One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-15 03:20:28

Grim_Arbiter

A question about eve spiral on big server (acid town adventures)

This is going to be a two-parter.

First is the question, and second is story of the town that made me want to write this post.

Question:

So did the eve spiral grow in circumference? I've noticed after the first apocalypse, that when the first bell main hub-esque towns first appear, they have doubled the max distance from your outskirt towns. The max distance seemed to be like 12 to 14 thousand tiles tops right? Now they are 28 thousand away..

Looking back on thundersen's post with the birth data, it was only 15 thousand max for the whole spiral.

Are these far villages remnants of people knowing birth coordinates and trying to make the first bell?
Or did the eve spiral just grow?
28 thousand is a long way from guaranteed known civilization..

Story:

Purav Thornbery

So this was the strangest life I've ever played.. and almost made me question my own sanity at many different points in it. My first sight in this world is an ominous obelisk that for some reason looks more like an apocalypse piece than the real one we have. I hear a bell chime and see that the home marker is 28k away.. Well damn that is really far.

I then see my mom saying something about a doggy? Ok I kinda like dogos in this game even if they are kinda lame..Turns out she was in some weird role play scenario where she had to own a slave. Very confusing start but I feel like I can just ditch her. I get old and ditch her because that is just a level of weird I do not put up with..

I start diagnosing the town. I notice a bear by the altar, but hes frozen.. Ok, I've seen this glitch before.. but then all of the sudden he moves! But only one tile up and then one tile down.. Some how the shrine and a snowman jail are keeping him at bay and forcing him in a non advancing pocket. My crazy mom then finds me by the bear and shrine, and says to me "Doggys are not allowed to wear hats". I tried to lure her around the things blocking the bear but she starved before I could.

I then see a ginger lady in town do a movement I have never seen before. She was able to flip sides back and forth in the same spot without moving then move to another spot and do the same thing. She looked like a flopping fish! At this point everything in this life so far kinda hits me and i honestly had to ask myself if I was tripping or dreaming. I go up to her but she jumps on horse asking if someone can go with her to get iron. While on horse, I SWEAR on everything her body bent far left and then far right like a wriggling worm.

At this point I am flat out just shouting to everyone left in the village that I am tripping but am too young to even try to explain what I just saw. I try to pick my life up and actually figure out something to do but i feel like I do not have any idea what to even do now that my brain has just melted.. I meet a cool cat by the name of jason thornberry that I tried explaining a bit to, but gave up and ended up discussing the bells being 28k away and taking all my kid chances. I had my first child at 26 or 27, even chaining yum. I raised my first, then had an immediate second. During my second child I saw Jason get bit and turn yellow. He tried running to a cold spot, While that whole time i was trying to put down my baby, put a piece of bread in my bag, and go run and feed him. A friggin hidden bone needle on the ground in the bakery stopped that from happening and he died as soon as he reached us when he realized he needed to come back and get fed. His red sweater was his demise..

The rest of my life was just recovering from loosing my mind for those seconds and overcoming that crazy town. I think my daughter thought the shrine was an apocalypse tower, because mentioned it and then she stabbed a child that wanted to die in front of it. I helped out my only two children and the one guy left in town. I buried Jason and showed the guy left how to do it (he was very sad about jason going) and then left a note that read :RIP jason thornberry.. This truly was an acid town.

20190214165008-1.jpg

The cursed shrine with jasons note and grave in the back.

20190214102929-1.jpg

My current not so scary shrine in main town now! Go add to it!

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-02-15 03:24:00)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2019-02-15 09:21:21

hmrka

Re: A question about eve spiral on big server (acid town adventures)

I think jasons stress test where eves spawned in one spot messed up the spiral a bit. Next update today/tomorrow should restart the spawn spiral and fix it. Ofc I don't have any data on it so and im just quessing.

Is your shrine in the town east of a nameless town with two bell towers and a maple in the center of it? I think I saw it while a was a baby but I didn't spend too much time there.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#3 2019-02-15 15:21:49

Grim_Arbiter

hmrka wrote:

I think jasons stress test where eves spawned in one spot messed up the spiral a bit. Next update today/tomorrow should restart the spawn spiral and fix it. Ofc I don't have any data on it so and im just quessing.

Is your shrine in the town east of a nameless town with two bell towers and a maple in the center of it? I think I saw it while a was a baby but I didn't spend too much time there.

Ohhh ok that makes sense. I still wish I could have experienced that stress test with everyone.

Yeah thats it! I assumed that was the new main city just by the amount of bells. When i was there there weren't actually any any bells complete, but two were almost done and another 3 including mine were being set up.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-02-15 16:39:18

austin_beale
Banned

dood those thornberrys were a real thorn in my side lol....

atleast ill get some peace and quite in donkey town when i play later tonight

#5 2019-02-15 17:14:33

Grim_Arbiter

austin_beale wrote:

dood those thornberrys were a real thorn in my side lol....

atleast ill get some peace and quite in donkey town when i play later tonight

Yeah they were a odd family. 

Id personally work on speedrunning sign building if I was in your scenario. I've been meaning to learn the lettering and not need a guide, but its tough. I made a G on greep's server and then gave up.

--Grim

#6 2019-02-15 17:19:39

BlueDiamondAvatar

hrmka's right, but it's a little more complicated... the problem is the servers were never restarted last week.  So the eve spiral was never reset to a new origin.  That's why the spiral is getting bigger than it usually does. 

Jason did a couple hotfixes to the client, and set up the stress test to force everyone to the same spawn point, but he never actually rolled out a new version of the game, so he didn't do the server update. 

Between the very big diameter and the apocalypse, we are not going to have as many old towns to discover during the next eve spiral.

(Also... hi hrmka!)

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#7 2019-02-15 18:47:44

fragilityh14

my memory from when it was added (for a while it was the center of human made objects, and there was little decay, so basically you spawned in huge cities where nothing needed to be done all the time) is that it starts at 0,0 and just does always get larger. I don't think a normal server reset should restart the spiral though, cause then wouldn't ancient walls and empty clay pits been everywhere etc?

Or did it change now so anything human eyes don't see for hours resets? [well, displayed on a humans screen, obviously]

even so, you'd think that would mean a new spiral would run into all sorts of land people have been to. Though, how lose to civs ones finds spawning rabbits is always surprising.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#8 2019-02-15 19:34:59

CrazyEddie

Fragility:

The Eve spiral starts at 0,0 only on a brand new server. When an existing server is restarted, the spiral starts over, but not at 0,0. The new spiral is centered someplace that was active when the server was restarted - but exactly what determines that spot, I'm not sure. Someone said that it was the place where the longest lineage was at the time of the server restart, but I don't know how that spot would be determined exactly.

Separate from that, there is map culling. When the server restarts, anything that has not been seen (has not come into view of a player, where "view" includes map chunks that might be just outside of the player's actual view if they're using the default zoom) in the last seven days just before the restart is restored to its natural state. Items are removed, cut trees are restored, vacant ponds are refilled, etc. The time limit used to be 24 hours, but it was increased to seven days some time last year.

#9 2019-02-15 20:16:22

fragilityh14

wow, it being a 7 day cull makes it especially incredible how little people travel out of civs. If I run off as a girl I'm usually seeing newly spawning areas and no sign of human life well before i'm old enough to give birth.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

Board footer