One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-13 10:36:47

TAIOAN

The death of OHOL?

I found out that there is no much meaning to play, since I can hardly build any relationship after that life.
Should it be that kind of the game?

Anxious one hour passed.

Void.

Start over.

Maybe we can have something, such as  the "soul binding" system, people can easily use command to request/accept to make friend after that life.
They can see their friend online or not in the main page, send them message, play together.

I prefer to make friend in the game if it can.
As I observed that game make social usually last for much long time.

I always give my children a lovely Tâigí(Taiwanese) name, súi(beautiful)!

#2 2019-03-13 10:41:34

Bob 101

Re: The death of OHOL?

Can always use discord and forums to find each other after. Post a lineage link and ask around.

Once you find them, You can Twin with them for many hours.

Or you can play the Chinese knockoff.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-03-13 10:44:14)

#3 2019-03-13 10:58:34

breezeknight

as far i understand OHOL, is that you are a small part of a whole community, this is the experience

though you will meet people in game that become in that short life span, one hour, few minutes, dear enough that you could cry for real when they die
the game is emotionally moving, not every life, many lives are not only meaningless but outright annoying with annoying people around you, but you still will live through lives which will become significant to you & where you will become significant to the others

i think meantime, it would skew the experience of the lives if you knew who you are playing with
skew in a positive & a negative way, you would settle for old friends & old enemies, without such a knowledge, everybody has another chance either to become constructive after a series of lives being obnoxious or to become a villain after a series of lives of a saint big_smile

that's the pure OHOL experience
if you twin, you miss out on that
to twin is a second rate OHOL gameplay imo big_smile

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-13 11:00:33)

#4 2019-03-13 12:04:00

TAIOAN

Bob 101 wrote:

Can always use discord and forums to find each other after. Post a lineage link and ask around.

Once you find them, You can Twin with them for many hours.

Or you can play the Chinese knockoff.

Yeh, I know.

I prefer to play Taiwanese to global online.

#5 2019-03-13 12:05:02

TAIOAN

breezeknight wrote:

as far i understand OHOL, is that you are a small part of a whole community, this is the experience

though you will meet people in game that become in that short life span, one hour, few minutes, dear enough that you could cry for real when they die
the game is emotionally moving, not every life, many lives are not only meaningless but outright annoying with annoying people around you, but you still will live through lives which will become significant to you & where you will become significant to the others

i think meantime, it would skew the experience of the lives if you knew who you are playing with
skew in a positive & a negative way, you would settle for old friends & old enemies, without such a knowledge, everybody has another chance either to become constructive after a series of lives being obnoxious or to become a villain after a series of lives of a saint big_smile

- - -

I see.
THX for sharing!

#6 2019-03-13 15:24:55

CrazyEddie

TAIOAN wrote:

I found out that there is no much meaning to play, since I can hardly build any relationship after that life.

This is exactly the kind of game it is intended to be. This is exactly the experience the game's creator wants you to have.

It's why the name of the game is "ONE Life". You get one life, and you get one hour to live that life, and that's all you get. It's up to you to make the most of it. You depend on the people who lived before you to build a good civilization for you to live in, just as the people who will come after you are depending on you to take good care of it and make it better than you found it.

Because, you see, that's exactly what life is like in the real world. You get ONE life. OHOL compresses the experience of living your actual, real world life - your one and only life - into a game you can play in an hour.

And then, if you choose, you can do it again. That's the one advantage to this game that you can't do in real life, unless you believe in reincarnation. But every playthrough is supposed to be a fresh start, with no relationships to build with any players except the ones you meet in your current life, and those relationships will die when you do. Just like in the real world.

#7 2019-03-13 15:26:06

CrazyEddie

breezeknight wrote:

This is very perceptive.

#8 2019-03-13 16:23:39

fragilityh14

TAIOAN wrote:

literally the point, try to do something meaningful in the one hour of life you have.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2019-03-13 17:11:01

DestinyCall

When I explain OHOL to other people, they frequently ask me why I keep playing if I nothing I do really matters and I lose all my efforts after one hour of life.

It is hard to explain, because they are right .. but they are also very wrong.   This is a game about life.  About living one life and making your mark on the world.  About hopefully leaving a legacy that outlasts your own existence.   It wouldn't be the same game if you could get reborn into the same village when you died.   It wouldn't have the same impact if I could guarantee that my projects would be completed eventually by my own hands.   There's something really magical about getting born into a village and recognizing the layout from a few hours or days earlier.  Knowing that you helped make this village and it is still alive after however many generations.

