One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-06 19:44:17

BladeWoods

We did the Apocalypse!

The clip - https://clips.twitch.tv/ExpensiveHumbleWitchDendiFace

This was on ShyDies twitch stream, I believe the first people to do the new apocalypse.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-01-06 19:56:31)

#2 2019-01-06 20:01:35

Oblong

Re: We did the Apocalypse!

Ah yeah.
I wanted to join in but they weren't accepting new players so I ended up just having to witness it alone and away from their town.
It didn't really impress me much since I was in the wild and nothing changed because obviously, I was in the wild :U

I don’t talk in-game unless it’s dire.

#3 2019-01-06 20:17:05

CrazyEddie

Anyone know the server?

Anyone know how the town remained populated (or re-populated) for 24 hours without anyone who came there ever deciding to remove the tower?

#4 2019-01-06 20:23:59

BladeWoods

CrazyEddie, it was on server 14 so not too many random people came in. The streamer and trusted viewers kept town alive for 3 whole days cause the first tower was a miscalculated failure.

Was griefed multiple times but griefer(s) couldn't take the tower down.

The tower was kept in a locked room to prevent anyone from getting in, key was hidden when not on the streamer, and the town was surrounded by walls with one way gates so no outsiders could get in.

#5 2019-01-06 20:31:35

CrazyEddie

Congratulations to all involved!

#6 2019-01-06 20:59:10

karltown_veteran

Nice!

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#7 2019-01-07 00:30:23

Monolith_Rans

pretty lame.  I had a car, you bleepn' bleeps.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#8 2019-01-07 01:07:25

Tane

Awesome.
Finally! Someone did it!

#9 2019-01-07 01:38:11

Gederian

One of the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a video game and I "lived" through the first apocalypse where a horse with a crown tied to a stop light ended the world.

It makes absolutely no sense and serves no purpose.

How do you go from trying to be technically correct about crafting an engine to this.

Please make it stop and give us actual content like we were promised.

#10 2019-01-07 02:10:09

Tigerlily

That explains the flurry of activity on server 14!
Can't say I enjoyed the loss of my village... but I'm glad its sacrifice brought you a sense of joy and achievement!
You know, the apocalypse is probably easier to bring about in a private server....for your future attempts maybe you could consider that?

#11 2019-01-07 03:25:54

Monolith_Rans

The problem with having "the button" in a game like this is that people will press it over and over again and it will give them glee and satisfaction and they'll boast about what they have done.  They're not likely to learn anything about themselves from it because the people who would do this argue that it's just a game.  They don't care to do what the game waS designed for which is to extrapolate higher truths about society and cooperation.  They don't have to pay a real price, so they don't have to have empathy for others.  Those who participate in the apocalypse should live in donkey town permanently.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#12 2019-01-07 03:48:49

CrazyEddie

The next step is for an organized gang to do this on a populated server.

It will still require the kind of dedicated 24/7 group effort that this one had, but like this one should be unstoppable if they take the appropriate precautions.

This shows, I believe, that the Apocalypse still isn't matching Jason's intentions. It is impossible to do without a dedicated group coordinating out-of-game. And if there is such a group, it is impossible to prevent. Jason's vision of different groups of people organizing in-game and struggling against each other to cause or stop it just isn't going to happen with the mechanics as they are now.

#13 2019-01-07 11:32:33

Tane

Gederian wrote:

One of the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a video game and I "lived" through the first apocalypse where a horse with a crown tied to a stop light ended the world.

It makes absolutely no sense and serves no purpose.

How do you go from trying to be technically correct about crafting an engine to this.

Please make it stop and give us actual content like we were promised.

Dude, we got 4 different kinds of domestic animals (5 if you count dogs), hundreds of recipes and even carts to cars in a single year. Your getting the content. Plus, remember, they had to do this on server 14 and build an entire town specifically for this and STILL almost got griefed.
This isn't going to be happening very often, and certainly not much on the main 3 servers.

#14 2019-01-07 17:08:57

Erudaru

Why does anyone care, with the new Eve spawning, towns can't live longer than a few days anyway.

The Apocalypse is lame and makes no sense, but I'm glad for the people who had fun doing it.

#15 2019-01-07 17:24:29

MultiLife

Erudaru wrote:

Why does anyone care, with the new Eve spawning, towns can't live longer than a few days anyway.

The Apocalypse is lame and makes no sense, but I'm glad for the people who had fun doing it.

I guess the struggle of making it happen made it feel like an accomplishment. Good for them but I saw everything in Jason's gif. big_smile Nothing unexpected: as underwhelming as ever (the Apocalypse, not their team effort, not trying to sound like an ass hahah).

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-07 17:30:00)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#16 2019-01-07 19:03:12

lionon

CrazyEddie wrote:

This shows, I believe, that the Apocalypse still isn't matching Jason's intentions. It is impossible to do without a dedicated group coordinating out-of-game. And if there is such a group, it is impossible to prevent.

This sums it up so nicely.

Also if it worked as intended, I doubt yet another variant of online pvp "catch the flag" / "hold the base" would be really all that great..

Last edited by lionon (2019-01-07 19:03:58)

#17 2019-01-07 19:16:11

BladeWoods

I don't think there's any way we could do it on a populated server. We were reliant on lineage bans not being a thing thanks to the low population. We couldn't repeatedly be born to the same town on any high pop server.

