generally a bunch of grain and mutton lying around, so besides yum for fertility and convenience [and skeeter protection], it doesn't necessarily make sense to make anything else.

Slightly nerfing compost and making pigs also poop could fix that.

#17 2019-03-14 19:15:33

DestinyCall

I assume the entry fee for joining Taco Town would be a baby piglet.

For burritos, the bare minimum equipment is one long shaft, a piece of kindling, two flat rocks, a round stone, access to water, a plate and two bowls.   In practice, it works better if you have five flat stones - four to place out dough and one to go on the hot coals.  Extra kindling for when you forget to cook the beans before you put on the hot rock.  As many bowls as you can find - for mass production, both beans and wheat go into bowls (and so does pork/corn masa), so if you want to prep all ingredients to mass-produce a bunch of burrito plates really fast, it requires a ton of bowls.  Five bowls is okay, ten bowls is better, fifteen bowls would be great.   For example, four bowls of cooked beans, six bowls of flour, and at least one extra bowl for water would let you make four plates of burritos quickly.

You really only need one straight shaft, but you might want an extra, in case someone walks off with your stick or lights it on fire.  A few extra plates are also good, but not as vital as extra bowls.

For tacos, the major difference is the slack lime to make the limed corn.   Again you need a lot of bowls, but for tacos, you also need limestone and access to a forge.   I would suggest setting up a pottery kiln in a suitable location.  Ideally not far from clay deposits, water, and if there happens to be badlands closeby, that is a great bonus.  Fire up a bunch of bowls and some plates.  Then make an extra bellows and melt limestone using some of the new bowls.    The village will benefit from the pottery and you will be set to make some fresh tacos.   The taco station can even get set-up close to the pottery kiln so the flat rocks can be re-used later for smithing, if necessary.    Being near a swamp means you will also be close to wild pork.   A corn farm would provide all the corn you nedd for tacos.  Add beans and wheat, if you want to do burritos.

#18 2019-03-14 19:23:16

ryanb
Website

What if:

1. More food options added for pork and carnitas (pies, baked ham, etc.)
2. Sheep no longer poop
3. Pigs poop

This would give a purpose to owning both pigs and sheep. Right now sheep are OP.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#19 2019-03-14 19:27:12

DestinyCall

Honestly, just being able to eat a bowl of carnitas would be awesome.   Pork is currently the only meat that MUST be heavily processed to be edible.   I see no reason why we can't eat a bowl of cooked beans or a bowl of cooked pork (carnitas).

#20 2019-03-14 19:30:13

futurebird

DestinyCall wrote:

I assume the entry fee for joining Taco Town would be a baby piglet.

For burritos, the bare minimum equipment is one long shaft, a piece of kindling, two flat rocks, a round stone, access to water, a plate and two bowls.   In practice, it works better if you have five flat stones - four to place out dough and one to go on the hot coals.  Extra kindling for when you forget to cook the beans before you put on the hot rock.  As many bowls as you can find - for mass production, both beans and wheat go into bowls (and so does pork/corn masa), so if you want to prep all ingredients to mass-produce a bunch of burrito plates really fast, it requires a ton of bowls.  Five bowls is okay, ten bowls is better, fifteen bowls would be great.   For example, four bowls of cooked beans, six bowls of flour, and at least one extra bowl for water would let you make four plates of burritos quickly.

You really only need one straight shaft, but you might want an extra, in case someone walks off with your stick or lights it on fire.  A few extra plates are also good, but not as vital as extra bowls.

For tacos, the major difference is the slack lime to make the limed corn.   Again you need a lot of bowls, but for tacos, you also need limestone and access to a forge.   I would suggest setting up a pottery kiln in a suitable location.  Ideally not far from clay deposits, water, and if there happens to be badlands closeby, that is a great bonus.  Fire up a bunch of bowls and some plates.  Then make an extra bellows and melt limestone using some of the new bowls.    The village will benefit from the pottery and you will be set to make some fresh tacos.   The taco station can even get set-up close to the pottery kiln so the flat rocks can be re-used later for smithing, if necessary.    Being near a swamp means you will also be close to wild pork.   A corn farm would provide all the corn you nedd for tacos.  Add beans and wheat, if you want to do burritos.

