One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-25 02:35:08

Tarr
Banned

Tarr's apocalyptic adventure.

By now if you haven't heard the bells I got a server one apocalypse tower up to the final tier today but as of writing this I'm certain they've pulled the thing down. I spent 12 hours today personally guarding that thing with only very minor breaks in between lives. Looking back if I had started only a day earlier I very likely would have been able to pull the apocalypse off or well two days ago to be very specific. I ran into some problems along the way to reaching the last tier of the apocalypse

1) People were always curious and/or trying to bust in. At the very start when I put the second tier up (I set tier 1 up yesterday) the server was sitting around 30 people. This meant anyone who came over was generally by themselves so they were quickly dispatched if not swayed to stop messing with the bunker. At first this wasn't an issue but soon...

2) Jason shoved everyone to S1 for server testing and what not. This meant what was a project of 1 against 30-50 was now 1 vs 150ish. Now when people came to mess with the thing it wasn't just one person it was sudden three, four, or even five people. This is way too many people for a single person to deal with and having so many people on the server led to another family joining the area.

3) People who were removed respawned to the second family (duh). What does this mean? I absolutely got cursed to donkey town as soon as I snowballed a person. I kill one? Suddenly three people saying "curse Jane." I kill them? They respawn as children who are now all repeating the same thing. This added in a 2 hour afk period on my account (I thought first trip was only 30 minutes?) however I was still in the town watching.

4) Nothing is ungriefable. As much as I attempted to feigned to have the apocalypse stopped I cannot completely protect the thing with any tactic. Make a door? Newcomen block. Newcomen blocks being unremovable made for a good bunker for the apocalypse but they also prevent the thing from being accessible at all.

So how in the world can one person stay in a village for 12 hours? Twinning. As long as someone in the group isn't lineage banned to a village the whole twin/trip/quad can spawn into the place repeatedly until all members of the group are lineage banned. What I would do is spawn into the place and instantly kill my twin (awbz mod) and proceed to stay with the now thankful family. Rinse and repeat this while afking as Eve on the second account to avoid lineage ban timeout and boom. I'm able to stay wherever I want.

What is the takeaway from this whole adventure? Without either a very dedicated group of players or a cheesing single player with multiple accounts the apocalypse is just not doable. Twins need to be banned to a lineage if one member of the group is already banned along with both players receiving curses together.

The Apocalypse makes for a great bell. I actually stopped work on our original bell as the Apocalypse chime was getting further with each tier completed I believe at t3 we were getting it to go off for about 5k+ away from the village.

Fix newcomen blocks. These things should not be used to door grief and they sure as hell shouldn't be being used for building an apocalypse bunker. There needs to be a buff to removing the actual blocks. Honestly, the apocalypse tower should either let you remove or add a block only when it is seeping this allows you to go up or down a tier every six hours which surely seems a lot more reasonable. My 12 hours of guarding the tower went down the pisser in about ten minutes once a child inside was big enough to disable it.

And to make this clear I wasn't ever griefing members of the town I would only kill people who wanted to bust into the bunker. Anyone playing in the town normally were just trying to have fun and I meant zero ill will towards those players. Lots of players would just sort of break into griefing though. Had someone destroy all the forges at t1 because apparently "everyone" wanted the apocalypse. Donkey town wasn't too awful with me being able to afk on one account and play on the other.

I'd still recommend putting up an apocalypse bell in your town. The amount of people who get drawn to the thing will keep the population growing even when the original population wanes.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-01-25 02:40:35

Tarr
Banned

Re: Tarr's apocalyptic adventure.

And thanks to all those who showed up to help I appreciate the back up. Those first eight hours were rather long and drawn out.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-01-25 03:16:57

Gederian

The end was sad. I saw the kid take it down. I got shot through the blocks with an arrow (didn't think they could) after adding the fourth stone and they put the other kid in to disassemble.

The only reason that town existed was because of that tower. When I died there was a mass famine and now no more eves to repopulate.

#4 2019-01-25 06:36:28

MultiLife

Tarr wrote:

What is the takeaway from this whole adventure? Without either a very dedicated group of players or a cheesing single player with multiple accounts the apocalypse is just not doable. Twins need to be banned to a lineage if one member of the group is already banned along with both players receiving curses together.

