One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-01 03:52:43

BladeWoods

Freaking Planes

https://edge.onetech.info/2698-Running- … rplane-fly

Looks like the next update is crude planes w_w

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-02-01 03:53:23)

#2 2019-02-01 03:53:31

GreatShawn

Re: Freaking Planes

OMG JASON FUCKING ADDED MORE FUCKING USELESS TECH!!

#3 2019-02-01 04:08:03

Baker

From what I understand, Planes are effectively fast travel between towns. Sounds pretty useful to me.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#4 2019-02-01 04:38:39

Grim_Arbiter

GreatShawn wrote:

Looms were also added and people have been asking for those for awhile now. While we can only make wings from them as of now, I doubt that will be the only use in its future.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-02-01 05:58:51

MultiLife

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

Looms were also added and people have been asking for those for awhile now. While we can only make wings from them as of now, I doubt that will be the only use in its future.

Wohooo looms! I want to see clothes!

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-02-01 06:26:07

NoTruePunk

MultiLife wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

Deserts got warmer so we might not need them... Nudist colonies FTW

#7 2019-02-01 06:55:10

WalrusesConquer

PLANES SOUND AMAZING!!!!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#8 2019-02-01 07:02:02

Baker

NoTruePunk wrote:
MultiLife wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Deserts got warmer so we might not need them... Nudist colonies FTW

Or maybe just don't settle on deserts, Jungles are better now anyway.

#9 2019-02-01 08:04:20

Tarr
Banned

GreatShawn wrote:

Not to sound rude but if you can't see how great this update is you're a little bit of a goober. Planes are by FAR much better and usable than anything like cars could even pretend to be. This is very much a game changing addition once people start taking the time to develop air fields and make sure to rip up the random fields Eves or noobs make.

Airplanes are 10/10 friendo.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-02-01 12:24:20

Falsewall

Thought wings were cloth storage bins when I saw them.

#11 2019-02-01 13:38:00

karltown_veteran

BladeWoods wrote:

https://edge.onetech.info/2698-Running- … rplane-fly

Looks like the next update is crude planes w_w

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#12 2019-02-01 14:36:06

BlueDiamondAvatar

Tarr wrote:

Not to sound rude but if you can't see how great this update is you're a little bit of a goober. Planes are by FAR much better and usable than anything like cars could even pretend to be. This is very much a game changing addition once people start taking the time to develop air fields and make sure to rip up the random fields Eves or noobs make.

I admit, I was kinda excited last night.  But in the four lives I played, the new update made zero impact on me or my gameplay.  In general, airplanes were a special gift for Tarr, but not for the normal players, even when we are experienced.

I want more fiber, clothes and storage options.  PERIOD FULL STOP

Ok, there are more ideas than that dancing around in my brain, but until we get more clothing AND more storage, there is nothing else I'm going to talk about.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#13 2019-02-01 14:47:01

Booklat1

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:
Tarr wrote:

I admit, I was kinda excited last night.  But in the four lives I played, the new update made zero impact on me or my gameplay.  In general, airplanes were a special gift for Tarr, but not for the normal players, even when we are experienced.

I mean, one can alway git gud, right? Planes matter because they'll allow for people to fast travel their daughters to big towns, thus keeping many lines active and probably the town too. That's about it, they may not change how the average game works but they ARE a game changer considerig you get pros using them in large towns.

#14 2019-02-01 15:07:59

BlueDiamondAvatar

There are two things that make me less proficient than Tarr, which are really hard for me to change.

One is, I like to "make it work" and hate doing the /die dance to get into big towns.  I just feel terrible for all the moms I leave behind, and I'm bad at judging how big the town is from the first 30 seconds.  So I'm generally in a small town that is struggling to survive and needs someone to fix the sheep pen, rather than a town that can support Necommen smithing for fun.  This is the gameplay style Jason envisioned, and it happens to be my gameplay style.  I can push myself to hop to the biggest town, but... I'll probably never do that as often as Tarr does.

Second is, I'm just a slow clicker.  I'm old.  <cue whiny violin music>  In my day, kids didn't have these fancy gaming systems to train their hand-eye coordination to such high standards.  I'm pretty sure my Commodore 64 didn't have a mouse.  I had to use a keyboard to play Asteroids.  Also, my current gaming setup is less than ideal.

So while I know how to make everything a smith makes and more...I get half as much done in the time a decent smith can do it.  I'd much rather build the kiln, make the bellows, bring the smith all the branches and iron, tell them what tools I want in return, then come back later.

I just don't think their willingness to make stuff for me extends to diesel engines for airplanes... or entire systems for making fuel.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#15 2019-02-01 15:32:19

Grim_Arbiter

Booklat1 wrote:

I mean, one can alway git gud, right? Planes matter because they'll allow for people to fast travel their daughters to big towns, thus keeping many lines active and probably the town too. That's about it, they may not change how the average game works but they ARE a game changer considerig you get pros using them in large towns.

Looking at my recent family tree, we finally got the plane being built in our village up. One of our pilots made it to another village, only to be promptly murdered by the inhabitants there.

It sounds like it can be a perilous mission as well and I hope to make that flight myself one day.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-02-01 15:33:39)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#16 2019-02-01 15:50:58

Baker

I'd just like to point out that if you're new, too lazy to build complex tech or your town doesn't have resources you can still help out. Build airports in your towns, They only require a limestone and some flat rocks. This gives somewhere for people to actually fly to.

#17 2019-02-01 19:08:50

CrazyEddie

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

This point is not said nor appreciated enough.

I'm glad all the advanced toys exist and I'm looking forward to experiencing them in game, even slightly, but they aren't doing anything for most players.

