One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-02-01 23:54:49

dangergirl713

Re: Freaking Planes

I didn't know the plane just teleports to the nearest pad. Ok-that's pretty OP.

#27 2019-02-02 00:01:31

fragilityh14

yeah I didn't realize that either, I was wondering with how vast the map was how people were actually finding stuff in their planes.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#28 2019-02-02 00:02:11

Tarr
Banned

dangergirl713 wrote:

I didn't know the plane just teleports to the nearest pad. Ok-that's pretty OP.

As long as early camps aren't making a bunch of random launch pads you can within reason reliably return back and forth between towns, iron veins, whatever you want.. If a town has multiple pads any within 250,250 of each other extra ones are ignored with only one being allowed to be active at a time.

Planes are incredibly good if people crank them out. Iron vein 2k from town? Have someone on horse create a landing strip (plaster is containable in a cart) and then use your plane to instantly fly over and mine the thing. I'm still attempting to get a plane to the tutorial (planes can fly up to 4 BILLION tiles according to Jason originally) but I keep goofing up somewhere.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-02-02 00:02:57)

fug it’s Tarr.

#29 2019-02-02 00:03:38

dangergirl713

So each teleport instance is one tick off the kerosene tank?

#30 2019-02-02 00:07:24

Tarr
Banned

dangergirl713 wrote:

So each teleport instance is one tick off the kerosene tank?

You fill the plane then have 30 seconds to get lift (if you end up somewhere random just make a new road so you can get lift again) if you fail it runs out of gas OR if you manage to teleport somewhere. So make sure you only use the tank on a plane when you're specifically ready to fly out of town.

So yes, each time you teleport it uses one kerosene and each tank holds six kerosene (effectively 5 if you store the tank just used to gas the plane.)

fug it’s Tarr.

#31 2019-02-02 06:25:06

Grim_Arbiter

Tarr wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

Today I was in a pre-oil village that had a landing strip, and an unrelated lady suddenly landed there and got stranded in our village because she didn't bring spare kerosene. Suddenly I had motivation to work on oil and try to help her because she felt guilty about losing the plane. I did manage to make an oil rig and some pipes for drilling, but alas some guy stabbed her and she didn't get to see it. But she did leave a daughter behind her, which meant double family in our town which IMO is a great thing. So yeah, I'd say planes have impacted my game at least.

On a funny note after finally getting a plane together (Big thanks to everyone who helped out with the plane!) a kid started the engine for me but forgot to put the tank in the plane... I only noticed this after I ended up in the stone family village now stranded for the rest of my life.

Planes are a doable project for a group of builders in under a life. It was taking me about two hours to basically solo (nearly) kick them out with each attempt failing within about 5~ minutes of finishing the thing up.

Also for anyone who doesn't know make landing pads in your village to make stone "cars." After they decay into roads they are able to be picked up and you can run at road speed as long as you hold onto it. Bonus points for the fact that your road car is able to walk over snakes and deadly animals without harming you. Very very useful stuff if people care to make them for future gens.

Hey the stones! My ma was eve stone and i was bb. We luckily found a half built eve camp so starting was half the work. I cant believe they're still going too. I wonder if they managed to use your plane themselves eventually.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#32 2019-02-02 07:27:27

Baker

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Tarr wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

Today I was in a pre-oil village that had a landing strip, and an unrelated lady suddenly landed there and got stranded in our village because she didn't bring spare kerosene. Suddenly I had motivation to work on oil and try to help her because she felt guilty about losing the plane. I did manage to make an oil rig and some pipes for drilling, but alas some guy stabbed her and she didn't get to see it. But she did leave a daughter behind her, which meant double family in our town which IMO is a great thing. So yeah, I'd say planes have impacted my game at least.

On a funny note after finally getting a plane together (Big thanks to everyone who helped out with the plane!) a kid started the engine for me but forgot to put the tank in the plane... I only noticed this after I ended up in the stone family village now stranded for the rest of my life.

Planes are a doable project for a group of builders in under a life. It was taking me about two hours to basically solo (nearly) kick them out with each attempt failing within about 5~ minutes of finishing the thing up.

Also for anyone who doesn't know make landing pads in your village to make stone "cars." After they decay into roads they are able to be picked up and you can run at road speed as long as you hold onto it. Bonus points for the fact that your road car is able to walk over snakes and deadly animals without harming you. Very very useful stuff if people care to make them for future gens.

