One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-04 12:03:11

Nimue

Wanderers, Heremetys, Nomads, Lone Wolfs

Who doesnt love sometimes just go out and explore? live in the wild having only to work for yourslef, finding a new village, just hunting some animals, ya know? a lone wolf life.

Well i really like to do it, but i see somethings that in my opnion could improve this experience.

one thing that could improve is more piece of clothing withoud the need of needle(or other ways to make needle). Now we can only wear mouflon and seal hides, make skirts, and put put a freaking raw turkey in head. In my opnion wolf pelt should not require needle to make, and also why not make a nice jacket from bear belt? maybe a skirt from bison?

other thing that can improve is the need of knife to cut some sorts of meat and some other unavaible as wolf and bear, man you telling me if im a wild boy and hungry as hell and shot a mouflon, build myself a fire a cant freaking eat that and will starve? i would eat it raaaaw.   you know... can have alternatives with disvantajes, you get less resources and stuff like that.

In a general way what im saying i think the game has only one formula to win, if you dont settle up build kiln try to make iron tools, plant everycrap, tame sheep make compost, you end up not being able to build anything, and as u see im not asking for much, simple stuff.

My last wild boy left home in early age with just a bag, went far away and build me a bow, tree arrows, and started hunting some animals, killed lot of wolfs and at somepoint decided to make a wolf hat, i was about twenty at the time.... 25 years later i had my hat... now a 45 years old man with bowdrill, snare, hachet. and needle and thread... because i wanted to put a wolf in my head... and later killed a bear, worthless, cant eat or do nothing with it except a rug, damn i wanna eat every meat.

i know its hard, in one hand people wants technology and stuff and jason can just do so much at a time, but my feeling is that now we got cars and railroads but the primitive stuff could well be improven since will be always part of the game, what is your guys opnions? ya feel me?

Last edited by Nimue (2019-01-04 12:08:23)

#2 2019-01-04 14:03:40

ruanna

Re: Wanderers, Heremetys, Nomads, Lone Wolfs

Some ideas -

one rope and six turkey feathers - feathered headdress.

bear skin becomes a bear skin hat and cape, takes both slots.

one thread and one reed/straw becomes a straw sandal.

two leaves combined becomes a leafy covering. becomes a dried leafy covering in an hour, and decays in another hour. Almost no heat benefit, but covers your bits.

#3 2019-01-04 14:36:20

BlueDiamondAvatar

While I don't often choose to be a lone wolf, I often end up as one.  I'm damn good at foraging, and can usually survive even as everyone else in my village dies off.  So I'll head out and try to find another village (especially now we have seen the distribution).  I found two the last time I did this, but both were empty. 

I definitely agree with your suggestions.  More non-needle clothes would also be great for eve camps where everyone is running around freezing with baskets, adobe, and soil, but struggling to prioritize finding and cooking the rabbit for a needle. 

Do you know about the suggestions subreddit?  Jason seems to respond best to ideas posted there - the more specific the better.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-01-04 16:46:11

lionon

Nimue wrote:

In a general way what im saying i think the game has only one formula to win, if you dont settle up build kiln try to make iron tools, plant everycrap, tame sheep make compost, you end up not being able to build anything, and as u see im not asking for much, simple stuff.

Well I agree on that, which is something that IMO should be developed on. But not so much for the wanderer, but for more ways to run a village. You're right pretty much there is currently only one way and everything else is just decoration on that.

The game being about "civilization building and parenting", don't expect to get much love for the maverik tough. Being a wandering hermit is actually already extremely easy as you can munch up on wild food on the go basically for ever as long you keep moving. Occasionally having to make a fire for example to make a needle, I don't see an issue with. However, wandering for a whole life going in one direction... it's a pretty boring game this way, for me at least.

EDIT: PS, you do not want clothes, more than the seal hide, as they become a death trap with mosquitoes, and when being a wanderer at least I occasionally run into them sooner or later.... which isn't a big issue as long you don't have more than a minimum of clothes.

Last edited by lionon (2019-01-04 16:48:15)

#5 2019-01-04 16:57:35

Jadelink

Agreed, being able to butcher meat with a non metal tool, and to actually be able to eat seals and penguins (as well as bears for that matter) would be a nice feature.

#6 2019-01-04 17:02:06

Grim_Arbiter

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

While I don't often choose to be a lone wolf, I often end up as one.  I'm damn good at foraging, and can usually survive even as everyone else in my village dies off.  So I'll head out and try to find another village (especially now we have seen the distribution).  I found two the last time I did this, but both were empty.