Good. And agreed.

Tarr wrote:

Fix newcomen blocks. These things should not be used to door grief and they sure as hell shouldn't be being used for building an apocalypse bunker.

Yeah these kinds of things should be fixed in a hotfix like arrow notes.

Tarr wrote:

I'd still recommend putting up an apocalypse bell in your town. The amount of people who get drawn to the thing will keep the population growing even when the original population wanes.

Nah man. Putting up an apocalypse tower to get migration going ends up in a chaos of people trying to build and destroy the tower while the town suffers. You get attention, sure, but bad kinds of attention, not worth it imo. You even said someone was griefing forges, assuming everyone wants an apocalypse there.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-25 06:36:53)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#5 2019-01-25 06:42:21

Alias

Tarr, so you want changes to Apocalypse so it is doable by one person? Are you serious?

#6 2019-01-25 07:40:28

Tarr
Banned

Alias wrote:

Tarr, so you want changes to Apocalypse so it is doable by one person? Are you serious?

I want changes so it's doable in the first place. Are you telling me a six hour waiting period between adding is balanced vs ripping down three tiers in ten seconds is? Eighteen hours worth of work was removed in ten minutes (would be shorter but a kid had to grow up in the bunker.)  I'm asking for there to be some sort of way to it to be done in the first place.

Do you think the apocalypse should only be triggered by some supah secret club who afk guard it for 24 hours is in the spirit of the thing? I also want to see all the things I was abusing in the first place to even get that far to be fixed. By no means should there be a way for one person to just trigger the apocalypse like I was doing but making the apocalypse effectively impossible also shouldn't be a thing.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-01-25 08:03:17

Crumpaloo

Tarr wrote:
Alias wrote:

I want changes so it's doable in the first place. Are you telling me a six hour waiting period between adding is balanced vs ripping down three tiers in ten seconds is? Eighteen hours worth of work was removed in ten minutes (would be shorter but a kid had to grow up in the bunker.)  I'm asking for there to be some sort of way to it to be done in the first place.

Do you think the apocalypse should only be triggered by some supah secret club who afk guard it for 24 hours is in the spirit of the thing? I also want to see all the things I was abusing in the first place to even get that far to be fixed. By no means should there be a way for one person to just trigger the apocalypse like I was doing but making the apocalypse effectively impossible also shouldn't be a thing.

Thats because the apocalypse goes against the whole premise of the game itself. You wanna build something for your family to pass down? TOO BAD apocolypse just killed you, your entire family, they're lineage, and anything you built in that time. I get wanting to do it just because you wonder if people even can, and i wonder that two, but if you start cheesing with the time it takes to get a apocalypse then its gonna be just like the old one where someone is setting it off every hour, not fun.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#8 2019-01-25 08:11:29

Alias

You would have accomplished if it stayed you Vs 50+ players server, wouldn't you? Only moving all players to one server stopped you. That's not enough? You almost did it.

From what you say if there were 2 more players similar to you cooperating with you then you would manage. 3 players Vs ALL other players to accomplish this is way to easy.

And yes, I think it is in the spirit of the thing to require at least small (5-10 players?) organized *civilization* to trigger the most challenging thing in the game - civilization wipe. I think that might be still  too easy, maybe not. Do you think, in the spirit of this game of civilization building, this should require anything less?

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to be part of it smile and 3 players cooperation seems like huge boost thanks to backup plans and shenanigans with meds.

Last edited by Alias (2019-01-25 08:13:52)

#9 2019-01-25 09:27:05

hmrka

Absolute madlad. I spawned in there and asked my mom for a tour. She showed me everything in town then took me north, I thought she wanted to starve me or something because there were too many babies. Nope - she just casually walked next to the bunker and said "apocalypse" what a chill mom. Immediatelly knew you made it lol. There was a pair of twins trying to get in but I laughed at them cause they didn't know how it works.. When I watered some trees you planted, one of them chased me with a knife so I ran away. They later starved lmao. Anyway I spent the two lives patrolling near borders, was nice seeing you again! Sorry I had kids near it and you thought im trying to destroy it lol

Crumpaloo wrote:

the apocalypse goes against the whole premise of the game itself. You wanna build something for your family to pass down? TOO BAD apocolypse just killed you, your entire family, they're lineage, and anything you built in that time.