#18 2019-02-01 19:50:56

dangergirl713

I agree. Gameplay gets more exciting when there are efficiency changes to temp regulation (clothes), food creation, water and building.

There are no issues with fast travel after the horse cart. Plus the car and plane have a disadvantage because they require gas. No one needs to travel 300% faster to places and it really doesn't work that well because there is map load lag when you are traveling so fast.

The loom might be a game changer in the future.

#19 2019-02-01 20:01:05

Tarr
Banned

dangergirl713 wrote:

I agree. Gameplay gets more exciting when there are efficiency changes to temp regulation (clothes), food creation, water and building.

There are no issues with fast travel after the horse cart. Plus the car and plane have a disadvantage because they require gas. No one needs to travel 300% faster to places and it really doesn't work that well because there is map load lag when you are traveling so fast.

The loom might be a game changer in the future.

But the plane is instantaneous travel, (no more 10+ minutes of traveling to get somewhere) can't just be lost like horses and cars (they end up on launch pads so you have to lamely drive them off to hide, and make resource gathering a breeze once the kinks are worked out. Kerosene has almost no cost to make once you have the pump so that draw back really shouldn't matter.

We had food updates for like 5 months straight it's nice getting some actual tech in the game instead of another random food. Clothing and buildings aren't going to matter until he eventually does a whole another temperature rework or makes clothing more viable so neither of those would be good updates at this point anyways.

fug it’s Tarr.

#20 2019-02-01 20:56:14

fragilityh14

the idea has always been that the game will have a huge tech tree which takes a long time. It is the nature of things that only a specialized part of the players will now extremely advanced things.

Granted, I was gone for several months, but i'm jut now really starting the journey up the tech tree. Part of this is because griefing was so bad before I left i mostly hid out from civilizations. But i've played a ton and still don't really smith [know what to do in theory] or or do carpentry [I'm just not that interested in making buildings]. I'm great at the aspects of food production, and end up doing a lot of the crucial things that keep civs alive.

I guess my point here is : I want there to be planes but don't currently have the desire to learn such advanced tech.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#21 2019-02-01 21:19:42

Potjeh

Today I was in a pre-oil village that had a landing strip, and an unrelated lady suddenly landed there and got stranded in our village because she didn't bring spare kerosene. Suddenly I had motivation to work on oil and try to help her because she felt guilty about losing the plane. I did manage to make an oil rig and some pipes for drilling, but alas some guy stabbed her and she didn't get to see it. But she did leave a daughter behind her, which meant double family in our town which IMO is a great thing. So yeah, I'd say planes have impacted my game at least.

#22 2019-02-01 21:38:47

Tarr
Banned

Potjeh wrote:

Today I was in a pre-oil village that had a landing strip, and an unrelated lady suddenly landed there and got stranded in our village because she didn't bring spare kerosene. Suddenly I had motivation to work on oil and try to help her because she felt guilty about losing the plane. I did manage to make an oil rig and some pipes for drilling, but alas some guy stabbed her and she didn't get to see it. But she did leave a daughter behind her, which meant double family in our town which IMO is a great thing. So yeah, I'd say planes have impacted my game at least.

On a funny note after finally getting a plane together (Big thanks to everyone who helped out with the plane!) a kid started the engine for me but forgot to put the tank in the plane... I only noticed this after I ended up in the stone family village now stranded for the rest of my life.

Planes are a doable project for a group of builders in under a life. It was taking me about two hours to basically solo (nearly) kick them out with each attempt failing within about 5~ minutes of finishing the thing up.

Also for anyone who doesn't know make landing pads in your village to make stone "cars." After they decay into roads they are able to be picked up and you can run at road speed as long as you hold onto it. Bonus points for the fact that your road car is able to walk over snakes and deadly animals without harming you. Very very useful stuff if people care to make them for future gens.

fug it’s Tarr.

#23 2019-02-01 22:19:06

dangergirl713

Can you only land and take off on landing strips? What happens if there are no landing strips around when the plane runs out of gas?

#24 2019-02-01 22:43:43

hmrka

Tarr wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

On a funny note after finally getting a plane together (Big thanks to everyone who helped out with the plane!) a kid started the engine for me but forgot to put the tank in the plane... I only noticed this after I ended up in the stone family village now stranded for the rest of my life.

Planes are a doable project for a group of builders in under a life. It was taking me about two hours to basically solo (nearly) kick them out with each attempt failing within about 5~ minutes of finishing the thing up.

Also for anyone who doesn't know make landing pads in your village to make stone "cars." After they decay into roads they are able to be picked up and you can run at road speed as long as you hold onto it. Bonus points for the fact that your road car is able to walk over snakes and deadly animals without harming you. Very very useful stuff if people care to make them for future gens.

The town with a plane on their landing strip is just 1.7 km south (and a bit west) of apocalypse bell tower city. So If anybody wants to travel the few km there, bring some kerosine and get the plane into city!

Also stone "cars" op, better than a stupid horse who dies from a mere snake bite! And if you're hungry, and get off the stone car to grab some berrys to eat - it won't run away from you like a horse does. It will cover you from all dangerous animals, you just gotta stand on it. As one of the first stone car riders I feel proud of myself for the discovery.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#25 2019-02-01 23:18:34

Tarr
Banned

dangergirl713 wrote:

Can you only land and take off on landing strips? What happens if there are no landing strips around when the plane runs out of gas?

You take off on roads. 3-5 road tiles should be enough to reach lift off and you'll just teleport to the closest pad to the cardinal direction you fly off in. If there's no landing strips what so ever you'll "crash" and land out in the middle of nowhere where an Eve would have spawned.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer