One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 19:42:43

Jason's_Mind

Mr Jason Rohrer. Is this post that controversial?

First of all, i am no one, im not a journalist, i not a cyberlawyer, i hadnt sued anyone in my life and i dont want a refund.
I just want to share my opinion and see what other players think about my opinion. When other users wants to reopen the thread is because it has arguable information.
The more you ban the post the more i think you are hidding something and the more i think its important and i have to post it again (sorry for my english).
Look, dont ban the post, im not going to post every day or every week, im sure in about two weeks i will be tired and you are not gonig to see me again.
I feel i cant express myself, i cant post this here in the Main forum of the game neither in Reddit or Discord (the moderator told me to go to these sites).
What should i do?

This post has been banned from the Main Forum of OHOL and 3 times from reddit. They dont want you to read it.

Video 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT4JktcVQuE

Video 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu2eszsIg

We are adults talking about important things, such as how much a product costs and what you are receiving in return. There is a lot of controversy currently with games like Fallout 76 so it's totally reasonable for people to ask about this kind of thing.

The first is a masterpiece of the ''clickbait'', i put a lot of effort into that video, every word, image, sound, were carefully selected with the same precision as a Soviet sniper who chooses his victim. The road, the car, the robot, my house! Simply marvelous.

The second video is called a hard clickbait, the thumbnail shows the phrase: ''Ten thousand craftable objects'', then you travel until you reach 260. When I made this video I did not expect anyone to know how to add or subtract but if you have any problem, go to the game, count all the possible craftable objects, make a list, post it here and prove me wrong.

On the topic of the 100 craftable objects, the thing works as follows, I started adding a lot of new content, over time a lot of bugs appeared (I could test the changes and avoid a lot of them but i have the players for that, and some of them spend a lot of hours testing for me so you know, it's free labor), so I came up with an idea, this week instead of adding new content I'll fix bugs. And guess what? Nobody complained, it is more, they like it.

Normally when you create something and you create it wrong for some reason, you have to spend extra hours to solve the mistakes, that is not my case, i thank all the people who appreciate and respect the work I am doing and my work schedule. This last update took me 4 hours to think about the changes and another 24 hours to program everything. I am a hard worker, I work 8 hours 5 days a week, what am I doing with the rest of the time?

#2 2019-02-21 23:11:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Mr Jason Rohrer. Is this post that controversial?

Well, I think your stuff was removed because there was some confusion about you impersonating me or something.

It wasn't my decision.

I think what you're doing is pretty funny!

Over the 9 months of regular updates before the Steam release, I realized that I was almost never meeting the 100 objects/week promise.  Even if I made a "huge" update, and there have been a lot of those, it didn't really end up containing 100 new objects, more like 80 in the really big updates.  I think there have been one or two updates that actually contain over 100 new objects.

The number 100 was a carry-over from a previous 2-person version of this game.  The idea, way back then, was that two people, working together, could easily churn out 150 objects each week.  That's only 30 a day, or 6 an hour, during a 5-hour work day.

The idea was that, at 150 objects a week, we could meet the 10K quota in a little more than a year, or two years with some wiggle room.

When my partner left the project a few years ago, it became a one-person project.  I lowered my sights somewhat, down to 100 a week, but it wasn't low enough.  50 a week is more realistic.

AND:

That is why the Steam version of that trailer says "Dozens of New Craftable Objects Added Every Week"

Now, why don't I change the other trailer?  Because you can't change a YouTube video.  It's simply not possible, once posted.  I could post a new video, and disable the old one, and maybe I should.... but that would lose all of the video history (view count, comments, post date, etc).  But also, all existing links to the old one would break.

Now, in terms of Dozens, I have definitely hit that since the November Steam release.  Since November 8, there have been 511 new objects in 15 weeks, or 34 per week.  Ignoring the weeks of Christmas, and Thanksgiving (which still saw an update), that's 39 per week.

Bear in mind that 511 objects is more than most games contain in total....

Since the February 27 launch off-Steam, there have been 1508 new objects.  It has been 51 weeks since then, or 29 new objects per week on average.

That is way more NEW objects in one year than most games have in total.  In the mean time, all sorts of other features and improvements were added (like naming babies, relationship names in-game, tutorial, murder evidence, curses, monuments, apocalypse, family tree browser, twin support, sever optimization, entire map database engine rewritten from scratch, bigserver, etc.---each one of those consumed a week)

Minecraft currently only has 719 blocks and non-mobile items, and something like 50 mobs, for a total of 770 or so.  I.e, 2x more items were added to this game, in one year, by me, working alone, than are present in the entire game of Minecraft, which is now maintained by one of the world's largest companies....

But that's just what was added.  OHOL launched in February 2018 with 845 objects.  So the total is 2353, which is more than 3x what is in the entirety of Minecraft.  But it launched with more objects than Minecraft.

And I'm not done yet.

And yes, my goal is still 10,000 objects.  Not sure if I'll actually get there, but that's my goal.  I'm close to 1/4 of the way there.

All that said, I challenge you to point to any game that has been updated as frequently or as regularly or as substantially as this game has been.

