One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-10 19:11:28

CrazyEddie

Re: JASON! You need to fix the area ban!

Tarr wrote:

I don't think anyone had actually started transplanting second lineages into a town to continue working so much as on server reset having multiple lineages due to everyone closely spawning together around a town. You turned the absolute best time to play the game into the absolute worst because the game devolves into constant Evedom due to being dumped further out because you cannot spawn anywhere near the original Eves or their camps.

I'm pretty sure that there's supposed to be a lot of Eves when the server restarts.

What is it that you think you're being deprived of at server restart that doesn't boil down to "I want to be reborn in or close to the town I just died in"?

You used to get a nice interaction between different families while now you're better off just killing anyone in your surrounding area.

The effect of the area ban is almost certainly small, and sterilizing the nearby towns will do very little to improve your town's fertility. If you are in town Foo and you're close to town Bar then your pool of children is "Everyone on the server who hasn't recently been born in Foo or Bar". That's not significantly smaller than "Everyone on the server who hasn't recently been born in Foo".

#27 2019-03-10 19:52:14

Peremptive

it makes no sense that the eve spiral is smaller than the area ban. The only way this system would work is if most Eves died off so that all settlements were 2000 tiles apart, which is not the case, or if settlements within 2000 tiles typically connected into one village, which is also very unlikely. So the area ban greatly overestimates how large a city is. It would make more sense if the eve spiral was 750 tiles and the area ban was 500, with the spiral being larger to minimize the risk of eves moving closer together by the time they settle.

#28 2019-03-10 20:12:46

CrazyEddie

Peremptive wrote:

it makes no sense that the eve spiral is smaller than the area ban. The only way this system would work is if most Eves died off so that all settlements were 2000 tiles apart, which is not the case, or if settlements within 2000 tiles typically connected into one village, which is also very unlikely.

I believe it is in fact the case that most Eves die off and that settlements are rather far apart - at least, successful settlements. Watch Chard's visualization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEh-iOxUSQ - and note how the successful settlements are far apart relative to the closely-spaced transient blips of the Eve spawns racing around the circle.

#29 2019-03-10 21:44:02

fragilityh14

Besides Chard's crazy visualization, I've accidentally ran along the Eve spiral before (at least, i'm pretty damn sure that's what was going on), and most attempted Eve camps really do accomplish an incredibly small amount.

I don't know that i have any answers- and as Tarr kindly explained I was misunderstanding the issue entirely- but in my subjective experience playing in a limited number of civs it seems as if that has changed birth patterns far more than intended, and reduced average generation survival a great deal.

I do think that Tarr is going to do what it takes to play the game how he wants, and unless he's causing serious problems for other players I don't know if it's worth changing the game to thwart him. Tarr doesn't seem to be malicious, it's not like Joriom causing all the problems he can to prove a point.

Then again, I don't use discord, so i probably have a limited idea what goes on with the experience of the higher level players.

I have been in a civ where too many people were devoted plane production and a lot of other important stuff was not getting done, so that well could have been Tarr directing them, i suppose, but that was the game being played as intended lol

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#30 2019-03-10 21:50:53

CrazyEddie

I for one would like to know that if there's a plane (or monorail! or atomic robot!) it managed to get built because the players have figured out how to achieve intergenerational cooperation and productivity, and not because the plane fairy spent a few lives there making one as a gift.

#31 2019-03-11 04:11:04

fragilityh14

CrazyEddie wrote:

I for one would like to know that if there's a plane (or monorail! or atomic robot!) it managed to get built because the players have figured out how to achieve intergenerational cooperation and productivity, and not because the plane fairy spent a few lives there making one as a gift.

well, that's a fair point, but this game includes an incredible amount of stuff to learn, so besides a small amount of "pro" players knowing the most complex crafting recipes, really the only other alternative is having consistently stable enough societies that some players only learn higher level tech.

I mean, i personally do need to work on continuing to move up the tech tree, cause I know way more of the necessary survival stuff, but I'm a long ass way from learning what i need to know to make planes.

At the same time, another way to look at this, was Jason's original idea was that it would take a really long time to advance to the tech he had made, which hasn't been the case, because a small number of people are high-tech aficionados who always get through any complex new tech.

Also, you said the thing about the "plane god", but some dude in a plane landing in a primitive civ and not having fuel to return and spending the rest of his life there is like my favorite storyline thing i've heard in this game lol

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#32 2019-03-11 12:22:01

hmrka

Area ban is horrible because it makes /die worthless. I don't feel like checking stdout file every time when I spawn in a bad camp just to check if theres not a huge city 1.5 km away... If I don't wanna get stuck in eve hell I just gotta run off like I used to and its annoying.

Jason, please, if you really like your area ban idea atleast lower it so its not 2km! And lineage ban was better... Even If a city did have two lineages going it was still rare because eves cant spawn into towns and now you can't twin with someone to avoid lineage ban. I feel like you fixed it enough, we really dont need area ban!

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#33 2019-03-11 14:27:38

jinbaili83

Radius of 2000 is definitely too large especialy after server restart.
map

#34 2019-03-18 01:23:07

BladeWoods

Was anything done about this in the recent update?

#35 2019-03-18 01:31:37

Thaulos

I believe area ban (radius?) went from 2000 to 200

Board footer