One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 06:55:20

JoshuaN

Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh my! Nubs, griefers, & dead weight oh no!

Rant begin -- From my experience playing the new update i think the game still needs some key changes before moving forward. I just lived a life in a village where we had sheep, wheat, carrots, berries like we would before however we did not thrive like we once did. No, barely just scrapping by would be a generous statement to what i've experienced just today.

The issue with my not so fortunate village was everyone starves every few generations because of overpopulation, lack of gatherers for essential materials needed for tools, and an insatiable hunger. We mostly had just people running around with their heads cut off like chickens. It was utter chaos. We had 6 x 20 rows of berries which were mostly drying  and void of all fruit. The sheep pen was built too far away from the actual farm. Nobody was tending carrots but me. The soil was being sucked up by berries. There were no pies cooking. We were out of water and kerosene and nobody was making charcoal. There was no axe nor hatchet nor milkweed to make one. (The other village in my previous life had niether carrots nor sheep because of greifers, that's all it took to kill us all... carrots and sheep.)

I'm sick of villages being so fragile. There's no room to grow, we can barely maintain. Part of the issue is people cannot see past their nose due to not having a reasonable view distance. Nobody knows what needs to be done other than eat food to stay alive. The doors that are suppose to keep heat in the building are not being closed EVER due to everyone and their mother walking through them. Doors are not viable.

The current temperature keeps everyone MUCH hungrier than they use to be even with clothing because NOBODY except the babies and mothers next to the fire are kept at a reasonable temperature. We're burning through ALL of our materials at an alarming rate to be honest. Having to eat more food means our iron is used up a lot quicker using tools to keep people fed. Its a bit ridiculous.

The game has become a lot more frantic, chaotic, and for the most part not enjoyable. Its not a game anymore, it's a hardcore survival simulation.

I feel like i'm fighting against the village as a whole in a 1 v 20 hunger games. The hungry shall perish, the wise will run away from town to eat wild food or horde pies to survive the famine and rebuild what the carrot devouring sheep exterminating berry mongers had ruined. Why can't we warm it up a little bit or reduce the rate of starvation? I literally have no time to teach 20 people how to run a farm when they're working so hard to destroy it through devouring all our berries and carrots, and murdering the last sheep.

It is my most sincere opinion that something needs to be changed. I'm really praying for some buffs right about now -- Rant End

What are your thoughts on your lives in the new update? Do you think the game should be kept the way it is?

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#2 2019-02-17 07:24:23

Nepumuk

Re: Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh my! Nubs, griefers, & dead weight oh no!

My thought is people should stop making all these complaining forum posts and let players adapt for at least a few days before calling for more changes.

I am Eve Speed.

#3 2019-02-17 07:28:19

artio

I feel really bad for all the new people pouring in. They are eager to learn, and there are many eager to teach, but this update means it's impossible. There's no moment of calm, only impending overpopulation and starvation.

It definitely got more hardcore than anyone expected.

#4 2019-02-17 08:09:48

DestinyCall

artio wrote:

I feel really bad for all the new people pouring in. They are eager to learn, and there are many eager to teach, but this update means it's impossible. There's no moment of calm, only impending overpopulation and starvation.

It definitely got more hardcore than anyone expected.

If you find yourself in the role of baby tender, please ... please ... please ... for the love of God, teach people some basics while they are young and unable to escape your wisdom.   So many people eat carrots when we have stew or run around naked when we have sheepskins and straw hats.  So many people harvest the wheat, but fail to use the straw or make stew but let the squash seeds despawn instead of saving them.   So many people eat the last carrot or pull carrots out of the seed row.   These are simple things that people do out of ignorance, but they can kill a village over time. 

Fewer and fewer squashes for stew ... less and less carrots for sheep ... no new compost piles being made for dirt ... the berries run dry ... the pies run out ... the stew pots are all empty and then the village is dead.

#5 2019-02-17 08:26:38

Jojigirl

Overpopulation is a big problem.. You need to have population control, however, its hard to do because many die young and you risk having no girls. I just got finished with a full life in a decent established village, there was no standing around and talking, everyone old enough to keep enough hunger to adventure out and get things we need were non stop working.. The den mothers and babes stayed by the fire and berry farm.. So many babies depleted all the berries, and so many bushes depleted the soil. You are correct we were going through resources like crazy. Everyone pitched in to keep food, water, soil, farms, and the babes clothed.

However, I did have to make a few runs for more squash seeds because they would not replant the seed..  I think that has to do with the person making stew being fairly new.

As I was about to die, the village was falling apart. So much stuff needs to be done, and when you have many new players in a village, it's not going to get done, it just causes more work, chaos and a shortage on food and resources.

You now have to be selective on how many babies you keep and which ones.. Kind of sucks for the new players, but I'll weed them out in hopes to get players who know how to work and help keep the village going.

You can't keep every child anymore. IMO

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-02-17 08:28:30)

#6 2019-02-17 08:42:08

DestinyCall

I think that "population control" is a pipe dream.   

You can't solve the hunger problems by killing noob babies.    You kill them, they get born somewhere else ... die over there .. and get reborn in your village.   The endless cycle of noob death and rebirth means that the new players will constantly cycle back into your village as fast as you can kill them.

You need to change your thinking.  You have a nursery now.  The nursery has at least one dedicated nurse who is feeding babies as her main occupation.   START TEACHING BABIES.    The babysitter should be tending the fire, picking up babies that say F and teaching anyone within earshot how to not be a burden to the village. 

Simple pearls of wisdom like "carrots are sheep food.  Do not eat the carrots." or "Meat pies are good.  Stop eating berries.  Adults eat pies and stew" or "Straw decays quickly.  Don't waste it.  Use it!"  or "Squash seeds can go into a bowl.  Don't leave them on the ground or they just disappear."

You won't be able to teach them everything.  Complex things like compost and baking are easier to teach by showing.   But there is a lot of simple stuff that can be told to babies when they are too young to do anything but listen.  Some people will already know or zone out while you talk ... but with the high percentage of new players, you are bound to help someone.  Maybe even one of the adults that hears your speech while working.

#7 2019-02-17 09:08:46

JoshuaN

Just died 5 times in a row in big villages. One most notably, was a griefer eating one berry per square. And my mom "trusted him" nobody thought to use the bow 3 squares away. i would have shot him right then and there had i not starved at the age of 5 because he ate all the berries.

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#8 2019-02-17 10:21:18

Peremptive

DestinyCall wrote:

If you find yourself in the role of baby tender, please ... please ... please ... for the love of God, teach people some basics while they are young and unable to escape your wisdom.

teach people something before you starve now or before you starve in a second? You have no time to communicate anything. Noobs die at six or seven trying to open the nursery door to get back in.

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-17 10:21:46)

#9 2019-02-17 14:29:55

CrazyEddie

Jojigirl wrote:

there was no standing around and talking [..] Everyone pitched in to keep food, water, soil, farms, and the babes clothed.

Yes, it's true. Because the low-hunger desert towns got nerfed, the food requirements for a town have gone way up, and consequently instead of one productive player carrying ten useless people standing around and talking, you need to have a much greater percentage of the players be productive in order for the town to survive.

raw

Board footer