One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-27 00:15:54

Greep

One City Server

/status

Just started the discord here: https://discord.gg/7QVTABk

Basic idea is going to be everyone spawns in the same spot (babies, eves, etc) on a server I made on Linode.  The current spot is in a highly mixed zone, although no jungle.

Knock yourselves out.  Server: 23.239.21.125

Edit: the OP here keeps getting out of date info.  Just join the discord already.

Last edited by Greep (2019-02-24 21:51:37)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#2 2018-12-27 03:55:38

GreatShawn

Re: One City Server

How do you join it?

#3 2018-12-27 04:25:16

Greep

Just go into settings when you log in, replace localhost with the IP above (use the paste button in game, will later change this to a proper hostename), and check "use custom server".  Then whenever you wanna play on the normal servers just uncheck that custom server box.

If there's an issue connecting, let me know, it's untested for other people, but it should work:  I can get in from my laptop connecting to the server myself.  It also seems like some people have done stuff while I'm offline, though hard to tell.

Edit: looks like we got a 3 people on big_smile  Babies get teleported to their mom from origin unfortunately, so that'll have to be fixed.  Although I think you need 3-4 people on at once which isn't common at least.

Anyways, got a proper road, stew, iron mine, lookin great.  I'll get the server back up in the morning if it goes down overnight, should have the town saved, though.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-27 09:17:49)

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#4 2018-12-27 16:03:47

Gabby

Interesting, I will take a look when I have some time!

Be nice to the mouflon

#5 2018-12-27 19:33:15

Kinrany

Hmm, wouldn't it be enough to just set the Eve spawn location to (0, 0)?

All other towns will eventually die out anyway, so changing baby spawn system too seems unnecessarily restrictive.

You could also move the spawn point slowly over time.

#6 2018-12-27 20:01:11

Greep

Maybe.  It depends on how many people play on the server and how many want to make a suburb I guess.  Then again, I think it'd be weird if a lot of people wanted to make a subcity, since you can always use practice server if you want a small town to yourself.

#7 2018-12-27 20:54:57

Monolith_Rans

I always wanted to be able to fill up the map with a giant civilization, and I was disappointed when I found out that Jason didn’t want that.  This sounds cool

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#8 2018-12-27 22:30:29

lionon

Nice idea. Please add a transistion for "newcomen base + pickaxe = pickaxe" so we can destroy that stupid no-pen someone did.

Might also make sense a time lapse (-1) transition for collapsed mine + 48h = mine shaft?

#9 2018-12-27 22:51:48

Gabby

lionon wrote:

Nice idea. Please add a transistion for "newcomen base + pickaxe = pickaxe" so we can destroy that stupid no-pen someone did.

Might also make sense a time lapse (-1) transition for collapsed mine + 48h = mine shaft?

Ah yes. I had to go and make another chisel because someone locked it in there. I don't know why they would do that. Such a stupid way to grief, by locking a chisel away.

Good idea on the mine too. A permanent city means resources that are not renewable are going to be a huge issue.

Be nice to the mouflon

#10 2018-12-28 01:47:04

Greep

Roads seem like they're going to be important.  Specifically non-branching roads.  Just one large road straight north and south I'm thinking, as it currently is.  This way you just get more roads by getting flat rocks from the east and west of the road:  since these will generally be the only roads you will then be able to expect to have flat rocks within a certain distance.  Also keeps it simple just having a straight road as mapping is gonig to be nuts.  I guess if someone wants to make a suburb they can do a east/west branch.

Probably going to be a few days before I do any code changes since we got a working version thats fun, but yeah that force field pen is probably not ideal xD  I was there when that was built, the person who made it rather quickly finished a working version, though, after realizing the mistake.  Wasn't griefing, just their first time building a pen and I was out doing stuff.

