One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 15:28:47

colinmarc

macOS packaging issues

- The app isn't signed - clicking on it gives an error about an unknown developer. You can work around this by right click -> open and then ignoring the warning.

- Clicking on the app itself immediately crashes. Starting OneLife.app/Contents/MacOS/OneLife in terminal works.

- (Minor) the text in the menu isn't high DPI on retina screens (and neither is it in the game itself, obviously).

#2 2018-02-28 18:36:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: macOS packaging issues

Glad you found that terminal work-around...

I wonder what's going on there, though.  At first start-up, did it say, "I can't find the game data folder" or something like that, and then walk you through finding it?

If it's crashing on startup, it sounds like it can't find its data due to sandboxing.

Try dragging the App out of its folder, dropping it somewhere, and then dragging it back in.

And what's the deal with the text?

Oh, I get it... it's being blown up HUGE on your screen....

Yeah, sadly, the game is native at 1280x720.

I had to pick a resolution and then scale to fit other screens.  All the art is hand-drawn and scanned in, so I can't make it at multiple resolutions.

The text is something that I will think about, however....  but it's really just the login screen, right?  I mean, the rest of the game text is hand-drawn (like the chat and tips).

Is it readable, at least?  Like, the window is filling most of your screen, but the text is blurry?

#3 2018-02-28 18:37:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

And did the auto-update work for you on Mac?

#4 2018-02-28 19:13:09

gerwitz
Website

Data point: the auto-update for me seemed to be in a loop of "restart to apply update".

On a hunch, I deselected the app in Finder, where column view was displaying it as a preview. I know this can sometimes cause locking issues.

This worked…opening the app without having it selected allowed the update to proceed.

#5 2018-02-28 19:37:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sheesh!

I think I'm going to implement some work-around for the auto-update on Mac....

Board footer