One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 21:31:54

Sboy24

One EVE - Too many babies are spawning

I find that way too many babies are spawning when I'm a lone Eve just starting up a new camp.

Example:
I spawned as an Eve then quickly gathered a basket and searched for an area with a few berry bushes.
Shortly after a baby spawned. about a yr or 2 into raising the baby another baby spawned.
At this point I'm like fine, I'll raise both of these until they can help out with the camp.
Just as one of the children sprouted hair and was able to help out a bit, another baby spawned.

Now 2 things I completely understand.
There is a cooldown on when babies spawn and I can simply let the child die. I got it.

1. The cooldown should trigger after 2 children in my opinion.
2. This completely takes away from the fun of building my camp up.
3. My time is spent raising these kids who I have no problem educating. However after teaching 2 kids, it gets repetitive and annoying to have to do this yet again. Especially with no break in between where I can do other things.

#2 2018-03-10 02:26:29

shoukanjuu

Re: One EVE - Too many babies are spawning

I feel like there should be some other factor affecting the birth rate. Like, not just keeping the hunger bar filled, but…temperature? If I'm born to a naked mother standing in the wilderness, I know that we're not going to survive.

#3 2018-03-10 19:46:55

Aiven

What about requiring, you know, a dude?

#4 2018-03-12 04:02:49

coderone

Yeah, i think as a woman you can choose when create a child. Maybe a toggle button to turn on/off baby births.

1. This becomes a problem when one woman(usually a new player) in the town does not think its fair to let babies die. While everyone else is saying no more children we are already short on food. Every child that pops from every woman she raises, while eating all the food in town. If she does not, her children wipe all remains of food in area. I feel like there are never any weapons laying around when this happens big_smile

2. Its pretty annoying to constantly clean graves of dead babies that dont get the idea of population control even after you tell them, then stand around the village waiting to die.

#5 2018-03-13 11:49:05

Inoox

A toggle would be nice.

Clueless eve players are half the reason villages fail

#6 2018-03-14 15:51:03

Wyr3d

This would probably be better suited for a "Suggestions" thread rather than  "known bugs" but there doesn't appear to be a suggestion thread active. That said, I agree with the OP regarding new tribesman spawns, and limitations. I have yet to buy the game (I like to research first), but from play-through I've seen on YouTube a lot of civilizations die out simply due to early overcrowding/lack of food.

The introduction of a cap of two spawns per Eve would allow the player to care for those initial two infants, while still building the settlement. The population will continue to grow when children reach maturity, and can spawn their own infants, and so on. The game then becomes a better learning experience, as players can explore and understand the world without having to worry over a constant stream of infant spawns.

That's my opinion, anyway.

#7 2018-03-22 18:58:10

bgb

maybe 3 kids per life and some sort of 5-10 minute immunity timer from once you spawn in if you're an eve

#8 2018-03-22 19:19:54

Xuhybrid

If you do that, then your useless children who die would basically doom your civilisation. It's your choice whether to care for those children. That is all!

#9 2018-03-28 22:44:10

Sakkiyn

The eve could spawn a few years younger, not of baby making age to help offset that she just spawned in the wilderness and needs to find foo and a home.

#10 2018-03-29 15:04:37

FlRugbyChick

Sakkiyn wrote:

The eve could spawn a few years younger, not of baby making age to help offset that she just spawned in the wilderness and needs to find foo and a home.

This sounds good to me.

#11 2018-04-05 00:06:18

Lily

It does seem like it needs to be tweaked a bit. I have seriously had like 6 or 7 babies on one character before.

#12 2018-04-07 19:25:18

fragilityh14

I often survive naked in the wilderness with a baby. It's part of the fun.

Though spawn one min before babies could be good.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2018-04-07 19:27:13)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#13 2018-04-07 20:15:06

Avalikia

I definitely like the idea of Eve having a minute or so before she has to worry about babies - she should at least be able to get to a decent location in that time, instead of being right in the middle of the badlands with no food around.

That said, I wanted to throw out some real-world statistics because I happen to know them:  Before the advent of modern medicine, an adult woman would have on average 7 babies before she died, of which an average of 2 would survive to have their own babies.  So Eves popping them out all the time, and most of them dying, is totally realistic.

#14 2018-04-08 08:08:26

Lily

I have had a baby spawn while still in the loading screen. It is crazy. I think a year or two younger for an even makes a lot of sense. That way you can at least do something before your stuck caring for a baby.

#15 2018-04-15 21:33:22

Auner

Avalikia wrote:

That said, I wanted to throw out some real-world statistics because I happen to know them:  Before the advent of modern medicine, an adult woman would have on average 7 babies before she died, of which an average of 2 would survive to have their own babies.  So Eves popping them out all the time, and most of them dying, is totally realistic.

OMG thank you!

Before we had such an *amazing* infant mortality rate- women would give birth to over-shadow the amount of babies who wouldnt make it to adulthood

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

Board footer