One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-04 03:20:08

Tarr
Banned

Someone finally did it.

The apocalypse just went off on bigserver2. I'm not sure who finished that bad boy but congrats on doing what others thought was impossible.

On a brighter note: I finally made it to the tutorial in my plane but killed myself prematurely when the client started bugging out. Managed to find my plane in the tutorial and flew home then made a return trip for more tutorial when I forgot the gas (for the millionth time). Was attempting to make a plane to recover the other but that's when the apocalypse went off.

Anyways tutorial flights are possible but you have to close the client and reopen it since the game goes wild whenever you make the trip from or to the tutorial.

iV94S2x.jpg

Last edited by Tarr (2019-02-04 03:21:12)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-02-04 04:09:39

Baker

Re: Someone finally did it.

Kind of glad to be honest, a lot of those towns were horrendous anyways. Jason finally got the apocalypse he wanted.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#3 2019-02-04 04:17:43

Grim_Arbiter

Damn.. I had a feeling it was coming. I just wish I could have gotten one more life in the main hub.

Im honestly just surprised you didn't get to Tarr. I thought you were the only one who could have done it.

Welp time to rebuild!

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-02-04 05:54:50

dangergirl713

I wonder if it was the Speed family.

#5 2019-02-04 13:34:24

karltown_veteran

Tarr wrote:

The apocalypse just went off on bigserver2. I'm not sure who finished that bad boy but congrats on doing what others thought was impossible.

On a brighter note: I finally made it to the tutorial in my plane but killed myself prematurely when the client started bugging out. Managed to find my plane in the tutorial and flew home then made a return trip for more tutorial when I forgot the gas (for the millionth time). Was attempting to make a plane to recover the other but that's when the apocalypse went off.

Anyways tutorial flights are possible but you have to close the client and reopen it since the game goes wild whenever you make the trip from or to the tutorial.

http://i.imgur.com/iV94S2x.jpg

No idea who but good job.. I hid a one-block few towers behind trees but people kept taking down the towers or enclosing them... urghhhhh hmm

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#6 2019-02-04 16:57:21

CrazyEddie

Huh. How 'bout that.

Congratulations!

I wonder what it took to do it, and I wonder what it will take to stop it.

#7 2019-02-04 17:23:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Whoa, really?

So Tarr, you died in the tutorial area?  And it was correctly wiped back to wilderness around you?

#8 2019-02-04 17:27:44

happynova

Wow.  And, aww, man.  I'm not really pro-apocalypse, but I was hoping if it ever happened, I'd be around to see it.  Was anybody streaming at the time and caught it?

#9 2019-02-04 17:38:09

wbeco

Damn i had a cabin close to the apocalypse town with 3 seeping endblocks, was gonna put the 4th one on there after work.

#10 2019-02-04 19:51:37

CrazyEddie

warning: theorycrafting

The main impediment to the Apocalypse a month ago was the difficulty of reliably respawning to the same location after six hours had passed, four times in a row. Lineages don't last a whole day, and with the fixing of the Eve spawning bug, Eve-chaining doesn't return you to your previous towns any more. This made the Apocalypse a challenge through out-of-play logistics, not as a matter of gameplay.

But it seems like it might be possible for a town to survive for a while now. Maybe this is because of disabling sticky sessions, maybe the performance improvements and the bigserver consolidation. Either way, it's a welcome development.

But.

It means that the Apocalypse has shifted from being impossible to being inevitable. If you can now reliably return to a town over the course of a day or two, then you can make an apocalypse tower and probably can't be stopped.

How do I know you can't be stopped? Because the Apocalypse happened and nobody noticed it.

For the Apocalypse to be a meaningful challenge, it has to be possible but stoppable. To stop it you have to be able to know that it's happening. Apocalypse towers need to broadcast their existence and location on a regular basis, much more frequently than only once each time a block is added.

#11 2019-02-04 20:01:34

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

Whoa, really?

So Tarr, you died in the tutorial area?  And it was correctly wiped back to wilderness around you?

I didn't get to see if the tutorial was wiped by the apocalypse sadly. I was busy trying to rebuild a second plane to recover the one in the picture since I forgot kerosene on my second raid over to the tutorial for iron.

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2019-02-04 20:08:31

Dodge

CrazyEddie wrote:

The main impediment to the Apocalypse a month ago was the difficulty of reliably respawning to the same location after six hours had passed, four times in a row. Lineages don't last a whole day, and with the fixing of the Eve spawning bug, Eve-chaining doesn't return you to your previous towns any more. This made the Apocalypse a challenge through out-of-play logistics, not as a matter of gameplay.

But it seems like it might be possible for a town to survive for a while now. Maybe this is because of disabling sticky sessions, maybe the performance improvements and the bigserver consolidation. Either way, it's a welcome development.

But.

It means that the Apocalypse has shifted from being impossible to being inevitable. If you can now reliably return to a town over the course of a day or two, then you can make an apocalypse tower and probably can't be stopped.

How do I know you can't be stopped? Because the Apocalypse happened and nobody noticed it.

For the Apocalypse to be a meaningful challenge, it has to be possible but stoppable. To stop it you have to be able to know that it's happening. Apocalypse towers need to broadcast their existence and location on a regular basis, much more frequently than only once each time a block is added.

It could be interesting if each level of the stepping endtower had a different sound playing that is more "apocalyptic" sounding each time (or at least the last layer) and the higher tier endtowers had priority on the home marker over the smaller towers.

This way you would know if a tower is at the last stage and everyone that wants to stop it would rush there and try ending it or on contrary try to defend it, this could lead to interesting battles between the two sides, the field of the endtower would turn red /devious lol

Basically any indication that the end is near and that ignoring it will result in the apocalypse

#13 2019-02-05 02:03:25

antking:]#

Dodge wrote:
CrazyEddie wrote:

But.

It could be interesting if each level of the stepping endtower had a different sound playing that is more "apocalyptic" sounding each time (or at least the last layer) and the higher tier endtowers had priority on the home marker over the smaller towers.

This way you would know if a tower is at the last stage and everyone that wants to stop it would rush there and try ending it or on contrary try to defend it, this could lead to interesting battles between the two sides, the field of the endtower would turn red /devious lol

Basically any indication that the end is near and that ignoring it will result in the apocalypse

yah that would be nice and at the end their is an entire coarse of mournful music!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

Board footer