One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-21 22:49:13

draequine

The Three Queen System

tl;dr:
Strive to have a lineage of three female leaders. The youngest of which stokes the main fire, makes tools, pies, clothes, and keep the babies fed and taught. The middle of which inspects the farms, compost, sheep, and gives tours to the young one at a time. The oldest defends against bears/griefers, take stock of ruinables, clears graves, decide on population, and what project the village should focus on.

As they age, become sterile, and eventually die they pass their title(Crown) to their daughter and so on and so forth.

Also, enforce the idea that babies choose their own names once they have hair and that their names are related to what they do with their lives.

Three Queen System
I've come up with an organizational tradition I want to try out. Starting from a single Eve with the name 'Fire' who either finds or starts her own village. As Fire, she needs to make a fire, keep it stoked, and keep her surrounding area stocked with food until she has a daughter.
Survival does take precedence, so Fire should make sure that it is a semi-stable situation before committing to fire tending (Small carrot farm, plenty of wood / steel axe available nearby, Rabbits)
Once she does raise a daughter, she becomes 'Toil' and her daughter will be Fire.

Toil must now work to keep order. She must make sure that the farmers (Herself if there aren't any) are focused, keeping a clear Seeding plot and a compost system going. Any child that is birthed in the village must be given a full tour by Toil, who then gives them to Fire who will feed and teach them. If Fire is too young to breastfeed, then she should hand feed unless if there isn't enough food. In which case Toil will raise only one child to independence and the others will starve.

By this time, other villagers should be bringing materials required forge tools, or pies for Fire to make in addition to fire tending and teaching. Once Toil is too old to give birth, she become 'Shed' and Fire becomes Toil. Shed will then pick the youngest haired female to be the new Fire while Toil strives to improve any farming system in addition to keeping everything stable and giving tours to babies.

Shed will carry the knife and arrows, so as to defend against bears and griefers. Shed will keep track of the villagers and the amount of food. She will keep track of the current tools, and check for graves so nothing is lost in a crowded area. She will search the area for stray baskets and carts, and return them. It is she who has the last say, and once she is too old to roam she will return to Fire and tell her the Direction the village should take. Then, Toil will be Shed, Fire will be Toil, and a new Fire is chosen.

Helpful aids for this system
Three crowns for three queens
Fire has the leaf crown, as it is a leaf that is required for fire.
Toil has the Carrot crown, as it is the product of her toil.
Shed has the Wolf crown, as she is the one that sheds the village of its dead weight
No crowns?
Then Fire wears no clothes, as fire is warm enough.
Toil wears a reed skirt, fur shirt, wool hat as products of her toils.
Shed wears a wolf hat and seal coat, since she should be the major hunter here.
Not advanced enough?
Still no clothes for Fire, fire and all that after all.
Toil gets a shawl.
Shed gets a full rabbit shirt, since if you haven't managed to get that at least, then your area is a lost cause.

Why?
Structure is needed to get a group focused. Sure, you will get plenty of people who know more or less what is supposed to be done to accomplish "tasks" (i.e. Making fire, forges, pies, tools, compost, sheep) but without a stated system they will often enough go off willy nilly in their own direction, and that's how you get 8 separate oven bases/forges, 3 dry wells, fields of abandoned dead berry bushes, lost tools, a dozen baskets of soil wasted on seeding carrots because the farmer died, and a village dying in a miserable whimper.

And that isn't counting those with fatal gaps in their knowledge, like those who misspick milkweed, pick from any domestic berries, give themselves heat stroke from trying to 'warm' themselves in front of a fire fully clothed and chop down the only fire starting trees in 15 screens from the village.

In my opinion it is best to make sure that each new addition to the village is on the level with the matriarchs before they are allowed to work instead of just raising them and hoping they know what to do with their time.

The deal with the names
I feel that names should be four characters long and relate to what that person will do with their lives. That way, children can name themselves once they have hair and are ready to work. Additionally, its quicker to get someones attention with the current communication problems going on.

And once it's common its much easier to give direction to someone who decided to name themselves 'Clay','Wool','Beri','Move', and like instead of waiting for them to five or so lines to get their point across

#2 2018-03-21 23:51:58

Hans Lemurson

Re: The Three Queen System

This reminds me of how bee colonies operate, with the youngest bees taking care of the newly hatched, the next oldest maintaining the hive, and then the oldest venture out into the dangerous world.

#3 2018-03-22 02:30:47

EmmyGamba

Sounds like a solid concept.

That's exactly the kind system of I expect to establish itself in the future. One or a bunch of queens and their organize the whole thing as leaders while also giving birth and raising their "workers". Kinda like ants or bees.

I also want to add that you probably want to kill all not needed female babies, since you don't want to give anyone else than a queen the ability to make new babies. You want mostly male workers that can fulfil their purpose without any interuptions.

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-22 02:31:24)

#4 2018-03-22 03:58:57

RunnersShade

I think it would work well, although I think it would be good to have each person have a "Princess" if you will, so that in the odd case that 2 of the three die, or even all three, then the system could continue.

Accidental deaths happen way too much (side eyes person standing in front of nearest food basket when I was at 3 hunger >.>)

This all sounds great, but also, sorta makes me wonder whether or not it's feasible by being able to teach people fast enough. It took me about 5-10 years just to teach my brother how to compost, let alone make pies.  Otherwise, I'd give this a go.

