One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-15 21:59:02

BlueDiamondAvatar

Teaching session on low pop servers

I wonder if we could set up a regular schedule of teaching sessions on one of the low population servers.  At a semi-regular time every week.

One of the big problems we all run into is that it is hard to teach the new casual players when the town is in the middle of a food shortage.

Would anyone else be interested in supporting this?

I'd just like to still be playing this game a year or two from now... and that's only going to happen if we start keeping more of the casual player base.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#2 2019-02-15 23:18:24

DestinyCall

Re: Teaching session on low pop servers

You might have better luck getting a teaching village going on a private server where you can have more control over potential griefers.  However, reaching a private server can be a barrier for new players.  The ones that need the most help probably aren't even visiting these forums to learn about the times or places where they could be taught.

Personally, I like to dedicate time to teaching in-game whenever I find a good student or feel in a teaching mood.  It isn't hard to find willing students, especially if you are female and take time to get to know your kids.  As a male, you can also find apprentices, by asking children if they are interested in learning a trade or asking them to carry on your works.  I usually try to find someone pretty young if I'm working in the village, like a child who is just old enough to leave their mother.   They usually don't have any specific goals yet.   Shepherd, baker, stew making, burrito making, sapling or milkweed farming, making buckeys or carts or berry bush borders.   For jobs that require more travel, I look for older apprentices ... like a teenage boy who is still eating berries and not doing anything useful yet.  He could be hunting for rabbits or gathering iron or hauling dirt or taming horses.

#3 2019-02-16 01:58:02

Peremptive

with people establishing eve villages for themselves, it is certainly possible to get other people to join in and visit your place as babies. However since if you die you lose your place it is quite risky and probably better if they are someone you know already.

#4 2019-02-17 12:17:55

Spoonwood

Would be nice to teach mosquito trapping and entombing.  Even though it required patience and slow movements, I found it enjoyable.  But why I would bother teaching that now since it's easier to make fire than to import snow... and you want a clothing supply close to your base?  I know your post is a few days old, and my comment doesn't take that into account.  But, I know you had something of a thing for a mosquito trapping... at least you did before.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-02-17 16:06:16

BlueDiamondAvatar

Yeah, I still like herding mosquitos, it's just not as useful as it used to be - or as I was hoping it might become.

My house in One City server is on the upper left corner of an ENORMOUS savanna that is intermixed with jungle.  It's a prime location that was only empty because of the regular presence of mosquitoes.

I'm planning a fenced pen for my mosquito pets - where I can do mosquito herding demos and training.

This teaching session idea is morphing into creating videos of training sessions with the friends and family I'm luring into the world of OHOL.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

Board footer