You literally think noobs ruin the game. Also this apocalypse doesnt kill you, just resets the whole map. Its much more harder to do than the old one so what tarr did can be admired even if youre very anti-apocalypse.

Tarr wrote:
Alias wrote:

Do you think the apocalypse should only be triggered by some supah secret club who afk guard it for 24 hours is in the spirit of the thing?

Maybe putting one of the layers down should make you instantly die? And it would work like getting murdered so you'll get lineage-banned for it too. This way one person can dismantle only one layer. Not the best but I don't really see jason adding anything more than that, since so many people are strongly against the apocalypse.

Also it's a good opportunity for roleplaying. Just imagine forcing your useless kid to do it- uh I mean sacrifcing yourself for the greater good !

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#10 2019-01-25 12:12:33

Alias

Now that's an idea! Voluntary sacrifice and no medical workaround!

#11 2019-01-25 12:38:17

Baker

Got any screenshots of your bunker?

Wonder how much you fortified.

How about trapping an animal in the entrance way so people would be forced to take a hit to get in. The only downside is you'd always need a friend in the base to heal you when you enter. But as long as you have somebody inside it'll be impossible to destroy the endtower.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#12 2019-01-25 13:22:25

Tarr
Banned

Baker wrote:

Got any screenshots of your bunker?

Wonder how much you fortified.

How about trapping an animal in the entrance way so people would be forced to take a hit to get in. The only downside is you'd always need a friend in the base to heal you when you enter. But as long as you have somebody inside it'll be impossible to destroy the endtower.

I didn't actually take any screenshots of the thing in action because I was more worried about watching it than anything else. I have someone else's screenshot of the thing though.

EiSUCN4.png

The thing wasn't even fortified much more than any of the other ones I put up. As you can see by the crumbled adobe (and behind the womans head) were where I would put fake blocks (either adobe or regular stone squares) to dig up and even had a functioning one way door. The door + that left side were griefed within the first 6 hours of the bunker being built. Thanks to whoever did that as it was easier to lie about the thing being completely fubar to random people. I would occasionally grow maples in front of the entrance as a way to keep time since each round of trees would be an hour and a half to finish.

Next serious attempt I won't put the thing right next to a town though I'm not sure when I'm going to make an attempt again as a 12 hour session of baby sitting absolutely did a number on me.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-01-25 13:33:37

Grim_Arbiter

I still applaud you, this was a pretty big attempt and a beyond almost everyone. As someone who was on the fence about all this, you have swayed me and next time I hear the call I will set off to help protect it.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#14 2019-01-25 13:40:25

karltown_veteran

Apocalypse towers should not be able to be taken down.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#15 2019-01-25 13:46:51

Grim_Arbiter

The only thing I can think of to combat it would be to set up two at the same time and add on to both and make one obvious and one hidden. It could buy you time?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#16 2019-01-25 14:17:03

Tarr
Banned

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I still applaud you, this was a pretty big attempt and a beyond almost everyone. As someone who was on the fence about all this, you have swayed me and next time I hear the call I will set off to help protect it.

Yeah I never would have thought I could have gotten to the last tier settled when I set out on this attempt. I thought I was in the green but then we came to the grave discovery that it was going to take another six hours to settle and by that time I knew the run was dead. Once I was lineage banned on both accounts I just went to bed as I knew they were getting into it and nothing could be stopped at that point.

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

The only thing I can think of to combat it would be to set up two at the same time and add on to both and make one obvious and one hidden. It could buy you time?

I think something like that would work better but I had duplicate smaller towers set up around the town which never seemed to chime for me or the other players around them. I had three untouchables within 1-2k of the city each one either being NE, NW, or SW as a bait chime but I'm not certain anyone actually heard the traps go off. I also had two other small towers around another village but if none of them draw people to them they're sort of a waste to put up.

karltown_veteran wrote:

Apocalypse towers should not be able to be taken down.