Yeah you can survive and travel thousands of tiles with just a sharp rock in a basket if you judge the terrain and try not to travel through thick jungle and go around it.

I've been trying to experiment with this more so i can write a proper post, but my communities haven't been dying out until like 10 or even 20 gens after me lately so I've been busy in those lives.. Which is a good thing, and I have been teaching a lot.

Using that info of 500 tiles each diagonal direction from your town or eve spawn should net some results. If you run into anyone tell them Jason saw that they were struggling and sent you to help out haha. Before that info I had a system of searching that probably netted me half the results of the current and I would still occasionally run into alot of old ruins or even an eve just starting and help for like ten minutes and then move on to searching. At that time I was looking for bell towns before I knew how almost impossible of a feat it is.. But I was still able to find one abandoned one after traveling at least 3k one life. I rang it and doubt anyone came to it but it was still a cool accomplishment.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-01-04 20:57:35

Nimue

yeah lionon i know, it isnt about starving or else, it is about enjoying the experience. i agree with a sharp stone you will never be hungry but you will keep eating berries, bananas, onion, burlock, and wild carrots, belive i know its a huge improvement, when i started playing all we had was berries and carrots.

And aint so simple as far as clothing, to make a wolf hat takes total of 4 milkweed for bow, 4 milkweed for hatchet, 4 milkweed for bowdrill, 4 milkweed for snare, 2 milkweed for arrow, and 2 milkweed for thread, thats freaking 20 milkweed to make a wolf hat...and if the player dont have a bag turns insane to do it. but i hear ya, you understood my point.

thank you all for the feedback, one other thing that i did today as a wild boy was making a huge road conecting two iron veins, hehe its nice and easy

bluediamond havent heard of subreddit... whats that? and Ruana those things would be sweet!

#8 2019-01-04 21:11:58

BlueDiamondAvatar

It's a webpage, a subset of the posts on the One Hour One Life reddit page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions

And yes - road building.  It's a great way to get out of dodge, but still have a fast road back to civilization if you need (for example...) a needle.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#9 2019-01-04 21:50:15

Grim_Arbiter

Nimue wrote:

And aint so simple as far as clothing, to make a wolf hat takes total of 4 milkweed for bow, 4 milkweed for hatchet, 4 milkweed for bowdrill, 4 milkweed for snare, 2 milkweed for arrow, and 2 milkweed for thread, thats freaking 20 milkweed to make a wolf hat

When the world gives you 20 milkweed.. Its a nice feeling lol

20181205131151-1.jpg

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2019-01-04 22:07:26

CrazyEddie

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Yeah you can survive and travel thousands of tiles with just a sharp rock in a basket if you judge the terrain and try not to travel through thick jungle and go around it.

Yep. Or even without the basket. Or even without the sharp rock if you're very alert.

#11 2019-01-04 22:42:48

CrazyEddie

lionon wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Well I agree on that, which is something that IMO should be developed on. But not so much for the wanderer, but for more ways to run a village. You're right pretty much there is currently only one way and everything else is just decoration on that.

The game being about "civilization building and parenting", don't expect to get much love for the maverik tough. Being a wandering hermit is actually already extremely easy as you can munch up on wild food on the go basically for ever as long you keep moving. Occasionally having to make a fire for example to make a needle, I don't see an issue with. However, wandering for a whole life going in one direction... it's a pretty boring game this way, for me at least.

I'd like to see more possibilities for nomadic tribes (which would also bolster the lone nomads). "More ways to run a village" could include "a village that isn't tied down to one spot". It would be great to have a decent technology stack with some interesting and useful and fun items that can be crafted without requiring more than, say, a third of a lifetime camped in a single location.

#12 2019-01-04 23:03:47

Nimue

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Nimue wrote:

And aint so simple as far as clothing, to make a wolf hat takes total of 4 milkweed for bow, 4 milkweed for hatchet, 4 milkweed for bowdrill, 4 milkweed for snare, 2 milkweed for arrow, and 2 milkweed for thread, thats freaking 20 milkweed to make a wolf hat

When the world gives you 20 milkweed.. Its a nice feeling lol

https://i.ibb.co/vxv8kqQ/20181205131151-1.jpg

great image that shows how insane it is to make a hat, also i could only count 19 lol

Board footer