One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-25 13:21:04

Sylverone

Game suggestion: "I love you"

I almost suggested this in Jason's current opinions thread but didn't want to "be that guy" who has to try to sneak a suggestion to the developer. So, I'll make my own opinions thread! The unfortunate side effect is Jason may never see this but maybe that's for the best; we'll see. wink

At present the only type of connection two family trees can have is a murder. This doesn't seem quite right given how tightly connected and reciprocal two families in one town are. It would be neat if people could express their appreciation of those who have impacted them by saying "I love #name#", "I love you #name#", or, for a touch of sadness, "I loved #name#". This would result in a hyperlink to that person's death from the namer's entry in their own family tree (and the namee would get a corresponding back-link). "Loved #named#." "Was loved by #Namer#"

Restrictions:

1.   To prevent it from being spammy, and encourage people to be choosy about who they name, it would only work once per life and only on the first person you named. If necessary, it could be given a token like curses use currently, but that seems excessive.

2.   To limit the links to people who have actually met in the game, and avoid people randomly linking faraway families for no reason, restrict the effect within a certain radius, like with naming but much wider. For people who have died tie the effect to their bones. It would be a bit annoying if someone died far away from town so you couldn't link them, but this seems like an uncommon edge case and not a bad compromise. The distance of the effect could span a few screens or more and be a rectangle for fast distance calculation, since it only needs to be loosely approximate.

3.   Since it is mainly meant for linking families, limit it to members of a different family line.  Though it feels slightly arbitrary, it would also avoid the problem of weird implications about incest cropping up.

My vision here is a family tree sprinkled with occasional references to any other locally present families, giving families a way to express their cameraderie and shared burden (and to visualize conflict in the case where love and murder intermingle). It could give a potential sense of connection and responsibility for the success of the other line even if one's own line dies out. I think it is only natural that wars between families will happen sometimes, it just seems natural that its inverse should also have representation on the family tree.

In finale:
One of the first things in the game that impressed on me was the "I love yous" traded between the players, usually between the parents and children. I've never seen a dynamic like this arise so naturally within a game before. Of course it's roleplay, but its unique, and it has a kind of substance to it. My suggestion is meant to be in keeping with that spirit without cheapening it or detracting from the elements of conflict that also make the game compelling.

#2 2018-12-25 16:14:26

MultiLife

Re: Game suggestion: "I love you"

Yeah it's pretty funny how a game about parenting and families is running away from dads and proclamations of love or bound souls, relationships inside families and other villagers.
I welcome ideas that add to family trees and family ties, especially if we can link people in our little post mortem lineage picture box. Family trees are games of their own if you add more to them, so people can browse them and see mentions and connections to others, even other family trees.

Love can be motherly or friendly too. It doesn't have to be romantic really. Being loved by people doesn't have to mean romantic love. Even with dads I see no need for any romance really. I love my fellow workers whom I may share projects with, I love the occasional fellow veteran who happens to work for the same goal as me. I love the kid who eases my workload and keeps the town going, I love the guard who puts a stop to a griefer.

It would be hilarious if the game set the kids a father from a non-related family without them even knowing. But in a more serious note it'd make the males feel more connected and responsible for the people in the town. It's a bit sad seeing my male lives in a family tree, only connected to siblings and the mom, but not to the people after them. They just end there, with no connection to the future generations. Would be nice to bridge them over with a mention or two.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-25 16:15:09)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-12-25 16:47:14

lionon

Actually I like the idea, I can't see any harm in it. Instead of "love" I'd call it "praise" tough. In a lifetime you can praise one person and both the praising and the praised are listed in the family tree. It has no other in game effect (please don't make it a "karma" thing) other than bragging rights on the forum for being praised a dozen times.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-25 16:48:30)

#4 2018-12-25 18:11:00

Gabby

This is such a wholesome suggestion.

Be nice to the mouflon

#5 2018-12-25 18:13:29

Vexenie

Gabby wrote:

F*** YOUR MOUFLON
(sorry mouflon, I still luv u)

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#6 2018-12-25 22:16:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

My concern here is that players already say this for real in the game (or maybe they are role playing, but I think that sometimes it is for real).

And I don't want to subvert that natural feeling and expression by giving players an extra incentive for saying this.

Only say it if you mean it!   :-)

#7 2018-12-26 03:23:15

Booklat1

marriage mechanics though

#8 2018-12-26 05:57:58

Sylverone

jasonrohrer wrote:

My concern here is that players already say this for real in the game (or maybe they are role playing, but I think that sometimes it is for real).

And I don't want to subvert that natural feeling and expression by giving players an extra incentive for saying this.

Only say it if you mean it!   :-)

Yeah, that's more or less the sentiment coming through my concern about it getting spammy (cheapened, meaningless). I think ideally if it could work out it wouldn't be a scenario of "look how many likes I got!", but would be a rarer thing, not necessarily something everyone would do every life. I am torn on this point of yours. I stand behind the idea of linking family trees though. I forgot to mention in my post that maybe a different phrasing would be better for some reason, and you give a good one.

#9 2018-12-26 09:37:09

WalrusesConquer

I would love this! Much better than trying to sneak in their name in your last words.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#10 2018-12-26 15:35:46

Lotus

Hmmm... maybe something like, “I really love #name#” or “I deeply love #name#” to combat the “I love you”s already exchanged already in-game?

#11 2018-12-26 15:56:48

AmyJ

Booklat1 wrote:

marriage mechanics though

YES

#12 2018-12-26 18:38:07

Fox

Vexenie wrote:
Gabby wrote:

F*** YOUR MOUFLON
(sorry mouflon, I still luv u)

Hi, were you looking for me?

PS: I'm on board for this feature.

Last edited by Fox (2018-12-26 18:38:41)

Board footer