Honestly I'm perfectly fine with my work being undone but with how he has it setup now it's just going to require a group effort instead of something like my solo attempt. If anything there really has to be some sort of cost to removing endblocks as there's no way to protect the tower at all. I'm mostly hoping this attempt gets Jason to actually do something about either making the apocalypse possible without extreme cheese strats (twinning to bypass lineage ban, using ummovable blocks to both block the apocalypse and make a bunker, etc.) or even him just making it so you can remove a block every six hours just like you can place one. As of right now any real attempts are going to take abusing loop holes to get it done.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-01-25 14:19:28)

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2019-01-25 15:29:56

dangergirl713

I was in this town (New San Cal). I think the biggest issue is not being to remove newcomen foundation blocks. If Jason could fix that then this wouldn't be as bad.

#18 2019-01-25 16:29:47

sigmen4020

If you were the same Jane where mostly everyone told us to curse you, you might have been my daughter Jane during this life
(Fionna):

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3069630

I dedicated most of my life to take care of the sheep pen, and making aprons for the family as a side product. I don't know if you were one of two other babies I was taking care of when your young brother Tommy admitted to being new. After that I taught Tommy how to feed the lamb and told him that it was important to keep one unsheared, which he in turn told others when he got into a rhythm of sheep feeding. He died though, when I was teaching him how to make pies.

When it comes to you I mostly saw you on horseback for a while wearing a santa hat (presumably to avoid being killed by angry villagers and guarding the apocalypse tower), and hitting a girl who was telling people to curse you with snowball. I never saw the apocalypse tower, but I heard some mention of it from others in town (the people who told us to curse you). I am mostly neutral about the apocalypse, because I wasn't playing when the monolith apocalypse was a thing. I feel like it could be pretty cool for it to happen, but I personally am not going to actively pursue.

Was the apocalypse to the north of the town, and were you the same Jane I'm describing?

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#19 2019-01-25 16:40:41

Tarr
Banned

sigmen4020 wrote:

If you were the same Jane where mostly everyone told us to curse you, you might have been my daughter Jane during this life
(Fionna):

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3069630

I dedicated most of my life to take care of the sheep pen, and making aprons for the family as a side product. I don't know if you were one of two other babies I was taking care of when your young brother Tommy admitted to being new. After that I taught Tommy how to feed the lamb and told him that it was important to keep one unsheared, which he in turn told others when he got into a rhythm of sheep feeding. He died though, when I was teaching him how to make pies.

When it comes to you I mostly saw you on horseback for a while wearing a santa hat (presumably to avoid being killed by angry villagers and guarding the apocalypse tower), and hitting a girl who was telling people to curse you with snowball. I never saw the apocalypse tower, but I heard some mention of it from others in town (the people who told us to curse you). I am mostly neutral about the apocalypse, because I wasn't playing when the monolith apocalypse was a thing. I feel like it could be pretty cool for it to happen, but I personally am not going to actively pursue.

Was the apocalypse to the north of the town, and were you the same Jane I'm describing?

That was indeed me. The girl asking for curses had already been killed once or was one that had gotten away. I came back to the middle of the city to remove her since cursing me would move me away from my post for what I thought would be 30 minutes. Ended up being a 2 hour trip for my first time to donkey town in 1400 hours. I rode around on that horse so I would have quick access to snowballs and could keep an eye on anyone trying to fool with the apocalypse bunker. It was a bit NW of the town right near where the unfinished bell tower/building was.

At this point is when Jason dumped all the players onto S1 on the town population had exploded into a number I couldn't control any longer.

dangergirl713 wrote:

I was in this town (New San Cal). I think the biggest issue is not being to remove newcomen foundation blocks. If Jason could fix that then this wouldn't be as bad.

Yeah it was originally mango tree city but they ended up changing the name. If he doesn't fix the newcomen blocking issue next attempt I'll be using other players outside of the determined group to force birth players into the apocalypse village.

fug it’s Tarr.