Hey the stones! My ma was eve stone and i was bb. We luckily found a half built eve camp so starting was half the work. I cant believe they're still going too. I wonder if they managed to use your plane themselves eventually.

They still have a plane but I can't get the damm thing to take off. It does the thing but just lands back in our town.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#33 2019-02-02 08:00:10

fragilityh14

i ran away from the Stone town today because it seemed like a creepy apocalypse cult, but none of my BBs were willing to live at a new colony or anything sad

Listen to your mom!

#34 2019-02-02 18:03:28

Tarr
Banned

I take back literally every good thing I said about planes they're awful.

Not consistent at all: I used the same runway multiple times and got different results. On trying to return home I hit the place I was trying to leave five times in a row. The first two journeys back and forth went fine after that I just kept hitting where I was leaving. Planes really need to be able to ignore the closest pad to them when lifting off to prevent returning to your departure point.

On the same note: I used the same path twice (now using a different direction in an attempt to get home) first time I returned home, second time using the same stretch of road I crashed. Lord does crashing suck by the way. I had a homemarker pointing me to my old bell town home and I crashed out here from going west. So naturally I start by trying to go east since I crashed from the west.

Crashed again but I've now gone further SE of where I was intending to go. Well if east doesn't work lets go north since that's obviously where the bell tower is where I know I have a landing pad. Crashed for a second time after now, further out than both previous crashes and aging quickly. Last attempt was a NE road but couldn't get lift off on it.

They're already finicky: Take off can be achieved on small roads but takes multiple times, big roads you drive around for a long period of time before take off occurs. It never feels like you know you're going to hit flight when driving down a road for lift as sometimes five works perfectly fine, sometimes five doesn't work and you're stuck trying again. ]

This is by far one of his better updates that is just fucked on release. I hope these get fixed Monday as this update has so much potential that's currently just not usable.

fug it’s Tarr.

#35 2019-02-02 18:41:28

Lily

It is kind of silly that he put looms in just to make wings, though I suspect it will have other uses eventually. The planes are kind of cool. It is nice knowing you can at least attempt to make two villages next to each and fly between them, even if you might end up dying from it.

#36 2019-02-02 18:46:59

SirCaio

Looms are by far my favorite and the most promising addition in this patch.

Last edited by SirCaio (2019-02-02 18:47:36)

#37 2019-02-02 20:20:17

fragilityh14

the crude cars and planes keep making think of this guy,

"It can run 1000 hectares on a single liter of kerosene"
"What country was this made in?"
"It doesn't exist anymore"

hqdefault.jpg

Listen to your mom!

#38 2019-02-02 21:13:51

CrazyEddie

lol

#39 2019-02-04 13:53:11

dangergirl713

I just tested the plane. It doesn't work. I just keep teleporting to the landing strip that is right next to the plane even when there are landing strips farther away.

However, I discovered that you can have your very own mobile road tile. Whenever the landing strip degrades back into a road tile, use the pick on it and it doesn't convert into a flat rock. It becomes a moveable road tile that you can carry and it makes your walking speed as fast as if you were running on a road. When you get bored, then use the pick on it again to make it into a flat rock.

#40 2019-02-04 17:47:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

A few things about planes...

I tested them a lot, and they generally work.  There are probably a few edge-case bugs that I will fix, but it's important to keep these things in mind:

1.  Take-off direction matters.  N, S, E, W.  When you take off in some direction, it goes to the next landing pad in that direction.  If there's no available landing pad in that direction, you come right back home.  So, if you take off N, and land back home, that's all she wrote in that direction.  There's no place to land up there.  Try S instead.

2.  The closest landing pad is excluded when searching for a place to land.  So it doesn't even consider your home pad, even if it is slightly north of where you took off. UNLESS there is no place to land further north anyway, and then you come back to your home pad (The closest one).

3.  When building a landing pad, it is only added to the list of "live" pads if there is no other pad within 250 tiles in both x and y.  So, if there's an older live pad nearby, the new pad won't be added.  Thus, if you are trying to add a pad at an outpost that is too close by, it might not work.

4.  The server detects lift-off when you get to the END of a move at sufficient speed and the move was sufficiently long.  If you are on a LONG ROAD, your move never ends (before you get to the end of your move, the client sends another move, extending your move further down the long road).  Thus, short take-off strips work much better (you often take off when you reach the end of the strip).  Long roads are effectively taxi-ways that don't result in take-off.  (I may change the way that this works in the future.)

