One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-02 18:50:42

karltown_veteran

Anyone started the apocalypse yet?

Just curious

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#2 2019-01-02 22:46:19

Miyu

Re: Anyone started the apocalypse yet?

I saw someone get one Endblock completed in my life as Ellen II today, so I tried to get rid of it so the world wouldn't end.
Turns out some folks in my village didn't like that very much, and killed me while I tried to hide the Endstone so they couldn't find it. Died before I could actually hide it. The apocalypse was nowhere near being ready since they only had one completed block, but I still wanted to make sure they couldn't get too far.

So yeah, anyone who gets born as a distant relative of Eve Luna in that town may want to dispose of that Endstone.

You can find me playing as "Eve Wooliver" when possible, in honour of my favorite family line.

Noteable lives: (Female) Melody Wooliver, Ashley Gayheart || (Male) Ellen II (Luna)

#3 2019-01-02 22:49:56

lionon

If you have the time you can also "destroy" it, by putting 8 bell tower bases around it. Or less you use some other indestructible blocks like bear caves, ponds, or so.

#4 2019-01-03 00:03:06

Vexenie

Miyu wrote:

I saw someone get one Endblock completed in my life as Ellen II today, so I tried to get rid of it so the world wouldn't end.
Turns out some folks in my village didn't like that very much, and killed me while I tried to hide the Endstone so they couldn't find it. Died before I could actually hide it. The apocalypse was nowhere near being ready since they only had one completed block, but I still wanted to make sure they couldn't get too far.

So yeah, anyone who gets born as a distant relative of Eve Luna in that town may want to dispose of that Endstone.

FOR FUCKS SAKE JUST LET PEOPLE BUILD THEIR TOWER YOU FUCKING DEGENERATE!

THE TOWER IS !SUPPOSED! TO BE BUILT FOR DESTRUCTION, SO OTHERS WHO WANT TO START THEIR !OWN FAMILY! CAN HAVE A CHANGE!

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#5 2019-01-03 00:24:11

Miyu

Vexenie wrote:
Miyu wrote:

THE TOWER IS !SUPPOSED! TO BE BUILT FOR DESTRUCTION, SO OTHERS WHO WANT TO START THEIR !OWN FAMILY! CAN HAVE A CHANGE!

Sorry for upsetting you, I just personally don't like apocalypses too much. It is just my silly opinion though. Though if you like them, that's alright!

You can find me playing as "Eve Wooliver" when possible, in honour of my favorite family line.

Noteable lives: (Female) Melody Wooliver, Ashley Gayheart || (Male) Ellen II (Luna)

#6 2019-01-03 03:01:28

Monolith_Rans

Vexenie wrote:

The apocalypse was designed for this exact type of person.  All caps, screaming profanity, name calling, and acting like they're a victim.  You can start your own family as an eve, just name yourself.  There is no change. The map goes to 0% change.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#7 2019-01-03 13:41:37

Tarr
Banned

The Apocalypse is basically impossible to trigger due to all sorts of different reasons.

Too long: Basically unless you build the first piece in your eve camp your lineage won't last long enough for the thing to go off in the first place. Revisiting a town is possible but it's less likely to still exist in a nondestroyed/griefed state.

Too easy to disrupt: There's no consequence for ripping off a piece of the tower. Honestly I think the tower should inflict a fatal wound to anyone who removes a piece of the tower. Basically the tower can be completely destroyed within SECONDS even at it's final stage before the knife plunge and will require six more hours undisturbed or another 24 if all the pieces are pulled off. At least if a person died removing a piece it would fit in the whole sacrifice theme related to the current style of apocalypse.

Requires too much cooperation: Not even talking about the stabbing part, just the fact that everyone who is born in your village must agree that the apocalypse should be triggered. Otherwise one person has the ability to set back the apocalypse to square one or further should they start hiding the end stones.

The only way to actually trigger the apocalypse is to do it on a low pop server or have a generation-esque run with the discord where people work together for 24 hours to keep the lineage running without allowing a single outsider in AND having the group not get infiltrated to grief the thing.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-01-03 14:03:50

Monolith_Rans

Tarr wrote:

The Apocalypse is basically impossible to trigger due to all sorts of different reasons.

So is Jason just wanting to see how we would all behave with a possible doomsday looming over our heads?  He doesn't like that players are listless in big cities, but I feel like that's a creative opportunity rather than a problem needing a solution on his side.  People are building fewer cars, bell towers and other higher tech already because why?  And so are we to come to the conclusion that we should just get this over with to satisfy him and then we can move on with our OneLives?  I doubt it, this is the second round of apocalypse, and he's already shown that he's willing to use magic to allow us to bring about our own end.  what is his deal?

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#9 2019-01-03 14:05:55

lowdt

yea whats the apocalypse for anyway... everything seems to decay but plates and bowls... cities die in the time of 5 hours ... the map is basically infinite and got wiped in every biome update so far sad) its just eehmm useless feature? its eve campos everywhere with nobody willing to make progress.. most people bought the game to eat berrys "dongdongodng"

#10 2019-01-03 16:00:45

hmrka

btw Has anyone heard the apocalypse tower sound? Some people said it makes one.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#11 2019-01-03 16:44:11

CrazyEddie

[ General gripe ] I can count on one hand the number of people who understand and appreciate what Jason is trying to do with the Apocalypse.

