One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-03 18:23:26

Dodge

Sharing locations, multiple markers and plane destinations

Currently we can only have one marker at a time which is very limiting for travelling, we have horses, cars and now planes that can be used to explore and find new locations but without navigation,maps and markers it's most of the time a one way trip to other towns or a blindfolded flight.

If two bells ring the second one will become the new bell marker and someone doing a bell run to the first one will become lost in the wilderness with a new bell marker that can be 10k away

For endstone markers not sure if they override a bell but one will override the other and either prevent a bell or apocalypse run

Cant count the number of times i found a vein but impossible to find it back because it was at a decent distance and not in a straight line

Telling others that there is a vein north west is almost useless since there is no distance point of refference (unless you count the tiles) and there is no visual point of refference like in real life with mountains a certain shape, rivers meeting each other or anything that can be used to indicate directions.

We could make maps with paper and share different markers like veins, other villages etc

Planes could have their own marker and landing on a strip would allow to come back to that specific location

#2 2019-02-03 18:30:03

fragilityh14

Re: Sharing locations, multiple markers and plane destinations

yeah i was thinking about this. It's probably quite a lot of coding to make any sort of system where we can look at an ingame produced map in games.

one thing that is more doable is if it just showed the nearest two towns instead of one. cause of course a home marker prevents you from seeing the other places as well.

I suppose even just allowing both a home marker and the bell would help immensely, as the two directions and distances would give you some actual frame of reference.

BTW, how far can a person run in an hour, if they run the whole time? A long time ago before I realize the world is like the size of jupiter I spent a whole lifetime running north, hoping I would come back around or find something you know. But there weren't distances for anything at the time. It seems to take a fair amount of time to walk just .1, so I imagine 4.0 is an unlikely journey in a life time. Though of course being a multigenerational caravan heading to the big bell city is also cool.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#3 2019-02-03 18:39:08

CrazyEddie

fragilityh14 wrote:

BTW, how far can a person run in an hour, if they run the whole time?

You can travel roughly one hundred tiles per minute on foot, maybe a hundred-fifty if you mostly go diagonally.

So if you leave when you're five and travel on foot until you are fifty-five, you can get to a destination roughly 5K away, maybe a little farther.

Horses are twice as fast as being on foot.

#4 2019-02-03 19:11:26

Dodge

There will probably never be a graphic map with the different locations  drawn on screen but the maps could be pieces of paper that gives you a marker when you pick them up with a short description like "vein", "rabbit", "city" etc

You could make a map with your marker of a close town for example and share the marker with other villagers in town or even share the location of your village with other places

Or you could even make a treasure map in a locked chest with a nice loot for someone following it lol

#5 2019-02-04 18:03:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Home markers currently "stack" in that if you make a new marker, it only overrides your previous marker until you dig the new one up.  So then you can head back home.

This is useful for temporary outposts, or waypoints along a journey when you want to return home along the same route.

It is NOT useful for finding your way back to an iron vein.  You can set a new marker there, but the only way to find your way home is to dig it up and resume navigating to your original home marker.

You can leave your home marker at home before flying, and then navigate home on foot.  This might be useful for road-making between two nearby towns.

I'm not sure how to "fix" these things, without cluttering your screen with arrows (or some other interface for switching between multiple arrows).

I'm also not so sure that I WANT to fix it right now.  There may be better nav tech in the future (though I'm not sure how it will work).  But also, I do want to leave room for emergent navigation techniques.  Bread crumb trails, etc.  Also, oral relay of information.

The existing home-marker system already cuts quite a bit of this off (a non-beginner never gets lost), but I realize that it's necessary in a 2D game where our inborn 3D navigation sense breaks down.

So I don't want to cut any more of the emergent space off.  There is something interesting about trying to remember where a discovered iron vein is, or leading someone back out there, or breaking branches along the way, or leaving notes along the way.

#6 2019-02-04 22:10:56

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

Home markers currently "stack" in that if you make a new marker, it only overrides your previous marker until you dig the new one up.  So then you can head back home.

Would it be possible for the marker to show up without having to dig up the newest marker?

Say you have three markers, Home Mid-Point and Iron Vein.

When near the Home marker, you see the arrow for the midpoint. When you get in range of the mid-point marker, the nearest marker to mid-point would get an arrow, either Home or Iron Vein. This is most likely not probable due to when you get just out of range of one marker, that would be the nearest and the arrow would move back. Could be intuitive though, head in the direction of the iron vein away from Mid-point until the vein is close enough to get the arrow to switch away from previous marker to the marker you were heading to.