Edit: as for the mines, hard to say, if we keep building roads, we'll last quite a long time I'm thinking.  I can always add that if it looks like we'll get low, although we are lucky that the somewhat random spot I chose had like 3 veins o.o

Edit: might be down for tonight as I figure this out.  Things worked fine on the vm, but getting bad socket bind on the linode server hmm
Alright, fixed that issue, but still getting a version mismatch on the linode server.  Hmmm... Probably will be up soon.

Okay, merges worked. Most of the town constructions are gone, so I'm going to see if I can fix that before getting the server online again.  It might just be gone permanently because I had to stop the server using kill since I wasn't sure how to stop it gracefully as a background process.  Not sure yet.  Server's up if you guys want to play, but I'm probably going to have to get on discord to figure out what happened with the town. 

Let me know if you know what's up when you update the practice server lionon big_smile

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-28 04:17:45)

#11 2018-12-28 04:51:24

Milke

Gabby wrote:
lionon wrote:

Ah yes. I had to go and make another chisel because someone locked it in there. I don't know why they would do that. Such a stupid way to grief, by locking a chisel away.

Good idea on the mine too. A permanent city means resources that are not renewable are going to be a huge issue.

Oops...

This wasn’t an intentional grief although I admit I was lacking in experience when I first attempted to build the pen. In light of that messup though I did make most of the other tools myself! It was also my own cart which I locked in there sad rip

I got off yesterday and haven’t been on since - will be neat to see what the place looks like in a few days, and hopefully a method to remove my ugly newcomen prison comes about by then.

Last edited by Milke (2018-12-28 04:52:41)

#12 2018-12-28 05:04:00

Greep

Heh, it probably had a miniapocalypse, which technically is a way to remove it.  Whoops!  Glad I started this right before an update so we didn't lose a week of progress.  It's possible we might be able to recover it, but I doubt it.  Asking around discord to get some help debugging it.  In any case I'm going to look into making sure chunks never get reset due to inactivity.  That might be what happened in some buggy way, and there's really no reason to ever reset any of the map for this server.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-28 05:09:33)

#13 2018-12-28 05:59:22

lionon

Greep wrote:

Okay, merges worked. Most of the town constructions are gone, so I'm going to see if I can fix that before getting the server online again.  It might just be gone permanently because I had to stop the server using kill since I wasn't sure how to stop it gracefully as a background process.  Not sure yet.

I recommend using "screen" (or tmux) to run the server, there you can always get the console of a running process. You start in foreground within screen/tmux and this one handles the process backgrounding.

I didn't yet look on the code how Jason made the Ctrl+z thingy, I suppose he catches the SIGTSTP a. k. a stop signal? In that case you could also send SIGTSTP via kill.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-28 06:00:18)

#14 2018-12-28 06:12:11

Greep

Yeah I'll try it with screen next time I get it running for real.  Though I'm not sure that's the issue unfortunately, as I tried killing on my TestVM and it saved it.  Maybe it gives unpredictable results if you kill it, or maybe it was something wrong in the merge.  I'm looking through map.cpp in any case until I get an answer on discord.

Have you tried merging the new update into your practice server yet?  Curious if you run into the same issue.

In any case, assuming I don't get this resolved soon, I'm thinking we'll start again at a different spot tomorrow morning?  A week until the next update is still pretty good for a town length before it gets wiped, so I think I'll continue this experiment even if I don't resolve the issue by tomorrow.  We could also play the town in the same location, but it's kinda weird with the town being semi-there still and mostly reset, so I'm going to move "origin" to a new spot soon.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-28 06:39:28)

#15 2018-12-28 06:42:49

lionon

Just updated the practice server, no issues I found. My patch just didn't apply cleanly as Jason changed some code in the same lines this time.

Yes, as far as I see the database for OHOL-server is not "hot", I guess the server will only write it when it unloads a chunk, thus when you kill it ungracefully, you lose the chunks that were only in memory at that time.

PS: Maybe choose a warmer spot, that city was way cold...
I also saw Babies teleporting, I guess this may get an issue for the client when the mother is on another map chunk. Did you override just the eve spawn location or the spawn location for every new connection?