Anyway:

Tarr wrote:

Excellent analysis. Hopefully Jason will figure out something workable and worthwhile eventually.

Honestly I think the tower should inflict a fatal wound to anyone who removes a piece of the tower. At least if a person died removing a piece it would fit in the whole sacrifice theme related to the current style of apocalypse.

This absolutely should be true. I like the aesthetics of the current Apocalypse, but those aesthetics demand that ending the Apocalypse requires the same kind of sacrifice that starting it did.

#12 2019-01-03 17:48:03

JonySky
Website

Honestly I do not see it right to make a wipe in a game like this, where people connect for 1 hour to create a lineage that lasts as long as possible ...

I am not a fortune-teller ... but if the apocalypse is activated, the people will not try to create a new city ... the most probable is that they will end up committing suicide ...

You only need to look at the suicidal babies ... look at the behavior of the players as soon as they are born ...
They look at the city and if they do not like what they see, they commit suicide or run away ... it does not matter if they are the last girl in town ...

If we want to avoid the rapid development of cities, we have to create collaborative works, large infrastructures where several people are required ... Challenges and disasters have to be created to rebuild the city ... the process of caring for the babies

I know it is difficult to activate the apocalypse, but if something has taught me the gamer community in general is that if people want to do it ... it will be done ... and it will be done quickly.

Apart from this ... the psychological weight of thinking that everything you build will not be of any use because someone at the other end of the server has set out to prove the apocalypse ... leads people to play discouraged and thinking that no matter what they build, maybe after creating anything ... everything disappears

this update has discouraged me quite, sincerely

Last edited by JonySky (2019-01-03 18:17:02)

#13 2019-01-03 19:05:10

Kinrany

This absolutely should be true. I like the aesthetics of the current Apocalypse, but those aesthetics demand that ending the Apocalypse requires the same kind of sacrifice that starting it did.

You could interpret it as a single dude with a Molotov rushing in in the middle of a ritual and killing everyone inside including the half-formed abomination.

#14 2019-01-03 19:45:24

Gederian

CrazyEddie wrote:

[ General gripe ] I can count on one hand the number of people who understand and appreciate what Jason is trying to do with the Apocalypse.

Anyway:

Tarr wrote:

Excellent analysis. Hopefully Jason will figure out something workable and worthwhile eventually.

Honestly I think the tower should inflict a fatal wound to anyone who removes a piece of the tower. At least if a person died removing a piece it would fit in the whole sacrifice theme related to the current style of apocalypse.

The fact we're talking about a magical apocalypse (again) is just shocking.

The discussion should be about how the latest update got us closer to robots with lasers as seen in the trailer.

#15 2019-01-03 21:46:52

BlueDiamondAvatar

Gederian wrote:

The fact we're talking about a magical apocalypse (again) is just shocking.

The discussion should be about how the latest update got us closer to robots with lasers as seen in the trailer.

Yes. I agree.  Can't wait to see what comes out tonight or tomorrow, cause at least we'll have something else to talk about, than this most recent - and horrifically bad - update. 

But we don't get any spoilers!  Another problem with a one-man dev team...  no one on the team leaks!!!

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#16 2019-01-03 21:48:53

Glassius

CrazyEddie wrote:

So what is he trying to do? I suppose he want settlements to fight over the monument, but I am curious about your opinion

#17 2019-01-04 02:55:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the idea that removing the endstone would require a bloody knife too.... that's a good idea!

#18 2019-01-04 12:15:17

CrazyEddie

I like Tarr's idea, that removing a block or a stone would kill the person doing it. Just requiring a bloody knife means you could kill someone else to disrupt the ritual. It seems more appropriate that saving the world would require heroically sacrificing yourself.

Maybe doing it inflicts a non-healable wound, so that you have a minute or so before you die to bask in everyone's appreciation and admiration for your noble sacrifice.

#19 2019-01-04 12:55:21

Solbusaur

hmrka wrote:

Go into the sound files. I assume it makes the sound #1637. Basically a low pitched bell followed by a higher pitched bell. I don't know if that's the sound it makes in between stages, or if it happens when it's done. I imagine the former, since Jason did mention there were worldwide warnings for the monument.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#20 2019-01-04 15:44:08

Lotus

I heard the ding.

It sounds like chimes. Really quiet. Two little bings.
Maybe it wasn't the apocalypse, but nothing else makes that sound in game.

Edit: I heard it again...

Last edited by Lotus (2019-01-04 16:14:50)

#21 2019-01-04 17:02:54

hmrka

Solbusaur wrote:
hmrka wrote:

Go into the sound files. I assume it makes the sound #1637. Basically a low pitched bell followed by a higher pitched bell. I don't know if that's the sound it makes in between stages, or if it happens when it's done. I imagine the former, since Jason did mention there were worldwide warnings for the monument.

Thank you!

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#22 2019-01-04 18:57:58

Averest

Quick question: Will the Bell Tower page containing all the coordinates and names be reset if the Apocalypse is activated on a particular server?

Board footer