#5 2018-03-22 04:16:25

draequine

It's really hard to implement in an ongoing village with lots  people scurrying around. As for other female members, They should just dump their kids on Fire for her to decide who lives.

Some things do take time to teach, but just pointing where everything is at and what not to mess with without asking should work wonders. It should also improve communication as Fire is a static leader who reports to the others when they visit her to return children, clothes, and tools.

#6 2018-03-22 04:37:31

EmmyGamba

I've seen mothers raise children secretly in villages with such rules. They will just waste your food instead of working and then either float the village with overpopulation or run away with the children.

Even done that myself once, when I wasn't allowed to have my boy in a big village. Raised him until he was old enough eat, then we took a cart full of food before we escaped. They hunted us with bows for a long time - but they didn't get us.

You really don't want stuff like that to happen in an efficenty organized village. However another more friendly way to solve this would be to raise them until they're old enough to care for themselfes before they have to leave. You'd at least give them a chance to live that way

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-22 04:39:34)

#7 2018-03-22 08:42:20

Helperguy

EmmyGamba wrote:

Sounds like a solid concept.

That's exactly the kind system of I expect to establish itself in the future. One or a bunch of queens and their organize the whole thing as leaders while also giving birth and raising their "workers". Kinda like ants or bees.

I also want to add that you probably want to kill all not needed female babies, since you don't want to give anyone else than a queen the ability to make new babies. You want mostly male workers that can fulfil their purpose without any interuptions.

1. there are not enough users online to kill female babies.
i have seen many communities die because of such rules.

2. the map is big enough for everyone to survive. it just depends on the reborn babies if they are experts and see what the community needs.
if a mother cannot teach the child the correct role, then its not the child which is useless - the mother is.

3.you can live in each ruderal area from birth to 60 when you never stop working. some people stop working when they have a child, even if the community needs a farming mother or someone who makes pies or a hunter.

queens are completely useless, because they will never  have the chance to control every user. what do you do if the farmer leaves his carrots in the earth and they will soon become flowering? you will have no time to play "queen" . damn you have to be a farming mother then.

#8 2018-03-22 19:12:08

draequine

This is a system that is hard to put into practice, granted, but putting the focus on making sure that each member is taught on a one to one basis is much better then just having a population explosion even if the amount of food allows it.

This system uses three queens to allow for a more stable way to progress, but I can see that in plenty of cases this may be vulnerable when it comes to key parts of the village vs their roles as queen.  Toil can't seriously work the farm AND give a tour to each fresh born after all.

So, this system only has a real chance of working in an obnoxiously stocked village that an eve stumbles upon.

This system is rather dependent on couriours to deliver supplies to Fire, and alert Shed and Toil of new births.

But I still believe in this system since is has such an ideal progression for a village to go through from rebounding to death;
Fire stocks the pies, once she becomes Toil she stocks the fields, and finally as she becomes Shed she tidy ups before she passes away for the new Fire to come.

As for those that want to leave, I believe that should be allowed, but they should be forced to replace what they want to take before they go

#9 2018-03-22 22:32:35

EmmyGamba

Helperguy wrote:

i have seen many communities die because of such rules.

Well I've had some pretty good experiences with that so far. I build my villages around similiar principles and they always thrive for generations. Sometimes I'm even born back again into one of my communites a few hours later. And guess what? Its still going strong.

Helperguy wrote:

if a mother cannot teach the child the correct role, then its not the child which is useless - the mother is

So you're telling me if I decide to don't give a fuck about my mother and her rules its her fault? I like that. Always love to blame others or my actions. Seriously though babies are actual players and chances are they may have different goals than you in mind. No matter how well you teached them.

Helperguy wrote:

Queens are completely useless, because they will never have the chance to control every user.

While it is true that can't control every user - that's not the point. The basis of any society are rules and the ability to communicate them. As a mother you're the first, most respected and best source of information for that. You're the one to show the newborn the way of your village. And most people who actually want to play the game will want to help out and follow what you tell them. Especially if they see that everyone is following the same rules aswell. Its the power to give your community the direction it needs.

Beeing a matriach not useless task.

Helperguy wrote:

what do you do if the farmer leaves his carrots in the earth and they will soon become flowering?

I don't think any efficently advanced village will have only one farmer. And if there aren't enough people working on the field - then its your job to find someone to replace them. People not doing their jobs, leaving or dying will always happen. In most places no one will either notice or care and everyone will just go on with their buisness until its too late. At least from what I've seen.

However the difference here is, that you have someone keeping an eye on things to make sure problems like that are solved as quickly as possible.

Helperguy wrote:

you will have no time to play "queen" . damn you have to be a farming mother then.

We are not discussing a small three people settlement in the woods here, where its maybe just a farmer, your baby and you. The system draequine suggested is clearly meant for larger communities. While most likely not perfect, its at least an approach into the direction of a more organized society.

Your chaotic view however, with everyone doing what they want, tons of uncontrolable births and the premise that most people will just figure out what the village needs by themselfes - that's just not going to work out in the long run.

Ever heard about "Tragedy Of The Commons"?

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-22 22:34:43)

#10 2018-03-23 06:28:17

Hans Lemurson

I think the most useful element of this idea is the age-based caste system.

Board footer