One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-07 23:54:49

omlinson

Open Letter to Jason

I bet you didn't think this whole situation would happen with this game.

Would I be wrong to assume this is the game that has gotten the most amount of success compared to the previous ones?

Keep fighting for your ideals.

Your transparency is part of what I like about this game in the first place.

#2 2019-03-07 23:58:11

jord1990

Re: Open Letter to Jason

0.o I honestly thought oh boi here we go again. But its actually a normal post!

#3 2019-03-08 00:03:01

omlinson

Hehehehe, I felt like it might lighten up the mood.

For those still wanting to talk law, please just read: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/p … n/welcome/ + https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/p … ble-spots/ + http://dearrichblog.blogspot.com/ but do so in the threads that are already full of fake lawyers.

This is meant to just be a: i like this game thread and Jason have fun during your upcoming talk thread.

Last edited by omlinson (2019-03-08 00:04:42)

#4 2019-03-08 00:13:51

ruanna

you're a good person, omlinson smile

#5 2019-03-08 03:26:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thanks!

To answer:

No, I didn't anticipate this happening exactly.  Most adaptations don't go anywhere, nor cause any confusion, and no one has ever tried to copyright or trademark my work "out from underneath" me before, not in China or anywhere else.  No one has ever claimed sole authorship of my work before.  No one has ever mixed my artwork with Don't Starve artwork before.  No one has ever released a free version of my game with ads in it before.  A whole bunch of new things have happened!

Yes, the game has been very successful, 4x more successful than any of my previous games.

#6 2019-03-08 05:59:06

Baker

jasonrohrer wrote:

Thanks!

To answer:

No, I didn't anticipate this happening exactly.  Most adaptations don't go anywhere, nor cause any confusion, and no one has ever tried to copyright or trademark my work "out from underneath" me before, not in China or anywhere else.  No one has ever claimed sole authorship of my work before.  No one has ever mixed my artwork with Don't Starve artwork before.  No one has ever released a free version of my game with ads in it before.  A whole bunch of new things have happened!

Yes, the game has been very successful, 4x more successful than any of my previous games.

Has this experience changed your stance on copyright?

Seems like others have abused the relative freedom you had given them.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2019-03-08 16:36:09

denriguez

Baker wrote:

Has this experience changed your stance on copyright?

Seems like others have abused the relative freedom you had given them.

Also interested in this, but in particular, I'm interested in whether you're now reconsidering the value of something like CC-BY or GPL as opposed to CC-0. I'm fascinated by your decision to release your work into the public domain. I'm not at all a gamer outside of OHOL, but was immediately drawn to OHOL when I learned that this is how you operate.

Board footer