One of the fascinating things about OHOL is it is a multiplayer game, but it is essentially a single-player experience.  Each life is my own, even though I share it with many other people.   I am connected to my village, but it is up to me to decide how much I care about the other villagers and if I form emotional connections with my mother/father/siblings.  Sometimes, that  is something I want to do.  Other times, I just focus on the work. 

The best lives are usually the ones where something unique or entertaining happens - emergent gameplay that isn't planned or necessary but happens just because we are all people struggling to survive together in a harsh and unforgiving world.   I usually have a project or goal for my life.  Something I want to accomplish before I die.  Sometimes I achieve my goals, other times I fail quite spectacularly.   Most of the time I enjoy myself and keep coming back for more.    I keep going because even though this game is called One Hour One Life, it doesn't end with just one life.  It keeps going and going and going.

#10 2019-03-13 17:21:15

breezeknight

people who don't understand the point of OHOL, the fleeting life
will have a very hard time dealing with RL, cause RL is exactly like that, fleeting, everything breaks at some point, life itself as well

#11 2019-03-13 18:11:33

Portager

A trend in recent months has been the collapse of in-game relationships and community building.

Maybe 1 out of every 50 games or so I will have a life where I actually miss another player, and 1 out of 100 where I miss them enough to try to figure out who they are/connect with them.

Case in point, a couple of weeks ago I befriended another little boy at the nursery fire and became his friend. The rest of the game we hung out and worked together; we made each other food, clothes, made a rose bush, made paper, wrote notes and then died side by side. Our infectious friendship rubbed off on many people in the village, and they offered to bury us. This was such a precious life that I ended up becoming this person's friend on discord. If you ever have a 1/100 life like this, it would behoove you to make a connection via Steam or Discord, or risk never seeing that person again.

Yesterday I had a cool son who I hung out with some, but it wasn't quite at that 1/100 level, so I didn't ask for their contact. I reserve asking people for their contact for those really special lives, because when I haven't done this a few times in the past, I deeply regretted it.

#12 2019-03-13 20:55:36

karltown_veteran

Portager wrote:

A trend in recent months has been the collapse of in-game relationships and community building.

Maybe 1 out of every 50 games or so I will have a life where I actually miss another player, and 1 out of 100 where I miss them enough to try to figure out who they are/connect with them.

Case in point, a couple of weeks ago I befriended another little boy at the nursery fire and became his friend. The rest of the game we hung out and worked together; we made each other food, clothes, made a rose bush, made paper, wrote notes and then died side by side. Our infectious friendship rubbed off on many people in the village, and they offered to bury us. This was such a precious life that I ended up becoming this person's friend on discord. If you ever have a 1/100 life like this, it would behoove you to make a connection via Steam or Discord, or risk never seeing that person again.

Yesterday I had a cool son who I hung out with some, but it wasn't quite at that 1/100 level, so I didn't ask for their contact. I reserve asking people for their contact for those really special lives, because when I haven't done this a few times in the past, I deeply regretted it.

For me, missing people is more 1 in 4, since I tend to rp more, and flock to people who like talking. I still haven't forgotten some of them:
Male 014 A who talked with me nonstop for maybe twenty minutes as we acted weird.. he had to go after the 20 mins. After he died there didn't seem much point in staying.
Male 015 F who helped me get away with murder (it was justified so hush), joked around with me, and became a nudist with me.
Male 005 D (Named Seala) who banged me behind a tree when no one else would (don't judge me). Then we adopted a son together. It was rad.
Male 002 D (Named Sixto, how could I forget) who wiped out our whole town. I was the last one to drop. He told me to remember him for his heinous acts. Ok, sure, he was a griefer, but I still remember him.
My girlfriends in the rose town ( mostly Female 001 and Female 003)... I don't remember your names but I gave you all roses. I had like eight girlfriends in one town... I was a happy little boy.
..and many, many, many more. Some of them I remember were long ago, but stuck with me. (Sixto was right after the bleed-out-before-you're-murdered update)

Edit: Sixto was around March 16th, 2018.. Like, a year ago.

Last edited by karltown_veteran (2019-03-13 20:58:41)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#13 2019-03-13 22:14:34

InSpace

Cosmetical options as a reward for game time played would be
e13.png

Board footer