#20 2019-01-25 17:20:18

CrazyEddie

The apocalypse needs to be neither impossible nor inevitable; in either case it's a pointless mechanism. If it's impossible, as it appears to be now, it will never happen, and no one will even try. If it's possible at all, then a supervillain such as Tarr will find a way to make it happen, and once others learn the technique it will happen all the time.

The ideal state is where someone, or a few people working together, can attempt the apocalypse and have some confidence that it might succeed. This gives everyone else something to do and a reason to do it, namely to stop the apocalypse. Doing it needs to be a challenge, and stopping it needs to be a challenge.

Apocalypse 1.0 was a foregone conclusion - if you want it, you can do it, and you can't be stopped. So it happened every hour. Apocalypse 2.0 is also a foregone conclusion - no matter how dedicated you are, no matter how hard you work, no matter how much skill you have, no matter how well you can exploit the game's odd quirks... you cannot make the apocalypse. (*)

Foregone conclusions are no fun. No one will try - no one has tried since the week after it was introduced, and the only reason it was tried this time is because Jason specifically asked for it.

The idea is great, it just needs work.

----

(*) Okay, it actually is possible, because a caster did it. But it took a group of people camping out on a low-pop server creating a forced lineage coordinated through discord for a couple of days in a row. I don't think that's the kind of effort that Jason envisioned for a successful attempt.

#21 2019-01-25 17:42:35

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

This added in a 2 hour afk period on my account (I thought first trip was only 30 minutes?)

Time spent in Donkey Town is based on the lifetime total number of curses you've received, not the number of times you've been sent to Donkey Town. The algorithm is described in this post. I'm surprised you only got a two-hour sentence. Maybe that was on your alt account instead of your main?

The algorithm was designed with typical players / griefers in mind, so naturally it breaks down for minmaxers. You and pein aren't spending nearly enough time in Donkey Town. Not only should the sentence length be increased as your lifetime total increases, but the threshold should likewise be reduced. I'm pretty sure the intention behind the curse system was not "You are allowed to piss off just enough people to receive one curse per hour on average, in perpetuity."

I'll open an issue on github and suggest a better algorithm.

#22 2019-01-25 18:02:09

Tarr
Banned

CrazyEddie wrote:

The apocalypse needs to be neither impossible nor inevitable; in either case it's a pointless mechanism. If it's impossible, as it appears to be now, it will never happen, and no one will even try. If it's possible at all, then a supervillain such as Tarr will find a way to make it happen, and once others learn the technique it will happen all the time.

The ideal state is where someone, or a few people working together, can attempt the apocalypse and have some confidence that it might succeed. This gives everyone else something to do and a reason to do it, namely to stop the apocalypse. Doing it needs to be a challenge, and stopping it needs to be a challenge.

Apocalypse 1.0 was a foregone conclusion - if you want it, you can do it, and you can't be stopped. So it happened every hour. Apocalypse 2.0 is also a foregone conclusion - no matter how dedicated you are, no matter how hard you work, no matter how much skill you have, no matter how well you can exploit the game's odd quirks... you cannot make the apocalypse. (*)

Foregone conclusions are no fun. No one will try - no one has tried since the week after it was introduced, and the only reason it was tried this time is because Jason specifically asked for it.

The idea is great, it just needs work.

----

(*) Okay, it actually is possible, because a caster did it. But it took a group of people camping out on a low-pop server creating a forced lineage coordinated through discord for a couple of days in a row. I don't think that's the kind of effort that Jason envisioned for a successful attempt.

I mean I wouldn't exactly say impossible but that's pretty close to what it is. I could probably juggle three or four accounts to actually hit the required number to keep the lineage going without ever needing another player but that's a bit much even for myself. With a group of players devoted to doing it the apocalypse can happen. It's possible to build a walled city that could prevent anyone from coming into it besides players being born and players outside of the designated apocalypse group can be raised to birth apocalypse players back. If you get two different lineages in the pit the players never have to worry about lineage ban and it just becomes a game of stopping any defectors from ruining the apocalypse before it happens. Even using something like the twin+ ban avoidance one account could repeatedly ferry the group back through one of the birthing prisons to be raised by the others.