I shall build Taco Town some day. Look for the signs. Not real signs, obviously who has time to make a real sign LOL. Anyway, look for the Taco Outpost it is coming.

---
omnem cibum costis

#21 2019-03-14 19:52:46

Spoonwood

In my low population server runs so far I haven't cooked bean burritos early.  This comes as a significant mistake as I've learned.  The problem comes as that I end up with a whole mess of wheat all over the place.  I do eat a piece of bread and a piece of buttered bread towards cleaning that up some every life (since I've had a knife and cows).  Perhaps I should eat more pies also, though I've shied away from them lately for the most post.  If I had made bean burritos earlier I might have less excess unused wheat lying around.

Basically if you look at bigserver towns most of them come as significantly lacking in terms of diversity of foods.  The yum bonus does affect fertility and enables players to get things done in their later years.  So, making foods for yum purposes does end up worth it in that it shows and investment towards the betterment of your settlement with respect to fertility and productivity of your relatives (or yourself if Eve chaining).  So, if you want to increase the diversity of foods in a town bean burritos, bean tacos, and pork tacos can make for foods to cook.  But, that said increasing the diversity of foods can probably get more quickly achieved by cooking all eight of the pie types.  In terms of those three foods, bean burritos probably should precede bean tacos, which also probably precede pork tacos.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2019-03-14 19:57:11

Spoonwood

Ferna wrote:

Pork Tacos are a Good If... recipe, primarily depending on whether: (1) You want to clean up Wild Pork that's cluttering village spaces and (2) You go and collect the limestone yourself. With ~80 clicks per plate of food it's pretty exhausting to make Tacos, but if you're up to it the food gain per batch is comparable to Mutton Pie and it uses Soil well (~7x better than Gooseberries). Builders also tend to be overjoyed if you end up hauling back enough Limestone (Plaster) for them to start on village upgrades.

Bean Tacos have a nearly-identical recipe but provide less food, so you're usually better off making Pork Tacos if you decide to go ahead with this type of cooking. However, all of these tend to be among the least interesting foods you can make in the Fire Pit workspace:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7850/46460326195_495e69d9ef.jpg

Oh look... another set of calculations which completely ignore yum.  No, you can't know those numbers that precisely.  You need interval numbers or fuzzy numbers to have accuracy here (and for anyone who doesn't know fuzzy numbers are a thing... see here for example: http://www.cb.uu.se/~joakim/course/fuzz … /L9_4.pdf).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#23 2019-03-14 19:59:55

DestinyCall

I look forward to getting born into an Eve camp positioned at the meeting point between a massive swamp and equally enormous badlands for i will know that I have found the promised land.  Hopefully, the camp's small green space will be surrounded by an ample supply of wild pigs.    We will call them "walking tacos" for they are Nasoj's gift to our people.  Food that moves.  Food that fights back.  Food that kills those too weak to understand the joys of taco-making. 

There are no gooseberry bushes in Taco Town  because there are no sheep.  Never sheep - they are the anti-pig - Unclean and rejected by our wise traditions.  Our children eat only popcorn, for corn is the one true food, mother of tacos, creator of pigs and geese and cow.  From corn comes life and milk and masa.  Dirt must not be wasted on any inferior crops.  Our fields are rich with corn and the fields of dry corn keep our children safe from the wolves and bears that visit us regularly. 

The weak perish in Taco Town.  The strong wear wolf hats and eat a lot of tacos.

#24 2019-03-14 20:06:13

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Oh look... another set of calculations which completely ignore yum.  No, you can't know those numbers that precisely.  You need interval numbers or fuzzy numbers to have accuracy here (and for anyone who doesn't know fuzzy numbers are a thing... see here for example: http://www.cb.uu.se/~joakim/course/fuzz … /L9_4.pdf).

Feel free to provide your own calculations that include yum and fuzzy numbers.   I look forward to seeing what you are able to find out.   Food math is quite interesting, isn't it?

#25 2019-03-14 20:12:07

CrazyEddie

taco town's gonna have to send out a lotta expeditions to haul back soil

Board footer