One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-13 18:23:35

InSpace

Ohol is big in china, help jason come up with chinese things to add!

Google says china invented gunpowder, paper making (in the game), alcohol, tea, silk, compass (tier 2 home marker?), umbrellas, Iron smelting (in the game), porcelain, rockets, seed drill, row crop farming (in the game), paper money, crossbow.
Rice as food.
China themed biome.
Ofc asian characters.

Grab that chinese audience while there is interest!

#2 2019-02-13 18:52:20

Tea

Re: Ohol is big in china, help jason come up with chinese things to add!

Well about tea !

My idea was once you get snowballed too many times, you will turn blue and will have to sit next to the fire or else you will die to Hypothermia. People can give you hot TEA or turkey broth to get you back to health.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#3 2019-02-13 19:00:22

Gabby

I would love to have silk worm farming and silk clothes added to the game. And tea could be a multiple-servings food for yum.

Also alcohol could have some funny effect like messing up your speech and/or making you see double. Some games do this sort of thing.

Be nice to the mouflon

#4 2019-02-13 19:10:59

Portager

It's also getting big in Japan and Korea, just look on Youtube

Last edited by Portager (2019-02-13 19:11:10)

#5 2019-02-13 19:16:23

Anandamide

Gabby wrote:

I would love to have silk worm farming and silk clothes added to the game. And tea could be a multiple-servings food for yum.

Also alcohol could have some funny effect like messing up your speech and/or making you see double. Some games do this sort of thing.

Ah ha! Thats exactly what we need for the cooling clothes(or just tier two, moves temp towards center clothing). We could make cooling clothes out of other fibers on the loom, but I feel like it should be tech locked behind silk cultivation.

#6 2019-02-13 21:55:45

Maggie1Life

I think of dumpling.  Rice is rather hard to farm because it technically grows in water.

The crafting for dumpling can be:
raw pie crust + flint chip/knife -> dumpling wrappers
dumpling wrappers + meat -> raw dumplings (6 pcs)
raw dumplings + bowl -> bowl of raw dumplings
bowl of raw dumplings + bowl of water -> bowl of uncooked dumplings
bowl of uncooked dumplings + hot coals + 10s -> bowl of dumplings

Similarly, we can make fired dumplings:
bowl of raw dumplings + Hot Flat Rock + 10s -> fried dumplings on flat rock
Use a plate to get a plate of fried dumplings and maybe we can even pick one dumpling up from the plate!

#7 2019-02-13 22:42:39

karltown_veteran

Rice or dumplings would be nice... dough on a flat rock actually looks like a dumpling, so add a bowl of mashed vegetables / fruit / meat, cook in oven or on coals, should be able to fit more than one dumpling on a plate and cook multiple in the oven for a longer time (as you would a turkey)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#8 2019-02-13 23:44:59

Booklat1

I think ohol is based off of the american continent, specially north america. I wouldn't mind some update that evoked on historical relations between america and the eastern world though. Maybe also adding some eastern ethnicities as characters (please, not a single asian race).

#9 2019-02-14 02:51:02

karltown_veteran

Booklat1 wrote:

I think ohol is based off of the american continent, specially north america. I wouldn't mind some update that evoked on historical relations between america and the eastern world though. Maybe also adding some eastern ethnicities as characters (please, not a single asian race).

I agree... also, why are characters with really dark skin as uncommon as ginger people? That's not the way it is in real life.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#10 2019-02-14 04:01:19

Redram

Maggie1Life wrote:

I think of dumpling.  Rice is rather hard to farm because it technically grows in water

Growing rice in standing water is not required.  But rice can tolerate it while most weeds and insects cannot.  Its a weed/pest control method.  Has some other synergies as well.  But its not required.

As for asian elements, good luck.  Its virtually impossible to get jason to add anything reasonable or sensible.  If youre lucky he'll add chopsticks.  But they'll be deadly with no cooldown.

#11 2019-02-14 08:55:02

NetherCrow
Website

maybe we need yellow skin player first.

Chinese Mobile Players are the best griefer around the world. I am ashamed of them. They invent the auto-baby-killer and grave-baby-prison to avoid Others Break their Eve Chain. And the griefer use bear and bow to kill every eve player for their REVENGE. All animal and kiln are killed or destroyed because of envy and hatred.

#12 2019-02-14 11:23:31

West

Blackpowder and rockets!
Rockets could be salutes. They could give a temporarly home marker for anyone in a specific distance. (like 15 min or so)
Another type of rockets could be used for fighting. (Attack rocket) You launch it and it travels, lets say, 100 tiles North, where it explodes and destroys/kills anything in a 4 tile radius.

Crafting rockets does not Need any new resources added, its all there allready.

