One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-23 03:18:41

Dchella

Beaten To Death But...

After Spawning into a society, my whole family (extended and close) was working as a full-blown team, while role playing. It was one of the better experiences of this game by far. I was reared and brought up as a farmer, so as a child I learned the ways of the watergetter. All was good, and eventually I reached the age to have children myself. During my feeding session to my children, a stranger ran up and killed my brother. I instantly scrambled to the bow and arrow cart, and I realized that they were gone; the person hid them.

I did the next best thing I could, and I ran.

I do not know where she came from, but rest assured, she did. My heart was racing, and as I ran away I saw the ruins of my already-dead village. First the corpse and clothing of my mother, then aunt, then cousins, etc, it was horrible. I ran back and warned who I could; even getting to the point of picking up my toddler cousin and running away. Like the idiot he was, he chose to stay. I turned back around after awhile to find his dead body by my children, who were still alive (barely). I tried to pick one up before I was murdered with a bow and arrow from the side of my screen. One flourishing society smothered yet again? Why? Why can an armed person kill one person after another without having a debuff, vulnerability, etc?

Villages die too quickly on their own to begin with. Why do griefers add to the problem, and why is there no fix in sight?
Any ideas on how to curb griefing? It's really getting old..

Last edited by Dchella (2018-03-23 03:19:46)

#2 2018-03-23 04:00:37

EmmyGamba

Re: Beaten To Death But...

Dchella wrote:

Why? Why can an armed person kill one person after another without having a debuff, vulnerability, etc?

Because Jason believes that massacres like this are realistic part of the experience, so it doesn't need to be balanced. The problem is that there are no consequences besides dead (Which means almost nothing in a game were you can just respawn within seconds and continue your griefing in the next village)

In reality stuff like that happens too of course. But the difference is that consequences are permanent, so even people that lack the empathy usually don't go on random rampages. It takes alot for a person to actually get to the point where they don't care about consequences anymore and often mental illnesses are responsible for that. People just dont make that decision because they're bored or something.

Ingame there's nothing that holds someone from doing whatever the fuck they want.

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-23 04:01:56)

#3 2018-03-23 04:02:28

Antarys

They are some sick people on this planet... go all the way to hide your weapons so he does not have any resistance. Sure makes me wonder what kind of person they are in real life.

#4 2018-03-23 04:10:28

Dchella

Antarys wrote:

They are some sick people on this planet... go all the way to hide your weapons so he does not have any resistance. Sure makes me wonder what kind of person they are in real life.

Even hiding weapons will not really help saying that bows are simple to make.

#5 2018-03-23 04:15:53

Antarys

Dchella wrote:
Antarys wrote:

Even hiding weapons will not really help saying that bows are simple to make.

I mean, that he did not just take a bow and start shooting, he went all the way to hide all the bows and arrows he could find? Or I got it wrong.

#6 2018-03-23 04:15:56

Thorware

Defending your village against griefers is just as important as defending against bears. Make sure several people have knives in their backpacks, or there are loaded bows maintained in two or three locations if you are low tech. This way you should be defensible, since as soon as he kills one, another can kill him while he is debuffed. Of course, this might descend into chaos with constant retaliations where nobody is sure who the real griefer is, but it's better than everyone getting slaughtered defenselessly.

In any case, getting killed by a griefer sucks but meh, not really. Others will come along and pick up your village right where you left it off, and meanwhile you can hop right into another life. Your life is short and limited anyway, whether it's ended in an hour by old age, ten minutes by a bear, twenty minutes by famine, or thirty minutes by a griefer. Just think of it as another danger in this short and uncertain life.

Board footer