We would need more people to cycle on and off or get second accounts to circumvent the lineage ban.

#18 2019-01-07 20:03:59

Gederian

Tane wrote:

Dude, we got 4 different kinds of domestic animals (5 if you count dogs), hundreds of recipes and even carts to cars in a single year. Your getting the content. Plus, remember, they had to do this on server 14 and build an entire town specifically for this and STILL almost got griefed.
This isn't going to be happening very often, and certainly not much on the main 3 servers.

Dogs are useless and a nuisance. I don't care about different foods. I want tram cars that lead to robots with guns like the trailer. He only committed to two years and at this pace I don't see all that happening this year.

Apocalypses are a complete sidestep from the factual crafting feel of the game and completely break the feeling. Plus they do nothing to advance the tech tree and actually spit in its face with magic.

If we just had weekly content updates that advanced the tech tree the game would stay interesting.

#19 2019-01-07 22:37:13

BlueDiamondAvatar

CrazyEddie wrote:

This shows, I believe, that the Apocalypse still isn't matching Jason's intentions. It is impossible to do without a dedicated group coordinating out-of-game.

My primary take away from the Apocalypse video is..  I'd enjoy playing with a dedicated group coordinating out-of-game.  But with a more positive central goal. 

Maybe we need something like how the National Geographic society was back in they day..  a guild of people pooling their maps to better understand the world.  That way we'd be ready to act if an apocalypse warning went out.  And if no one creates an apocalypse, it would still be useful for figuring out how to connect up the cities.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#20 2019-01-07 22:46:02

betame

lionon wrote:

Also if it worked as intended, I doubt yet another variant of online pvp "catch the flag" / "hold the base" would be really all that great..

I think similarly.

If this is how the game retains its cyclic nature after the game-development period ends, it'll turn the entire game into the world's worst rendition of "hold the base" while being advertised with the face of a (a the original, 1,000 ft view, parenting and) civilization building game.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#21 2019-01-08 07:44:39

Tane

Gederian wrote:

If we just had weekly content updates that advanced the tech tree the game would stay interesting.

Jason DID do that for awhile, then people complained they were being completed too fast.

#22 2019-01-08 08:02:40

Go! Bwah!

Tane wrote:

Jason DID do that for awhile, then people complained they were being completed too fast.

I don't think this game has a good hook (yet).  You're supposed to get hooked by the spontaneous story, but the ratio of "good story" to "learning curve" and "grind" just isn't high enough.  I feel if there were more... minigames, basically... the stepth of the learning curve wouldn't matter so much.  But most minigames in OHOL are like "do these hundred steps first, but oops you died on step forty, maybe you'll get reincarnated into a village that's already done the hundred steps for you" so people just give up.

Off topic, I know.

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2019-01-08 08:03:29)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#23 2019-01-08 12:54:37

MultiLife

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Tane wrote:

I don't think this game has a good hook (yet).  You're supposed to get hooked by the spontaneous story, but the ratio of "good story" to "learning curve" and "grind" just isn't high enough.  I feel if there were more... minigames, basically... the stepth of the learning curve wouldn't matter so much.  But most minigames in OHOL are like "do these hundred steps first, but oops you died on step forty, maybe you'll get reincarnated into a village that's already done the hundred steps for you" so people just give up.

Off topic, I know.

I agree. Spontaneous stories aren't even all that spontaneous even with all this RNG. The story of survival in OHOL is always the same; there's always a berry farm to take care of, always water to pump, always need for iron, always someone to teach basics to (usually just illogical stuff and effeciency tricks need to be taught), always a double adobe kiln smithy, always a clay oven bakery...
There is always the same core to expect and fill in, same needs for populations.
Sometimes the survival flows smoother (good life) and sometimes everything is effed up (bad life). Small sprinkles of interactions colour the lives a bit but those merely add salt to a steak, not make it a cake to satisfy other needs. The sheer pressure of survival creates a thin path to success which forces us to play effeciently which in turn makes lives blander in the end, with less variation. If the road to success was wider, there would be more pathways to it, and more colours colouring the stories.

The common life stories now are basically "so there was this village that needed sheep so I made a pen and got them sheep. A guy said thanks."

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-08 12:55:36)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#24 2019-01-08 18:11:16

Gederian

Tane wrote:
Gederian wrote:

He has never had consistent content updates. I can think of two large updates: Farming and Cars. Others were very small, bug fixes, and tweaking game dynamics (water updates, curses, 2 apocalypses, etc) to make completing the tree harder instead of just making the tree bigger.

If he had weekly content release on the scale of farming and cars this game would be epic in a few months. He can then spend the last few months of game development tweaking what results from those massive content updates.

Remember, all my criticism is constructive. I love this game.

#25 2019-01-08 18:48:47

Erudaru

Tane wrote:
Gederian wrote:

Uhmm... I only remember Jason complaining about that. Sure, people always wanted more content, but the response was like "You guys are too fast, instead I'll destroy all you built so you will be busy rebuilding." It's a fail in my opinion and borders with malice (sorry for sounding like a resentful snowflake, I do still love the game and respect what Jason is trying to do.)

Please, can someone explain what there is to like about the Apocalypse?

Board footer