One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-20 10:52:40

Guluere

Simple Shields

What I think the game can have is shields, they can block 1 arrow or 1 slash before breaking and also stun melee attackers for 1 sec, shots from arrow will break the arrow with the shield, while using the shield, you can still pick stuff up, kind of like a arm shield, this is so people can't just 1 shot or 1 slash people to death, giving the person time to run or attack the attacker.

The shield would cost planks and rope, which is not easy to get unless a village gets vital tools and wood to craft them.

There could also have iron, steel shields that can block more hits : 2, 3. But makes the person unable to pick heavy stuff up. Etc : Basket, Bow, Log. But can still use light stuff like knife, berries. Light stuff are things that can be placed in a basket, heavy ones are the ones that can't.

I also see this as a way to avoid the sudden kills the game currently have, where the people can instantly kill someone by using a knife. This also makes it possible to have small clan wars, raids, etc.

All while making the fighting system as simple as possible without random variables. smile

Last edited by Guluere (2018-03-20 11:31:17)

#2 2018-03-20 11:30:52

Helperguy

Re: Simple Shields

i dont like a weapon system at all. This game is the first game i am playing since about 10 years, because i was bored about other game concepts which all include battles. I would definitely not play this game anymore, if fighting will play a higher priority in this game. this would destroy the games concept of crafting together instead of batteling against each other

#3 2018-03-20 11:35:37

Guluere

Helperguy wrote:

i dont like a weapon system at all. This game is the first game i am playing since about 10 years, because i was bored about other game concepts which all include battles. I would definitely not play this game anymore, if fighting will play a higher priority in this game. this would destroy the games concept of crafting together instead of batteling against each other

Before the Industrial Revolution, land = food = money. This is why before the industrial revolution, there is soo many fights for land. If you really do want a game where there is no battles, I suggest farmville. Unless you already play that game, then, I don't really know what else to say.

#4 2018-03-20 11:57:02

Dchella

Guluere wrote:
Helperguy wrote:

Before the Industrial Revolution, land = food = money. This is why before the industrial revolution, there is soo many fights for land. If you really do want a game where there is no battles, I suggest farmville. Unless you already play that game, then, I don't really know what else to say.

Land always equated to money and that never changed after the industrial revolution. The only thing that did change was the shuffling of once profitable lands, to more profitable and factory supportable areas.Tropical jungles in Africa which were completely useless up until the 1860's were now seen as invaluable, why? Rubber trees. Leopold of Belgium even says he does not want to miss out on the "African Cake." At this time Portuguese (Brazilian) rubber is all but ignored for the most part..  The cotton belt in the South, which was a key for British textile manufacturies was ignored while the Brits expanded into the Nile and began encouraging cotton, same thing in India. If anything, after the 2nd Industrial Revolution, Imperialism was born and that made countries MORE hungry for land..German Tongoland, French Maghreb, British Raj/Egypt/Malaya Belgian Congo, Dutch East Indies, japanese Manchuria, Italian Libya (and their first attempt on Ethiopia), all the treaty ports from China, American Philippines, the list goes on..

The problem with what you want to build falls under time constraints. In fighting games where you typically make a base, raid others, defend, whatever you have weeks to grind that shit out (like in Rust). Here you have an hour, and after that hour your investment is gone and you spawn far far away, where you must relearn your surroundings and political environment. It's just not doable, whether you like FarmVille or not.. this is not a fighting game.

Last edited by Dchella (2018-03-20 12:11:15)

#5 2018-03-20 12:21:33

Guluere

Battles is gonna be a thing if you like it or not, if battles aren't gonna be a thing, the ability for pvp is never gonna be a thing in the first place, your saying on using Rust as an example is useless, you might think that. "Well, I am gonna lose everything when in 1 hour anyway, maybe I shouldn't do anything." Kind of thinking is wrong in this game, where the POINT is to leave the next generation with things you couldn't accomplish in the first place.

The point of the game was never, you can do everything by yourself, the point was to have someone else do something that you don't have time to do, they could be a soldier while you farm, etc. If I use your logic, are you implying that one can stroll into a village, pull a cart of food away, and you would be fine with it?