#3 2019-02-22 01:22:48

Turnipseed

Also keep in mind this is a one man show. The quality of the game as it sits is impressive for one man. And jason is still busting his butt daily for it.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2019-02-22 01:49:07

Jason's_Mind

Thank you for listening to me, i mean to yourself.

I read you are ill. i hope you recover fast and come back stronger than before.

Dont ever compare yourself with minecraft or name minecraft again please. wink

I cant compare you with anyone because your work schedule is unique and i dont really know how many objects are in a League of Legends update for example, if you count a champion as an object then you win for sure, or in a Fallout 76 update. Looking at the data that you wrote, not bad for a 2D game. 8)

Now ill drop the nuclear bomb, i know you dont want a read this but i personally dont give a what you dont want to read (im helping you trust me).

I think you promised more than you can do. Game is growing and maybe the amount of work is too much for only one person, if you dont work on weekends and if you only work six hours a day (i read your work schedule and i really dont like it, but its no my f problem to be fair).

There are three things:

1. Add new content
2. Fix bugs
3. Other things ( servers, overhauls, tests, etc.)

1. A customer expect new content every week (anything). Is your job as game designer, creating new useful content that fits in the game, thats the hardest part, everyone can use a mouse and a keyboard but not everyone can design (look at your own designs are simply fantastic).

2. Fixing bugs is not a f customer problem. If you dont have time to fix because you are creating new content that means you have to work more hours along the week or on weekends, or you can hire another person to help you its not a sadistic idea, just saying (i dont want you to work more). If you dont have money then change the trailer and put ''i will add new objects every time i want, maybe a day, maybe a month, maybe a year'' (the trick here is no commitment).

3. Same as number 2, is not a f customer problem.

A customer expect to play under the same circumstances as other players (we all play with the awbz mod or nobody plays with it). I think is the only famous mod at the moment, you have time to do something about it, if the games grows more mods will appear. Yeah is an open source game but im sure you are smart enough to solve this problem.

In summary, in dont want to hear again ''i am only one person i cant do all''

Im a bit pissed because i cant post my last thread in Reddit, but i understood one thing, you only see what they want you to see, mostly a lie (and im not talking about buying upvotes and that s, that is another issue), but at the end of the day who f cares.

Now a brief idea of what people wants:

Every four weeks add new tech

-Week 1:

Storage, clothes, etc.

-Week 2:

More walls and floors, make new things like bambo or something, more flora, be creative for all biomes.

-Week 3:

Make useles food useful and add more variety, people suggested soups and teas(i dont f care, any food will be well received).

-Week 4:

New tech. Supposedly we are in 1903 with the first airplane, i think you already fucked up the timeline, im not a historian but good luck with it. wink

I wrote the last part in about five min so dont expect me to solve anything with this post.

#5 2019-02-22 02:18:45

The_Anabaptist

You strike me as somebody who feels they know game design better than the actual designer with these posts.  Keep it 1 new idea per post maybe?   Your ideas can then be debated by the community and then Jason can do with them what he wishes in his own time frame.

Or, you know, just go design your own game and do all these wonderful things for your own loyal players?

The_Anabaptist

#6 2019-02-22 03:29:30

Bob 101

The_Anabaptist wrote:

You strike me as somebody who feels they know game design better than the actual designer with these posts.  Keep it 1 new idea per post maybe?   Your ideas can then be debated by the community and then Jason can do with them what he wishes in his own time frame.

Or, you know, just go design your own game and do all these wonderful things for your own loyal players?

The_Anabaptist

I'd love him to try make a game. Then I'd spam his forums, bashing him until he responds. Then tell him what he should be doing.

#7 2019-02-22 03:58:54

Spoonwood

Jason's_Mind wrote:

-Week 3:

Make useles food useful and add more variety, people suggested soups and teas(i dont f care, any food will be well received).

There are no useless foods in the game.  There exist people who say things like that, but they don't know about or don't care about the yum bonus.  Every food in this game can contribute to a player's yum bonus.  Cooked fish, I think, makes for a good example.  I heard a streamer say that it's not worth the effort.  He had a point.  It probably isn't a food that should get prioritized.  When I saw the streamer go fishing there existed a bunch of unsuccessful attempts, so the pay off for going fishing seemed rather low.  Given his fishing as typical, the return value of cooked fish seemed extremely low.  However, cooked fish doesn't require soil or water, and still contributes to one's yum bonus.  So, if one doesn't have other foods around that one hasn't eaten in one's yum chain or foods that one doesn't want to eat right now, or a severe shortage of soil and water, cooked fish can make for the better choice.  So even though cooked fish isn't as useful as say carved turkey on a plate, cooked fish still has good uses within the scope of the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-02-22 04:39:30

Peremptive

JM I also find your posts quite funny, but I think "impersonating" regardless of how satirical/over the top the post is, warranted the threads being closed. With your preface now it is more acceptable. If you had put something like /s at the end of the post or in your signature, the threads probably wouldn't have been closed.