So the thing is technically possible as it's no different from a devoted lineage run on the server and these have been shown possible before. It's just an issue of organizing a group willing to spend the 24 required hours to sit inside a box waiting to stack some blocks.

CrazyEddie wrote:

Time spent in Donkey Town is based on the lifetime total number of curses you've received, not the number of times you've been sent to Donkey Town. The algorithm is described in this post. I'm surprised you only got a two-hour sentence. Maybe that was on your alt account instead of your main?

The algorithm was designed with typical players / griefers in mind, so naturally it breaks down for minmaxers. You and pein aren't spending nearly enough time in Donkey Town. Not only should the sentence length be increased as your lifetime total increases, but the threshold should likewise be reduced. I'm pretty sure the intention behind the curse system was not "You are allowed to piss off just enough people to receive one curse per hour on average, in perpetuity."

It was my main account. I haven't spent my vast amount of time playing this game just to annoy people and tend to spend my time either working on whatever project the town could use or whatever gimmick I've decided on. There's a reason I've only been to donkey town once and it's because I don't normally put myself in position to be getting 8 curses in the first place. I'm not sitting around here thinking "I can piss off X amount of players today woo-boy" it's "good work wasting your curse defending a griefer. Enjoy being tokenless."  I knew as soon as everyone was forced to S1 it was either I give up on seeing how far I can go or take a trip out to donkey town. Obviously I made the right choice as we learned quite a bit about the apocalypse from yesterdays experiment and I certainly would do it all over again but maybe not solo.

My information on the whole first trip business comes from this https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 508fe6a536 I explicitly remembered it in the first place because I thought it was crud that a first time donkey would sneak out of there with a slap on the wrist.

fug it’s Tarr.

#23 2019-01-25 18:31:47

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

My information on the whole first trip business comes from this https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 508fe6a536 I explicitly remembered it in the first place because I thought it was crud that a first time donkey would sneak out of there with a slap on the wrist.

Yeah, I think Jason misspoke in the summary on that commit. He assumed that someone getting cursed a lot would necessarily get cursed enough to send them to Donkey Town early on. Whereas it's possible - though probably rare - to accumulate curses for a long time without ever passing the Donkey Town threshold, so that your "first time" comes when you're at a higher lifetime total and thus get a higher sentence.

#24 2019-01-26 06:41:17

Falsewall

Well done and nice documenting.  Hope you got some well deserved rest you psycho. wink

#25 2019-01-26 09:13:06

Léonard

CrazyEddie wrote:

This is an excellent idea.
I very recently had to deal with very serious griefing for the first time since I started playing.
What I mean by serious is people who actually know what they're doing in the game.
It turns out there was a snow biome right next to our village and this guy started building a snowman wall around.
I swear I'm not making this up, the guy had one side of snowmen base completed by the time someone took notice and he basically had the pen surrounded.
There was at least a hundred of them for real.

From this I'd like to point out that I find the whole snow thing extremely dumb and just flat out broken.
First off, you can kill with snow.
You would argue that only people who know what they're doing use snowballs to kill people but this is precisely the problem.
From all the time I've been playing, I have only personally seen people snowballing twice and they were both griefers.
And from what I can read on the forums the people from here who use this to kill people usually simply do it on disagreements.
This is also very bad. If you disagree with someone over what they're doing because it is inefficient or risk killing the town as side effect, the proper course of action is to actually educate those people rather than straight out killing them.
As an example, when I first learned not to kill the domestic mouflon in a pen someone simply said "that's dumb" and I asked why and then found out they actually still breed after the first lamb while being immune to shears which I never thought about. Boy am I glad the guy wasn't some psycho who killed people on a disagreements. That day I learned.
Also snowbanks are infinite. What?
Making snowmen base is so cheap, what kind of evil person would make those impossible to remove without spending a bunch of resources and time to complete it first and then wait for it to melt and take it appart?
It's almost as if they were designed for griefers (snowballs included).