Blackpowder:
Bowl of Sulfur + mashed bowl of coal + Niter = Bowl of Blackpowder
Explosives / Flash powder:
Bowl of Sulfur + Alum + Niter = Bowl of Flashpowder

Salute Rocket:
Paper + Skewer = Paper Tube / Skewer
Paper Tube + Blackpowder + Skewer = Rocket engine / Skewer
Rocket engine + Skewer = Rocket on Stick
Rocket on Stick + Bowl of Blackpowder = Salute Rocket
Rocket on Stick + Bowl of Flashpowder = Attack Rocket (This rocket may Need a launch pad for the direction)

There could also be colourfull Rockets
Bowl of Blackpowder + different metals = XY Stars
Rocket on Stick + Stars = Red/Green/Gold Rocket

Last edited by West (2019-02-14 11:25:50)

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#13 2019-02-14 20:16:19

fragilityh14

Redram wrote:
Maggie1Life wrote:

I think of dumpling.  Rice is rather hard to farm because it technically grows in water

Growing rice in standing water is not required.  But rice can tolerate it while most weeds and insects cannot.  Its a weed/pest control method.  Has some other synergies as well.  But its not required.

As for asian elements, good luck.  Its virtually impossible to get jason to add anything reasonable or sensible.  If youre lucky he'll add chopsticks.  But they'll be deadly with no cooldown.

I was going to add this. They only grow rice in water in some areas. and generally they've done all sorts of landscape alterations, like terraces on hills with walls and whatnot, so it's not usually just growing in a natural swamp, it's somewhere humans are letting the water in and out of.

There's no reason you couldn't just have it grow like wheat. However, another simple option for rice would be that it can be planted in a shallow tilled row but takes two water, possibly another water added after it sprouts. With how scarce iron is, and how much time we spend composting, it would be nice to have a type of agriculture that used more water and less iron and soil. This is the basic premise of growing rice in water,  that you haul less soil and use less iron and labor keeping it free of weeds.

Also, this would be more complicated, but rice farmers often rely on fish production within the fields for pest control and fertilization and protein to eat. [this practice is less common due to chemical fertilizers and pesticides, and its having negative health results for farmers.]

A simple way to incorporate this would just be to have a fish there after you cut the rice, and the fish has to be skewered out of the pond before you can replant.

BTW, the agriculture in this game now is relatively similar to traditional Chinese agriculture anyway. It pretty much had to be to match Jason's vision for the game, since the Chinese fed a huge population without soil degradation, and the hope is that areas don't inherently have to ultimately be abandoned due to resource loss.

The Chinese (and Japanese and Koreans) traditionally gathered a huge amount of soil and organic matter from the wilds, i believe with application rates usually around a ton an acre. As well as very intensive composting.

They also had an extraordinary amount of canals, which would be cool, but would be hard to implement. Pulled a lot of soil up out of them, and they served as the main highways.

While rice would be cool, because I want to see agriculture diversified further [though I know other people are tired of food updates], i don't think there's any inherent reason to pander to Asians. There aren't any meaningful reasons the things in the game are foreign to them.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2019-02-15 00:38:24

Anandamide

If we do any food updates, Id like higher tech tier foods with say, a large variety of low pip foods for yum chaining. Maybe rice one day,but I think gunpowder or silk would be better for an "asian update". The problem is, in real life there are a lot of good ways to do a lot of the same things(like produce food), and with a game like this, its better to have more tiers of things than many essentially equal paths, until later in the development when he can go back in and add in those extra paths. This is a big part(at least I think so) of why Jason doesnt let us do things like make ropes from fleece, it makes milkweed completely obsolete, and unbalances all the technologies that are dependent on rope. Its hard to balance the resource dependencies, when there is only one path up the tree, but even worse when there are multiple independent paths that can lead to the same end product. Rice is a staple food like wheat, and would need to be able to replace it in the right circumstances. This is hard because compost would need to be completely reworked, which would change a civs iron usage so iron would need to be re-balanced and so forth. I read an analogy about the tech tree that I personally would like to see one day, Right now its a tree with branches, but instead it could be like multiple parallel vines that branch into each other at various spots, its just such a big workup, so thats why my vote is on new tech vs more food. On the other hand though, rice could maybe be woven in as part of the fuel cycle. We could use the rice hulls to make charcoal and woodgas in a pyrolosys rig, and have woodgas powered planes and cars, there is no point now while oil is infinite, but he could change that and  I see one day either Jason adding in (or someone else making a fork wink ) for aquaponics, and rice + fish aquaculture would make for a great starting path on that kind of tech tree. This still is a compelling argument though for waiting on rice since something like that would be such a big change to the game.

Last edited by Anandamide (2019-02-15 00:38:39)

Board footer