One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-13 02:59:07

fragilityh14

I'm "warming up" to the concept of kids being intentional

It's been hard to place the causes of changes in lineages in the last month or so, with the important changes, your family line continuing, having kids etc

Though it's been a frustrating transition, pro-actively putting some effort into continuing your family line being important is a worthwhile gameplay mechanism.

I'm a pretty compulsive worker, so it's been driving me crazy, standing by the fire to get to right temp, and focusing on yum etc, and then seeing kids in lineage where girls live to 60 and have no children, etc,

But i really think this premise is strong, that some women focus their activities on procreating, and others go about their lives and produce some kids here and there, but women who focus on it have a bunch of kids.

Also, if i can get in the habit of it, it all works well, spending two minutes working with the kid next to you after each kid then going to the fire to get "pregnant" again. These systems were already in place, but naked in the desert being perfect temp, it mattered a lot less.

I just have to remember to play that way, to get all the BBs I want.

Anyway, how has this changed your play in terms of procreation, and how would you balance this further? I'm seriously just so compulsively busy, i can't make myself stand still to procreate the most, no matter how hard i try.

I still like the idea that a man a certain amount of relation away [or unrelated] is a fertility variable.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-03-13 15:06:04

DestinyCall

Re: I'm "warming up" to the concept of kids being intentional

Unless I'm the last female, I usually don't bother with the fertility mini-game.   As long as I am properly clothed, I get three or four babies in my lifetime even if I'm working hard.   That's more than adequate to replace me and continue the line, if I raise them properly.

I would rather spend a little extra time with each of my kids and gear them out properly rather than pumping out twice as many, only to have half of them starve because they are new and naked.  And if the rest of the village is producing tons of babies, I have even less reason to want to make more.  I do not miss chain-birthing baby after baby for thirty minutes every female life.  It was too much.

#3 2019-03-13 16:25:18

fragilityh14

DestinyCall wrote:

I do not miss chain-birthing baby after baby for thirty minutes every female life.  It was too much.

Yes, it was, especially if you're a softie like me and won't abandon them. Maybe I should spend more time raising them per kid, though nothing I do seems to increase my children's survival rate. I do kind of just pump them out and hope for the best.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-03-13 21:46:42

DestinyCall

The main things that I do when I want to increase my kid's survival chance is talk with them a little to find out if they are experienced, get them as much clothing as the village can spare, and make sure they have easy access to multiple food sources (and confirm that they know how to eat all of them). 

In some villages, this means a straw hat and a bowl of berries.   In another village, it might be a full set of clothing with a backpack filled with pies.  In a really poor village, I might not be able to give them anything, so if i really want them to live, I keep 'em close and continue to educate and breastfeed until they are too big to pick up.   If it is a braindead girl, she goes on a fire near the berry bushes.  If it is a new girl who is eager to learn, I'll teach her to tend bushes and composting, if we have the tools.  Otherwise, baking is a good village-centered task or making stew.  These tasks keep you close to food and teach your kids how to feed themselves and the whole village.   For boys, I might bring them with me while I go hunt rabbits or do other things away from the village, as long as they have food available.  Not enough clothing for all kids is quite common, so starvation is never far away.   When actively teaching a kid, I will force feed a berry if I haven't seen them stop to eat in a while.   They get distracted and forget or don't want to leave while I'm talking and risk early death. 

I encourage my kids to carry bowl foods - berry or popcorn - with them everywhere if they do not have a backpack to store food yet.   This food can be set down close by while they work on a task and acts as emergency food if they are working too hard to take regular food breaks.  Underestimating how quickly you must respond to the hunger bell while naked and young is responsible for a high percentage of early deaths.

Board footer