One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-16 18:22:19

SirCaio

Natural bug repellent

I guess we can all agree that mosquitoes are a pain to deal with if they manage to wander into town or if your village is built right next to a jungle and, since they're immortal, they can really cause problems. So I tryed my best to figure out a way to at least protect ourselves from them in fairly advanced towns.

Natural objects: -Eucalyptus (found in yellow prairies)
                        -Witch-Hazel (found in grasslands, ideally it'd be found in deciduous forests)

Final recipe: Bowl of distilled water + Bowl of insect repellent mixture = Clay bowl + Bowl of natural bug repellent

Effects: Bowl of natural bug repellent + Self = 10min (maybe too much?) of immunity from mosquito swarms

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation:
  First Part  : -Bare hand + Eucalyptus tree = Eucalyptus leaf                                     -Fractional distiller + Clay bowl = Fractional distiller with empty bowl
                   -(Eucalyptus leaf + Clay bowl) times 6 = Bowl of eucalyptus leaves         -Fractional distiller with empty bowl + Bucket of water =  Fractional distiller with full boiler
                                                                                                                            -Fractional distiller with full boiler + Basket of charcoal = Fractional distiller with charcoal
                                                                                                                            -Fractional distiller with charcoal + Bowl of eucalyptus leaves = Fractional distiller with eucalyptus leaves
                                                                                                                            -Fire it up -> Fractional distiller with bowl of eucalyptus oil
                                                                                                                            -Bare hand + Fractional distiller with bowl of eucalyptus oil = Bowl of eucalyptus oil*

Second Part: -Bare hand + Witch-Hazel shrub = Witch-Hazel stem
                   -(Witch-Hazel stem + Clay bowl) times 6 = Bowl of Witch-Hazel stems
                   -Stone + Bowl of Witch-Hazel stems = Bowl of mashed Witch-Hazel stems
                   -Bowl of water + Bowl of mashed Witch-Hazel stems = Clay bowl + Bowl of soaked Witch-Hazel stems
                   -Bowl of soaked Witch-Hazel stems + Hot coals = (Witch-Hazel stems in simmering water) 10s -> Witch-Hazel extract on hot coals
                   -Bare hand + Witch-Hazel extract on hot coals = Bowl of Witch-Hazel extract*

Third Part: -Fractional distiller with empty bowl + Bucket of water =  Fractional distiller with full boiler
                -Fractional distiller with full boiler + Basket of charcoal = Fractional distiller with charcoal
                -Fire it up -> Fractional distiller with bowl of distilled water
                -Bare hand + Fractional distiller with bowl of distilled water = Bowl of distilled water*

Final Part: -Bowl of eucalyptus oil* + Bowl of Witch-Hazel extract* = Bowl of insect repellent mixture
                -Bowl of distilled water* + Bowl of insect repellent mixture = Clay bowl + Bowl of natural bug repellent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: This process won't be available to towns without a Fractional Distiller, making it quite high up the tech tree, however, since the "special" resources required (eucalyptus leaves/Witch-Hazel stems) are infinite it could be done in abundance in fairly advanced towns.

This idea sure has a lot of room for improvement, so if this is something you'd like to see in the game feel free to discuss it in the comments.
Thanks for your attention.

#2 2018-12-16 22:35:44

Glassius

Re: Natural bug repellent

The main issue: Jason wants to keep jungle balanced, as this is a biome which should provide high profit (bananas) for high risk (mosquitoes). If we are applying counters to mosquitoes, we would also need few bananas or more threats. I would add jungle snakes and jaguars smile

Also, bug repellent is a solution for jungle town, but not for people exploring jungle alone. Alongside bug repeller there could be also a hat with mosquito net.

Fun fact: Malaria was a big problem all over the world, including North America and Europe. During American Civil War 1 316 000 people got sick and 10 000 died. In I World War it strikes 80% of soldiers from both sides in Macedonia fight zone. With invention of DDT, malaria was eradicated in USA and in Europe.

#3 2018-12-17 00:06:03

SirCaio

Glassius wrote:

The main issue: Jason wants to keep jungle balanced, as this is a biome which should provide high profit (bananas) for high risk (mosquitoes). If we are applying counters to mosquitoes, we would also need few bananas or more threats. I would add jungle snakes and jaguars smile

Also, bug repellent is a solution for jungle town, but not for people exploring jungle alone. Alongside bug repeller there could be also a hat with mosquito net.

Fun fact: Malaria was a big problem all over the world, including North America and Europe. During American Civil War 1 316 000 people got sick and 10 000 died. In I World War it strikes 80% of soldiers from both sides in Macedonia fight zone. With invention of DDT, malaria was eradicated in USA and in Europe.

These are all great ideas and facts.
The thing is that if jungle snakes and jaguars were to be added, and if they are like their current "counterparts" (rattle snakes and bears), they'd be easily "containable" in the occasion of wandering into a town that's prepared with arrows and knives. That's not the case with mosquitoes, if they wander into your town, arrows and knives will mean nothing to them and they'll just cause problems. I introduced this idea as a defensive way to reduce unnecessary deaths caused by mosquitoes near towns, and it comes with a high cost since it's fairly high in the tech tree, so I guess it wouldn't unbalance the jungle biome and be more of a QoL feature for fairly advanced civs.

I like the netted hat idea though, however I think it'd be an easy counter. Maybe you can't eat while you're wearing it, as you can't just phase food through the net tongue

#4 2018-12-17 07:11:08

lionon

Glassius wrote:

With current state of affairs I see following issues:

1: Bananas are now a temporary profit useful on startup or travelers, but mosqs are permanent pest.
2: Mosqs can happen literately everywhere due to them wandering far outside their biome and invisible mini-jungle-biomes.
3: While being naked mosqs are a only a minor inconvenience making you unproductive for a minute or two, otherwise useful clothes suddenly become a death trap.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-17 07:11:27)

#5 2018-12-17 13:26:53

arkajalka

Smoke is a bug repellent too. Guess it's just not easily imported to the game.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#6 2018-12-17 17:15:25

Booklat1

lionon wrote:
Glassius wrote:

With current state of affairs I see following issues:

1: Bananas are now a temporary profit useful on startup or travelers, but mosqs are permanent pest.
2: Mosqs can happen literately everywhere due to them wandering far outside their biome and invisible mini-jungle-biomes.
3: While being naked mosqs are a only a minor inconvenience making you unproductive for a minute or two, otherwise useful clothes suddenly become a death trap.

These are the very reasons I think mosquitoes need some sort of counter, just a labour intensive one to produce. repellants are nice mid game but we could really get inseticides as a late game tech. Its not like jungles without bananas are straight up OP, heat helps a lot but small deserts do that too.

#7 2018-12-17 22:05:36

BlueDiamondAvatar

There IS a labor intensive counter to mosquitoes.  You build walls.  The best berry patch I ever started planting was on the safe side of a wall that some wise folks had made in a jungle zone.  You use bell tower bases.  You have to get the timing right, setting the base down when the mosquitoes are in their future pen.  I've tried to reproduce it, and didn't get very far.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#8 2018-12-18 19:53:15

mrslax

Always travel naked because food is cheap, but mosquitoes can pop out of nowhere and kill you anywhere.  really anywhere!!!  also avoid jungles.  If you have to build something in the jungle then walls or have the bone wall stacked 5 deep.  If you are making a road is almost always easier to go around a jungle than straight through. 

Protip eat a shroom to see mosquitoes much easier

Board footer