One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-06 12:24:50

Whatever

[Idea] Anti Starve

Too many people are starving. So many of my kids are starving, so i would like to see this:

- Visual indicator when starving. (For example you only have 3 pips left then you get a red pulsating border around your screen, which gets stronger the less pips you have)
- The last pip takes 2 times as long to run out, the second last takes 1.5 times as long
- People get a starving face expression when they have only a few pips left. Then you can feed them and save their lives.

#2 2019-03-06 12:46:57

Aurora Aurora

Re: [Idea] Anti Starve

No... just no.

Not starving is meant to be a challenge, making it this easy would ruin the difficulty of the game

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2019-03-06 12:49:27

Bob 101

Anti-Starve: Food

#4 2019-03-06 12:51:54

mric

you have a visual indicator already + sound
in wild you can easily feed yourself with no problem and in town you shouldn't starve unless no one is in kitchen or farm (in which case the town deserves starving)

#5 2019-03-06 13:06:04

Whatever

Most of the people here on the forum will have no problem with getting to old age.
These ideas are meant to help new people / less experienced people.

#6 2019-03-06 15:59:13

Stylingirl

They just have to get used to looking at their hunger bar and listening for the warning pings. There is a clear indicator in the corner that tells you when you're hungry and starving. New players will never be able to get used to it if we give them an easier option. Also engine wise, I'm not sure how viable that would be considering that would be UI and Jason's engine doesn't have UI set up yet.

#7 2019-03-06 17:41:21

fragilityh14

i don't think there needs to be more of an indicator, i do agree, however, that it's confounding how many small children die of starvation around camp. Especially as toddlers should be doing the berry bush maintenance

The hunger bar is not really different from watching a power bar or health bar in other games. People who play videogames, in general, can be expected to already be used to paying attention to such things. I mean, yum and temperature are more complicated, but not letting the hunger bar get to zero is a very basic concept.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#8 2019-03-06 19:59:37

DestinyCall

As a new player, you have a lot of other things to learn and identifying food items is harder when you don't know that stew comes in crock pots or what all the different types of bowl foods (popcorn, green beans, turkey broth, sauerkraut) look like on the ground.   There are a lot of non-food things that go in bowls and look alike too.   You might be able to visually identify a pie as food when it is on the ground, but you might not recognize pies in a basket or be able to get a basket out of a box onto the ground and then pick up a pie to eat it before you die of starvation. 

It might seem obvious that you should spend a good chunk of your childhood near easy food sources, but if you are new and curious about the world, you might get bored of standing next to the berry bushes and start wandering around the village looking at objects and interacting with your environment.  When the hunger bell rings, you might think you have enough time to get back to the only food you know .. but actually if you do not turn back immediately, you will die before you reach something you recognize as edible, despite many other options being available all around you. 

As a veteran player, it is easy to forget how hard this game can be for people who don't know all the tricks.   For my new children, I encourage them to carry a bowl of gooseberries at all times as emergency food.  They live much longer with that advice.   A pie in the backpack also works, but that requires them to be able to use a backpack quickly and correctly. Even I will occassionally fumble around with my pack  - put food in or fail to take it out by mistake when I am in a hurry - and I consider myself to be a (relatively) good player.   That is enough to get you killed, if you wait too long between meals.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-03-06 22:15:48)

#9 2019-03-06 23:02:34

breezeknight

there is already a sound indicator, loud & clear

& in general, you should be aware, OHOL is a tough survival game, learn it or leave it

it's really learnable though,
i can survive most times & if i die it's not because of the temp & hunger, i did so quite from the start & that was before deserts & jungles were introduced, so it was just cold everywhere

stay fed, carry food with you, have a home marker, don't run behind trees, omit jungles, watch out in danger zones (badlands, swamps, deserts) & in general everywhere for wolves, boars, snakes & mosquitos, make space if someone is running with open knife or bow&arrow in hand
those are the principles every player has to know instinctively or will succumb to one of the dangers present

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-03-06 23:03:24)

#10 2019-03-06 23:10:53

Peremptive

Eh the food bar is all you need.
But it would be neat if there were a few visual stages to hunger though. If your bar is full you would have a slightly extended belly and rosy chubby cheeks. If you are at 3/4ths you will be äs you are now. at half you will start getting a little leaner. At 1/4 you would get sucked in cheeks and get even leaner.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-03-06 23:11:08)

Board footer