Remembering paths isn't too terribly hard, but getting others to find them is much harder. Bread crumb trails can work easily enough but are not foolproof because there isn't a standard and its much harder to designate diagonal directions. Combine that with the standard view, not using zoom out, and navigating is perilous. Adding visual clutter like having more than maybe two arrows at one time I don't think is desirable as well.

#7 2019-02-04 22:32:37

CrazyEddie

With the current zoom level, directing others to follow a trail is a sad joke. And leading others there yourself (i.e. traveling as a group) is a slapstick farce.

#8 2019-02-05 00:15:19

desertsyd

*cough*  stone obelisks

in gameplay
stone on ground + flint

stone in the middle of the ground tile
then flint in an offset position

ie south east
_ _ _
_ s _
_ _ f

#9 2019-02-05 01:09:01

CrazyEddie

We've had discussions about waypoint markers before (here, here, here, my own suggestion). The problem with any waypoint marker is that it's going to be very hard to find using the default zoom level. I think it would prove impractical to mark the way towards a very distant mine, for example, and expect anyone to be able to reliably follow the marks and find the mine.

#10 2019-02-05 03:22:48

desertsyd

CrazyEddie wrote:

very hard to find using the default zoom level.

tired of players whining about the zoom level.

the zoom level is fine.

the world of OHOL is a grid, how hard is it to move in a straight line. sure, there are obstacles to route around, but it's just as easy to count how many squares you have been pushed off the original path.

#11 2019-02-05 04:02:03

NoTruePunk

desertsyd wrote:
CrazyEddie wrote:

the zoom level is fine.

the world of OHOL is a grid, how hard is it to move in a straight line. sure, there are obstacles to route around, but it's just as easy to count how many squares you have been pushed off the original path.

-1, 0, +1, +2, *OHSHITASNAKE*, +3? -3?

Last edited by NoTruePunk (2019-02-05 04:03:05)

#12 2019-02-05 05:12:11

fragilityh14

desertsyd wrote:

*cough*  stone obelisks

in gameplay
stone on ground + flint

stone in the middle of the ground tile
then flint in an offset position

ie south east
_ _ _
_ s _
_ _ f

or potentially just 3 flint chips and removing the other, then you don't have to find a stone, and you have to have the sharp stone anyway

X X X
X X F
X F F

When i'm out in the wilds i do tend to do random things to demonstrate I've been there, but not in any pattern that actually helps me or anyone else

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#13 2019-02-05 05:47:28

Psykout

desertsyd wrote:
CrazyEddie wrote:

the zoom level is fine.

The problem is that if you ever need to travel in a non linear fashion, such as going around a jungle biome due to mosquitos, it becomes that much harder to see bread crumb trails. To have a fullproof line of "markers" they would need to be so close together that you'd be spending so much of a single life just to do so. All it would take is someone moving a flint because they don't know what it is, or decide they need to use it, and all you have is a line instead of an arrow. It's the equivalent of rotating a road sign so it says safety to the right and danger to the left. Is it impossible to move in a straight line and account for obstacles, no. Does it throw guesswork into the mix, for sure. As tech levels rise even further and civilizations grow, there will already be plenty of difficulty to continue to tech up and thrive, artificial difficulties such as relying on bread crumbs or storage can be frustrating.

#14 2019-02-05 14:02:56

Léonard

desertsyd wrote:

the zoom level is fine..

I actually first installed the zoom mod because I wanted my game to look good.
And yes, at first I was reluctant to zoom all the way out to search things too.
Specifically, I simply wanted to have a 1:1 pixel ratio displayed on my screen (like any other game renders things by the way) just so I wouldn't be constantly looking at a blurry mess.
I was infinitely satisfied once I started using it and made the zoom factor correspond to my resolution (1920x1080).
Everything finally looked sharp and beautiful, even the HUD itself looked WAY better.

I started zooming out specifically to look for things when I became tired of every game becoming a mere rope finding simulator.
I think anyone who takes this game seriously WILL use the zoom out mod.

And even then, sometimes I just don't find things.
This is a huge problem in the game.
You're smithing, suddenly someone takes the hammer and puts it a few tiles away and you end up looking for it for decades just because there is so much litter on the ground.
And you expect me to be playing at the default zoom level at all times?
This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard this week.

Last edited by Léonard (2019-02-05 14:05:18)

Board footer