Last edited by Guluere (2018-03-20 12:22:22)

#6 2018-03-20 13:24:21

Guluere

Back on topic, the suggestion is to add shields for people to use, unless you are a troll, you would want this as well.

#7 2018-03-20 16:11:01

Left4twenty

Guluere wrote:

Back on topic, the suggestion is to add shields for people to use, unless you are a troll, you would want this as well.

No trolls would want them too, I imagine a shield is pretty indiscriminate in its function

Be strong.
Mother loves you.

#8 2018-03-20 16:13:01

Helperguy

Guluere wrote:

Battles is gonna be a thing if you like it or not, if battles aren't gonna be a thing, the ability for pvp is never gonna be a thing in the first place, your saying on using Rust as an example is useless, you might think that. "Well, I am gonna lose everything when in 1 hour anyway, maybe I shouldn't do anything." Kind of thinking is wrong in this game, where the POINT is to leave the next generation with things you couldn't accomplish in the first place.

The point of the game was never, you can do everything by yourself, the point was to have someone else do something that you don't have time to do, they could be a soldier while you farm, etc. If I use your logic, are you implying that one can stroll into a village, pull a cart of food away, and you would be fine with it?

If someone will  come to my village and pull a full cart of food away, then i would not try to waste my time punishing him. this is completely senseless, because it does not solve the problem. he will be reborn anyway. Instead, i would try to build a new cart, because the old one wont be lost. its just somewhere else, and maybe someone else is happy about the cart?

i have often been a hunter/traveler , living outside villages and im often happy to find carts and baskets to bring back stuff that villages need.

but how productive am i, when i try to punish someone? not even 1%

#9 2018-03-20 19:22:13

Uncle Gus

Wars don't make sense in this game, because there's nothing to fight for that can't be easily found pretty much anywhere. Also, since you only live for one hour, and there's no knowing where you'll appear after that, there is nothing gained that is kept.

A shield implies preparation. It would make sense in a battle setting, but there are no battles because war isn't a thing in this game. So that's the first reason shields make no sense.

The second reason is that every item that you add to the game is available to good players and trolls. The answer to dealing with trolls is not to empower the individual. "The griefer has a knife! Add shields to the game!" Now the griefer has a shield too. "Okay, add a weapon that destroys the shield!" Now the griefer has that weapon too. "Add a weapon that prevents that weapon from destroying the shield!" Now the griefer has that at their disposal too. It's just a plain old arms race.

And it's not just on an even level. The troll comes to the scene prepared to troll. The victims are not prepared. So the more items that you add that require preparation and foresight, like shields, the more prepared the troll will be.

This is a bad idea.

#10 2018-03-20 20:18:37

Dchella

Guluere wrote:

It's not the idea of losing everything which is pointless, it's the fact that you have such little time to actually accomplish anything of note, WITHOUT running around looking for potential raids and committing them. Time is already spent hunting rabbits, farming, building, cooking pie, fetching water, etc. Having a group of organized soldiers randomly pop up and attack a nearby village nobody would know about (or remember within an hour) after scouting it, and preparing for the attack is way too hard. Chances are the village will die on its own, because villages are in limbo with getting repopulated and dying off constantly.

People cant even learn to pick carrots up from baskets and you expect them to become a standing professional army. In Rust you have weeks to build your base and hold onto your juicy loot, in this game you have what? 5 minutes? In rust you have days to scout out and prepare for the raid, in this game you have what? 10 minutes to find the objective and then attack right away as an organized force? It's a waste of time.

To become a fighting force you need a political situation or system, one which doesn't exist. You also need OTHERS to have one to ensure that there is a city to attack, rivalries to be formed, etc all within an hour (which can disappear within said timeframe). Then after you die, the political environment changes, the geography changes, the "country" changes, etc. there's no involvement, committment, or loyalty to be had with the system; it's stupid.

Last edited by Dchella (2018-03-20 20:23:02)

Board footer