Now to get back on topic, I have always avoided 1 on 1 fighting in this game due to the way I suspected it would go.
I mean you can only kill people by clicking on them and that only while they're standing still.
So as long as you're running you're invulnerable?
After some other old lady noticed this guy we both started trying to kill him and as I suspected this was an exercise in pure frustration.
Since he knew what he was doing, he simply started running and after that the other old lady flat out gave up completely and as for myself everything became a pointless chase.
Since you can only feed yourself while standing, the only time you stop is to feed yourself and your opponent tries to get lucky while you eat.
So yeah, basically this was literally impossible, the only choice left was to curse him except since he knew what he was doing he was shooting "crazy lady, I did nothing wrong" around the village while the chase took place.
Luckily everyone else knew better and simply didn't care.
I had no curse token at the time because another griefer 20 minutes before that flat out murdered my big sister in front of everyone and got 3 curses IIRC then promptly died of starvation.
To be honest, I am very thankful that fighting in this game is as such because I definitely don't want this to become another minecraft/rust.
This does mean however that curses are the only thing people can reliably rely on to deal with griefers which comes to my point.
This guy didn't even get cursed before I died of old age and I'm not even sure he received any curses after.
Now I think the curse token thing is a necessary evil, I have nothing against that.
But this still got me thinking about the curse system and I have reached the same conclusion.

My first thought was of the classical voting system implemented in the average game.
Votekicks are both efficient and quick but they only work in this type of games.
As in, the average game has small and often private servers where everyone pretty much knows what everyone else is doing due to small maps and global chats.
Here this is much more different and I really like the way curses try to remedy to this in a very elegant way.

However people can and will get away with griefing if they know what they're doing and limit their exposure.
One example comes to mind, I was out getting rubber which was a bit far from the village and this guy sneaked up on me, following me from afar.
I instantly noticed his knife in his backpack and found his sneaking up on me very suspicious but I was curious to see if he would actually stab me so I stood there not moving.
He said hi and then surely enough stabbed me.
Luckily I had enough time to run back to the village and tell people to curse him before dying and he got two curses before I died.
Sure he ended up starving but in the end he still griefed me and possibly got away with it.
Another one was someone who completely stole my backpack.
I went to get a bunch of rabbits to make myself a backpack and he promptly showed up and stole the needle and thread I made on the spot, so I went to fetch another one (making sure not to drop it this time) and made my backpack and he stole that too right in front of me and gave it to some other baby.
At this point I realized what was going on, he is definitely a griefer and if I tried to kill him I would risk getting cursed myself, so I did the smart thing right then and there and cursed him on the spot.
After that he stabbed me while claiming I griefed him but I think people knew better and one guy cursed him as well I think.
So he got two curses before I died and that was it.

This is why I reached the same conclusion, people can get away with griefing very, very easily if they know what they're doing.
Currently it takes 8 curses to send someone to donkey town which makes sense, you don't want griefers to gang up on people and send innocents to donkey town.
However lowering this threshold given the lifetime curses would solve the problem I described in my post while avoiding abuse, to quote the wiki, "Repeat offenders who keep bothering people as a way of life" will greatly be affected by this as that would mean it could just take 1 curse to deal with them effectively and that's it, job's done.
I will add however that this obviously would put people who have been playing for a long time at risk, as they may have accumulated unjustified curses over time (accidental or griefed).
To solve this, I propose the "lifetime" curse is simply made into another curse score except much, much slower.
Something that would decrease like say, two every month regardless of play time.
This way, people who have been playing since a long time aren't put at risk of getting abused by the curse system and this would also give a chance to the repeated offenders to improve themselves over time (let's not forget there's no incentive in improving yourself if the curse system is always going to pick on you anyways).
I also love how this would mean that the curse system would effectively scale by person, as in people who dedicate their entire time griefing others will eventually get to donkey town in one single curse but people who simply kill people they disagree with here and there would eventually get a much more lax threshold of say 4 for example.
This would definitely make curses a much more reliable way of dealing with griefers compared to simply killing them which I like too.
It would mean your curses have more value, if the guy is as much of an asshole as you think the curse will definitely count for him.
If people had more incentive to use the curse system like this over killing and this was implemented I guarantee you will see less and less of these "pro griefers" who know what they're doing.
Oh, also add cursing coop twins. This would greatly improve the curse system. I think it would be perfect if this is all done.

Board footer