The videos do sound like they promise too much but eh, it even says paid alpha coming soon. So yeah ok there is some hype, but also you know you can't really expect too much. Trailers are going to be over the top, representing a future state (which might not come). I doubt you buy a game like this just from the trailer, personally I had never watched it before you posted it. You are going to look at gameplay videos or hear about it from friends. So I doubt the average player's expectations are not met by the current tech level of the game, it takes a long time to master.

Some people after this update are complaining Jason isn't adding enough items, or spending enough time on the game in general. To me that sounds like bs. You can't take a number of items you want added and complain it wasn't reached. That would just make him have to add useless / not well thought out items just to reach that number. When you make a promise the exact words are not the point, it is the intent. The developer promised to keep working on and improving the game, and he is. You can't expect new tech to be added in the same week that big changes are being made to game mechanics, or how the server works. I prefer the bigserver update to any set of items.

If there is a complaint to be made on the style of the game's development is that it feels very alpha while it isn't advertised as such. First of all, massive changes are not thoroughly tested first. Not really for smaller updates, but massive gameplay changes like last Friday could have some small tryout before they get rolled out to everyone. Set server 1 as the trial server and let people who want to be guinea pigs hop on, lots of older players who have already tried most things would likely jump on it. This would also help you catch super deadly errors that enrage many players and make the game unreasonable. I mean, the past update changed fires, removed temp averaging, changed hot biome temps. The last part was never tested, I suspect because going in the hot biomes was not considered as desired behaviour. Guess what though, people will go everyone on the map because they don't think the same as you, and if you change how part of it behaves, it is unreasonable that you don't actually check if what you expect to happen, happens. Making the formerly most hospitable part of the map the deadliest, while maintaining that it isn't, and stating that players "just got spoiled" by the hot biomes, made people think that the buggy behaviour was actually intentional. All of this could have been avoided with a bit of testing.
Secondly, changes are too drastic. Charts don't necessarily capture it, because there is a lot of noise, or you only see the death reason but not what caused it. So for example before the update about 90% of Eve villages had no fertile girls within an hour due to deaths and starvation. Even in the ones who made it, a good chuck starved anyways. So if now that rate is hypothetically 99%, you really won't see that much of a rise in starvation deaths, especially if eve villages are not the majority of the population. That change though means that you are 10 times more screwed than before, and that would just be cruel. Before large towns could function but were often hit by griefers who took out part of composting causing a famine. Or maybe the town was feeding 60 people and breaking tools faster than new iron is found. That kind of famine is completely different to a city having a famine without someone having griefed it.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-22 04:44:58)

#9 2019-02-22 05:31:18

las30

Working 6 hours a day is as much of a pipe dream as adding 100 objects a week. I can tell you first hand that Jason is constantly working and works more than anyone I've ever seen. But, yeah, when people believe he is only working 6 hours a day.......that makes me laugh!

#10 2019-02-22 06:04:54

Jk Howling

Jason's_Mind wrote:

-Week 4:

New tech. Supposedly we are in 1903 with the first airplane, i think you already fucked up the timeline, im not a historian but good luck with it. wink

Just wanted to point out rl quick that this game doesn't take place in the past, but in a post-apocalyptic future where humanity has to start from scratch all over again. No timelines are fucked up, no historian needed. We might be in 1903 technology-wise, but historically we are far, faaaar into the future.

-Has ascended to better games-

#11 2019-02-22 08:06:38

Chard

People’s expectation of value in this market are seriously messed up. I’m no exception I’m sure.

Anyway, fixing bugs and infrastructure are certainly customer problems. Strictly speaking we never paid for the content, that was free anyway. But there’s a more complex value equation around it all is my point. So don’t reduce it to Jason making time to do everything. He needs to do what’s important when it’s important.

Incidentally he also advertised the game as being 100% handmade by him. So can he back out of that promise by hiring help?

#12 2019-02-22 19:29:33

Jason's_Mind

This is my last comment/post dont reply.

To be honest i was bored, now i found a new game so im out.

Mr Jason Rohrer, i roasted you enough, i was never expecting you to answer me that tells a lot about you, you are a good person. Next step should be translate the game to chinese. I wish you the best my man.

Stylingirl, grow up! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYp5haI6FhI)

Normal player takes care of themselves, Good players takes care of a city, Best players takes care of the server.

Shout out to Malone!
Lata bitches.

#13 2019-02-22 19:55:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Then Jason's_Mind said nothing. Just gave me a glance...
just gave me a very sad, sad backward glance...
as he lifted himself by the seat of his pants.
And I'll never forget the grim look on his face
when he heisted himself and took leave of this place,
through a quick Steam refund, without leaving a trace.

#14 2019-02-22 20:54:45

Falsewall

Spoonwood wrote:
Jason's_Mind wrote:

-Week 3:

When I saw the streamer go fishing there existed a bunch of unsuccessful attempts, so the pay off for going fishing seemed rather low.

Fished 20 years with 12 worms.  Boots.. boots till I died.

Also Rest in pieces R child.   Never could finish that letter.

Last edited by Falsewall (2019-02-22 20:58:44)

#15 2019-02-22 23:39:13

susuwataris

Seriously these children need to stop acting like they know everything lmao

Board footer