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-28 06:45:27)

#16 2018-12-28 06:49:12

Greep

Yeah the baby teleporting I'm getting rid of.  I was originally going to have all people, babies and eves spawn at the origin, and the baby part was buggy.  However, rather than fix the bug, I'm just only setting eves to origin now.  I was originally worried people might start subtowns far off which might dilute the town too much, but literally nobody did lol.

As for choosing the town location, yeah I just picked the first viable spot (had any water and grassland).  If people like, I will choose a "good" spot for the next town.

Anyways, I'll probably have the code changes and next town location up and started in 2 or 3 hours if anyone's wondering, will post when it's up or if I just went to bed.

Edit: Also going to introduce a tiny bit of randomness to the Eve spawn location just to make it harder to kill off the whole server via griefing.  A permanent town is insanely easy to grief, but may as well make it a bit hard than just placing 4 bell tower bases xD

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-28 07:20:56)

#17 2018-12-28 08:18:08

Greep

Alright, new spot:  Desert by grassland swamp.

-removed baby teleport (hopefully)
-Now start randomly within -10 to 10 x and y.
-used screen

This spot is disturbingly good.  Only issue is lack of baskets, so I'm getting a big wheat farm up for yall, might want to make some bread to get rid of the flour.  Iron vein right south too, cant miss it.

Edit: Wow... It has a lot of rabbits xD

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-28 12:54:15)

#18 2018-12-28 14:06:04

Gabby

Milke wrote:
Gabby wrote:
lionon wrote:

Oops...

This wasn’t an intentional grief although I admit I was lacking in experience when I first attempted to build the pen. In light of that messup though I did make most of the other tools myself! It was also my own cart which I locked in there sad rip

I got off yesterday and haven’t been on since - will be neat to see what the place looks like in a few days, and hopefully a method to remove my ugly newcomen prison comes about by then.

I'm sorry for thinking it was griefing. When I logged in the cart had most likely already despawned, because there was only a chisel in there, so I thought it was intentional because it is a pretty useful tool even though it is easy to make another.

Be nice to the mouflon

#19 2018-12-28 23:39:19

Greep

Well looks like we've actually got a bigger town to the north this time around, connected by the road, and I know at least someone started a town south since I was born there.  I'm going to work on  20x20 giant zoo a bit west of town once I get the basket and milkweed situation under control and bring in some more iron.

Interestingly food just does not seem to be an issue. Looks like we're getting the problem of too much wheat actually from all the baskets I'm making so I've been off filling carts in the wild with reeds.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-28 23:40:21)

#20 2018-12-29 00:28:15

CrazyEddie

Pave the map with bearskin rugs.

#21 2018-12-29 04:11:58

Greep

Was talking with some others in the server, and a bear in the zoo would be more fun :3  Separate cell of course.  Main pen has got cows, sheep, and pigs now.  I think geese are the last domestic animals.

Edit: sidetracked xD

20181229052658-1.jpg

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-29 13:31:45)

#22 2018-12-31 12:43:18

Greep

Car #1 assembled!

20181231042152-1.jpg

It's currently hidden, I'll plop it in town once we get a proper locked garage.  If someone wants to work on that be my guest.  I think we should hold off on any more cars until we get some more iron, though.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make a bell tower and keep it ringing just in case someone takes a car and forgets a home marker.

Last edited by Greep (2018-12-31 12:55:43)

#23 2018-12-31 12:56:05

Carrot-Seedling

I like OCS for the reason that it's a town with all the stuff in it. It helps me practice signmaking. Also, I named the lower-down town Xyzzy town because I liked the letter Y.

Good job, Greep!

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#24 2018-12-31 13:00:40

Greep

Thanks big_smile

Yeah sign making is a real pain on the main servers, I just gave up.  I made the little keyboard in town, though it was someone else's idea to arrange the alphabet in that way.  It's mostly picked apart now though lol.

#25 2018-12-31 15:32:59

hmrka

I played there with my friend who is new, taught them some things big_smile Also painted two of your walls north, the red ones. Lovely town

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

Board footer