One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 12:50:51

Peremptive

Is this a bug, or is this working as intended?

I just did a test. I was wearing sealskin coat, straw hat and reed skirt, giving 60% insulation or so. I walked from grassland to jungle, back to grassland, my temp went to max heat, max cold. I lost 4-5 tiles at an instance (insta kill if you are old enough).

Wearing 60% insulation, are you supposed to get shocked to death when walking into jungle? Or is this not working as intended?

edit: I tested it more carefully. Moving to jungle from grass, the jungle is as warm as grassland is cold. Over a few seconds, jungle heats you up to max. If you then go to grassland to escape the heat, despite wearing clothes, you go to zero temp. So if you are running out of jungle, step on grass then jungle, you go max -> zero -> max, lose 4-5 pips in a second, practically insta-die if old enough. So clothes do nothing other than delay for some seconds getting to max temp, but then delay you leaving max cold.

Essentially, all hot tiles are death. Going into any hot tiles for any length of time means you will get to much colder when you go jungle -> grassland then if you go grassland -> snow, guaranteeing death for anyone that crosses warm-cold-warm tiles at the right age, which btw gets random generated that way all over the place. So the map is full of temp death traps, and there is no way to escape the heat.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 15:59:42)

#2 2019-02-17 14:46:55

CrazyEddie

Re: Is this a bug, or is this working as intended?

I don't believe this is Jason's intent, and I strongly suspect there are bugs in his code. He's not given us much explanation of how it's supposed to work, but what he has explained so far implies that when you walk from grassland to jungle, you should go to the jungle target temperature - instantly if naked, instantly if clothed and at the grassland target temperature, more slowly if clothed and warmer than the grassland target temperature. However, the grassland target temperature is not supposed to be max cold, and the jungle target temperature is not supposed to be max heat.

The new heat mechanics are difficult to reason about and have probably led to an incorrect implementation.

If you can consistently reproduce this case, and can describe it clearly, please open an issue on Github so that it gets his attention. That will help him find and fix these sorts of errors.

#3 2019-02-17 14:58:53

Tarr
Banned

He changed it because you could game the system by dancing from hot to cold. With even just a few bits of clothing you had some pretty sizable net gains by just pathing along a desert/jungle while out doing stuff like hunting rabbits or foraging. Now you should just avoid going near jungles/deserts and walk through the arctic if a warm biome is the other option.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-02-17 15:08:28

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

He changed it because you could game the system by dancing from hot to cold. With even just a few bits of clothing you had some pretty sizable net gains by just pathing along a desert/jungle while out doing stuff like hunting rabbits or foraging. Now you should just avoid going near jungles/deserts and walk through the arctic if a warm biome is the other option.

The behavior that Peremptive reported conflicts with the behavior that Jason described in the forum news post, and he made that news post after changing the behavior in response to the exploit you demonstrated. Also, fixing that exploit doesn't require the behavior Peremptive reported.

If things are working as Peremptive described (I can't test it myself at the moment) then it's probably not what Jason intended.

#5 2019-02-17 16:16:22

Peremptive

eddie now that I looked at it more carefully this is a result of the "fix". Since going cold-warm or warm-cold shouldn't make you better off, ALL terrains are equivalent to snow if leaving from max heat. jungle is immediately the same as desert if moving in from snow temp. So clothes are quite useless if you have already reached a bad temp because you were somewhere other than grass/savanna for a few secs. If you don't wear clothes jungle-grass, you don't get zero temp because you get tile temp...

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 18:44:25)

#6 2019-02-17 16:49:15

CrazyEddie

Thanks for the clarification, Peremptive. I agree it's not a bug. I think it's an oversight, an unintended consequence of what he intended to do.

I think the problem is that clothing adds heat, which will push you to max temp even in the jungle (whereas naked in the jungle will just leave you at "hot" rather than max hot). I added a comment to that effect in the news post thread.

#7 2019-02-17 17:16:12

Anshin

QUESTION: Does taking a road through several biomes end up killing you due to shock?

#8 2019-02-17 18:03:00

Spoonwood

Anshin wrote:

QUESTION: Does taking a road through several biomes end up killing you due to shock?

There exists a big road on server12.  If you hop on there and can find it, see what happens I guess.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-02-17 18:47:36

Peremptive

Anshin wrote:

If you are going to go through hot-cold quickly, you need a lot of clothes and a good starting temp. Otherwise you are dead. So if either wear no clothes, or you wear a lot of clothes and you are already at max warm or cold, you will die quite fast.
If you already have max temp either cold or warm, you are better off taking off your clothes going in to a less extreme terrain, since you will immediately go to biome temp. If you keep your clothes on, you will stay at max flipped temp for quite a bit longer.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 18:48:02)

Board footer