One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-20 21:24:44

Bob 101

Is the game really too brutal for new/casual players?

I'm on the fence about it.

Towns certainly seem alot less stable now, Keeping up with demands of the growing population isn't easy.

But I have seen several successful towns make 40-50 generations. In which most people are clothed even with a high pop.

#2 2019-02-20 22:41:42

voy178

Re: Is the game really too brutal for new/casual players?

We don't have time to teach people and people don't have time to try new things. You'll be able to survive, but what kind of life is it really?

I like the new update, but I do believe Jason ought to lower the food consumption by a few margines so that we can have time to write and interact.

#3 2019-02-20 23:53:14

fragilityh14

I've taught people tons of stuff since the update, I've had some good games with interested noobs in the family. My playstyle hasn't really changed at all besides putting clothes on.

And there seems to be clothes all over the place in ever mature town

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-02-21 01:56:36

wondaland

First, newbies need to let us know they are new, I'm more than happy to teach but can't when I don't know. Sometimes you can tell by seeing player repeatedly miss click or running in circles but this is less effective.

Second, people need to communicate more in general. I'm not what most would consider a pro but can do a lot of things with confidence. When I do ask for help locating items or resources or even how to make something I'm unsure of, most players are silent. I understand we cant stand around all day chatting but if I ask say, 'where is clay' a simple 'IDK' or 'south' etc would help a lot.

As a last little side note, just now I played in a medium town (had decent farms, smith, bakery, sheep and half built structures) I was bouncing around doing jobs that needed doing and ended up baking because out bakers were gone (for whatever reason) and we were getting low on food. As I was solo baking an elder and two adult females were standing there chatting/arguing roleplay style (over stealing children hmm). I left them for a minute or two but, eventually asked if they could help/go work. the two adult females pottered off (good yay) but the elder (not super old) started arguing with me over being a vet and making all the plates. I just asked her to chill out said I was only asking and continued on.

My point it this was really counter productive, vets/pros should be the optimal teachers but egotistical players like this who get defencive are influencing new players to do the same. idk I may have just let it get to me a little too much.

Moral of the story, be nice and teach.

#5 2019-02-21 02:04:45

futurebird

With all the youTube videos, it's not so bad. I don't know if I would have ever made it if I did it the "pure" way and just learned in game....

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-02-21 03:12:28

Peremptive

wondaland wrote:

... When I do ask for help locating items or resources or even how to make something I'm unsure of, most players are silent. I understand we cant stand around all day chatting but if I ask say, 'where is clay' a simple 'IDK' or 'south' etc would help a lot...Moral of the story, be nice and teach.

Kids only speak with a couple of letters at a time. So talking to them needs to happen one on one, so you can read their messages. Since kids will starve a mom now if left outside, moms just drop them in nurseries where all kids look the same and their words get mangled. So kids can't say if they are noobs now. Before I would always ask if my kids were new. Now I don't have time time. What if they tell me they are, so what. To teach anything you have to actually be where the teaching happens. This is usually out in the cold, so kids can't make it there. You can't teach them even if they somehow manage to communicate what they want to learn, and you want to teach. Plus the only person talking to babies is the milkmaid, who is not their mom and often doesn't really care that much, plus she can't leave the nursery to show the kid stuff anyways.

futurebird watching videos can teach you random stuff, but usually I will watch something because I want to learn something specific, or, more often, read the wiki. However when you are starting out you don't know enough to seek out learning from vids, you don't know what you don't know. You need someone to show you how to tend berries and farm and bake and have incomplete knowledge that you want to expand.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-21 03:13:33)

#7 2019-02-21 20:15:37

wondaland

Peremptive wrote:
wondaland wrote:

... When I do ask for help locating items or resources or even how to make something I'm unsure of, most players are silent. I understand we cant stand around all day chatting but if I ask say, 'where is clay' a simple 'IDK' or 'south' etc would help a lot...Moral of the story, be nice and teach.

Kids only speak with a couple of letters at a time. So talking to them needs to happen one on one, so you can read their messages. Since kids will starve a mom now if left outside, moms just drop them in nurseries where all kids look the same and their words get mangled. So kids can't say if they are noobs now. Before I would always ask if my kids were new. Now I don't have time time. What if they tell me they are, so what. To teach anything you have to actually be where the teaching happens. This is usually out in the cold, so kids can't make it there. You can't teach them even if they somehow manage to communicate what they want to learn, and you want to teach. Plus the only person talking to babies is the milkmaid, who is not their mom and often doesn't really care that much, plus she can't leave the nursery to show the kid stuff anyways.

hmm that wasn't exactly my point. I end up being the nurse quite often and will ask a baby if they are new on their first feed. That way I am holding them and can clearly see their answer. If they are I say where the farms are and ask them to start there and observe. It may take more time to learn but if you simply watch another player work you can usually figure it out, this is how I learnt most things I know now. This is a bit harder when it comes to more complicated things but that is probably the point where if making a newcomen pump for instance, your town should be somewhat comfortable giving players freedom to teach a bit more. The nurse really should care about all babies...if she doesn't its not the job for her. This is why I will often ask to take over because I want to help all babies, especially newbies, start off on the right foot.

Also clothes are so important now. If I am out working and see a discarded hat or am just getting older I will go put the items on a baby. More people should start doing this (many do which is great) give the babes a better chance at survival and lower their food tax on the town its a win-win.

But the line you quoted was in reference to my adult self asking other adults simple questions and receiving silence. You will not starve typing a four letter word, it's just lazy not to help and a detriment to the town because I end up wasting time and food looking for what I'm asking about.

Last edited by wondaland (2019-02-21 20:21:18)

#8 2019-02-22 02:26:28

The_Anabaptist

It may be too brutal for new players in its current incarnation...

...but I still run across enough players who still willfully do nothing of value on purpose that I wish the game would find more ways to kill them even more efficiently!

The_Anabaptist

#9 2019-02-22 02:36:42

dangergirl713

Game is really boring if you are a solo player. I just played for three hours and it consisted of eve runs where babies were instant suicides because you were just starting or died after toddler/teens or spawning into mega towns which is boring. This game isn't fun anymore unless you are playing with a friend.

#10 2019-02-22 03:30:10

Peremptive

there will always be useless people chilling in towns. I've only stabbed a useless person once and it was mostly because of how much they were eating. It is the only time I remember getting cursed, people just couldn't get that eating 3 pies in the same time that I ate 3 berries is insane and that person was just silently griefing.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-22 03:45:31)

#11 2019-02-22 03:58:45

wondaland

The_Anabaptist wrote:

It may be too brutal for new players in its current incarnation...

...but I still run across enough players who still willfully do nothing of value on purpose that I wish the game would find more ways to kill them even more efficiently!

The_Anabaptist

I definitely agree with you. Had a game where a boy said he couldn't help the town because he was texting irl. He just stood in the nursery and ate the nurses stew. I mean come on that's absolutely intentionally being a menace, what is the fun in standing and eating, if you're not trying to piss people off?

I told him I'd 'deal' with him if he didn't stop so he tried pulling a knife on me. This lead to me running away and crafting a bow. After approaching him with it I did manage to talk him down and hopefully proved that many players won't tolerate his b.s. by the time I died of old age he was farming/role playing as my daughter's husband hmm so mission accomplished.

Board footer