#41 2019-02-04 20:24:40

dangergirl713

If you are trying to get to a destination that is northwest-would you need to lift-off north or west?

#42 2019-02-05 00:43:50

The_Anabaptist

Wait up!  Hold the phone!  You mean if I want to grief pilots, I just need to build a bunch of landing strips out in the middle of nowhere?  Or build one and surround it with blocks? 

Time to hunt me some planes!  Muahahahaha!

The_Anabaptist

#43 2019-02-05 18:59:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

If you want to go NW, you can either take off N or W.  If the destination is both the next-closest strip to the N and the next closest strip to the W, it won't matter.

#44 2019-02-05 21:05:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tarr, I hope you can provide me with more information about the trouble that you've had.

I just did quite a bit of testing, and planes are working as I expect them to.

I was able to walk out 250+ away to the North, build a landing strip and N/S runway there, and then fly back and forth between that outpost and my home as many times as I wanted.

I'm wondering, when you said you took of five times from the same strip and kept returning to the same spot, were you sure you were flying in the right direction each time?  Or going back and forth, just trying to take off?

I did improve the take-off code (it's not live yet) to make take off more likely when zooming down a road.  The old code was a bit too strict.  Long roads still won't result in take-off...  I may further fix the code to make this explicit (so that you only take off when reaching a true end of a road).

#45 2019-02-05 23:00:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Just did a ton more testing, with four strips arranged W to E, each 250 further in the X direction that the last one.  And it all worked fine, flying through them in sequence order.

Once you have a plane and fuel, setting up outposts like this becomes very powerful.

I have fixed the server code to "take off" at the end of the road only.  This works much better, and makes feel more consistent.  Now, the min take-off road length is 4.

If you are on a "long road" in one direction, it will never take off (until the end), but if you turn a corner, it can sometimes take off at the corner.

The logic of automatic road travel is actually client-side, so that's why the server's detection of this stuff is a little iffy.

But on a straight road with an end, it pretty much works perfectly now.

#46 2019-02-05 23:09:41

Tarr
Banned

My area I was flying to was NW of the town that I was flying to. Flying north (the town was 2800 west, 300 north) allowed me to fly there twice before getting stuck only returning to the landing strip I was trying to get away from. It possibly could have been an issue with the pad I was leaving from was one tile west of the end of the road where I was getting lift off from. However, like I said two times before I was able to return home no problem without just hitting this tile.

Flying west worked once to get home but on the second attempt flying out west is when the plane straight up crashed. I knew the exact coordinates of the two pads so flying west should have sent me where I was going instead of crashing. The pad I was flying to was <1hr old so I know it shouldn't have decayed in the few minutes I was gone during testing. My only guess when flying west is maybe the road curved north right before lift but even so the other pad was north of the original area.

My only guess when it comes to returning so often is that someone had landed on my airstrip and just sort of sat there for a while, or having my landing strip right next to where I was taking off was interfering with going back home.

fug it’s Tarr.

#47 2019-02-06 00:09:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, yeah, if someone else landed there and blocked it, you're toast!

#48 2019-02-06 00:51:02

CrazyEddie

jasonrohrer wrote:

the plot thickens

#49 2019-02-06 01:14:59

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

That's true but even right now as we speak I'm having issues flying to the tutorial. Going any direction is currently sending me back home instead of flying to a pad that was just there. I'm going to remake it again but there's two pads in existence and instead of going from A to B we're just going back to A each time.

I know tutorial flight is possible since you both said the planes can fly 4B tiles and I've flown 1.7 already. This is the same issue I was having before where my flight couldn't find something 2.8k. Obviously it makes sense if someone has already landed there but wouldn't they also have a landing strip at home for me to hit instead?

Edit: Second runway in the tutorial worked just fine. Not sure why the other one failed to find.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-02-06 01:54:39)

fug it’s Tarr.

#50 2019-02-06 05:10:27

Dodge

I had a similar issue, landed in wilderness when two landing pads where available on server (we did remove and put back a few landing stripes but the one on the video was the first one added on server so it's location should have been kept)

imo if there is at least one landing stripe available on server plane should land on it and not in wilderness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-yu2tbEchI

Last edited by Dodge (2019-02-06 05:11:29)

Board footer