One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-14 03:15:30

SavageOgre

okay, so why do we have cars?

as most of you know, primitive cars are being added into the next update, and seeing how im apparently banned off of the forums, and couldn't get an answer that actually relates to the point I'm about to make, I decided to take it to the forums and see if we can have a conversation here.

*yes i know this is jasons game, with him at the helm to do with it whatever he wants, doesnt mean i cant criticize*

Point#1 Its redundant currently
The game doesn't need cars at the moment, or really any other vehicle that doesn't improve storage capacity, cars are 95% redundant compared to the other mode of transportation in the game currently (horses), transportation in the game is currently only ever really used for two things, collection iron and milkweed, and occasionally some soil from a far away soil pit, that and ONE hardcore bunny farmer who could fill up a horse cart will baskets of bunny's without it running off in her.
besides that nobody ever uses the horse carts, late game civilizations always end up having stacks of horse carts with nobody hardly ever using them, ( because one person can get a colony a minimum of 7 stacks of iron in a lifetime by riding a horse and collection iron if they needed to , also nothing wrong with surplus vehicles, I'm js)
Horses running off on you can easily be countered by mounting your horse every few seconds while you work, it seems like a lot of work but so is literally everything in this game. I've never had a horse run off on me and be lost permanently.
Conclusion: Cars are just a QOL improvement over horses for very late game colony's for a job that isn't very important at all when your colony has 8 stacks of iron. (something thats super easy to get and i see all the time)

Point#2 There are things that should be in the game before cars
Jason at what point in the game, is everybody gonna be able to stop being primarily farmers? how are you going to implement killer atomic robots and monorails when our entire villages survival counts on a super annoying farm to maintain its livelihood, at what point does your experiments civilization modernize and using this newfound machinery and technology to make farming less of a hassle, and involve much less people?
Berry farming is everybody least favorite part of the game, nobody wants to do it, hardly anybody ever does do it, and it leaves one or two people to pick up the slack of a 15 man colony berry farm because its almost all dead, I dont have any specific suggestions that haven't been put out there, some kind of irrigation system, any kind of way to make berry farming for LATE GAME colony not such a hassle.
what about books? or furniture? or making buildings cheaper/viable?
Conclusion: Theres lots of QOL improvements that us society need, if we want to really be able to enjoy all this cool late game stuff you wanna add Jason.

Yknow besides that, I'm all for the new pump thats being added, its another step in the right direction, Ive owned this game for about a month at this point and i pretty much know almost everything (in-game wise, thanks one tech tree) i obviously love and have a passion for this game, if i knew the first thing about coding I would fucking LOVE to work on this game with Jason, I just dont want to see this become a pattern, so I'm address my concern now before it does/could. I think that every single update that came out since the steam launch when i started playing has been a good step in the right direction for this game, But adding the car because its the most requested feature was the wrong step for this update to take IMO, as apposed to working on making our villages more advanced and self sufficient.

Sorry for any cussing, this whole thing kind of irked me because like rust, ive really started looking forward to reading what Jason is adding to the game, and nobody really seemed to be getting the points Ive laid out.

Last edited by SavageOgre (2018-12-14 03:24:00)

#2 2018-12-14 06:23:31

Jadelink

Re: okay, so why do we have cars?

We have them so rich societies can produce idiot toys to experiment with.  Griefers can then follow, spending all of a civilizations iron on a dead end tech, and claim not to be griefing.  The veterans who got to do the experiments will agree, and try to organize the lynching of anyone else producing cars now they've had a chance to tinker with it and see how it works. 

The curious will want to tinker a car of their own.  The murder of the curious as griefers will then initiate the need for the next degree of tech with various instruments of PvP, that cars will forge a need for.

#3 2018-12-14 07:56:40

Lotus

Cars kind of remind me of dogs.

#4 2018-12-14 08:10:43

lionon

Lotus wrote:

So you can make one tech tree branch to a mean pit bull car army to attack a whole town? smile

Well I'll just wait to see what the update brings before I give my comment on it.

My impression is, what is tried to achieve is more interaction between towns and better transportation ought to make this more doable. The bigger issue tough is, there is no (good willed) incentive to interact with another town as each and every is 100% self contained.

There isn't even relative production benefits of other places. Forgot how it was called in economy theory it's been a while, but it was shown that even if place 1 is more productive with good A and B than place 2, but on place 2 for example good B is relatively more efficient to make than A, while on place 1 it's the other way around, still both places gain by trading.

#5 2018-12-14 08:15:38

Tarr
Banned

Lotus wrote:

I think the difference is cars are actually fun and useful instead of dogs which were just fun for all of two seconds. I'm not exactly sure the viability of cars yet as I haven't put one together but I feel like they'll just be expensive toys for the towns to play around with should they get far enough down the tech tree.

If anything these crude cars are an actual use for the last two weeks of pump upgrades. Makes all these water upgrades we've been getting worth the wait.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2018-12-14 12:59:16

MultiLife

Haven't seen cars but yeah, there should be a need for a car first before adding them in, at least if you want people to appreciate your update. If there is no need and it's not better than old things, people won't appreciate your update and will see it as worthless, or just as a short distraction to keep veterans momentarily busy with complex crafting.

If cars would've been added after horse breeding and dying of old age update, people would've been really happy about it. We would have dying horses and horse breeding jobs but also an option for a car that doesn't die like a horse. Maybe even carrying capacity differences. A motor can live forever with maintenance but an organ can't, and that's why we have motored vehicles irl. In game they sound like horses without carrying capacity - we skipped the whole reason why we developed machines in the first place? Went straight to civilian style cars and not work related machinery? Why...?

How is driving a car in the claustrophobic default view btw? Or do they need a road to follow?

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2018-12-14 13:28:40

fatalwolf

Considering how useless rail carts have become seems like cars will also follow the same trend. Cars and rail carts would of been great in the past when we had multiple large cities next to each other. Its been a very long time since we had multiple neighboring cities. I know the future of the game is exciting but there are many things in the past that could use more uses. Like bear and wolf meat, eating cooked pork and beef, penguins, dogs, seals, and cows with a plow for farming. The primary use for a car right now is to simply to get far away iron because iron was nerfed.

Buff fishing

#8 2018-12-14 15:02:44

Falsewall

Running over a snake and needing rope to fix a course cart it is a pain.

#9 2018-12-14 15:10:29

MultiLife

Falsewall wrote:

Sure, but it's not bad at all. You can avoid deserts, kill snakes, and use up only a rope to fix a tipped cart. Could be worse.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-14 15:11:12)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2018-12-14 15:42:20

lionon

Falsewall wrote:

Given that while you are on a horse cart you completely immune to mosquitoes, boars, wolves and bear I find the snake a fair tradeoff.

#11 2018-12-14 15:43:00

CrazyEddie

lionon wrote:

My impression is, what is tried to achieve is more interaction between towns and better transportation ought to make this more doable. The bigger issue tough is, there is no (good willed) incentive to interact with another town as each and every is 100% self contained.

Agreed. The idea of trade between different towns has never made sense in this game (so far). The transaction costs are extremely high: travel time, the difficulty of identifying what the useful trades are, difficulty in communicating, low transport capacities, etc etc. And at the same time, the benefits of trade are extremely small - almost anything that one town can provide, another town can provide on its own at nearly identical cost.

Even if one town has advanced technology, the capital is so cheap in this game that any other town is better off building up their own technology rather than buying finished goods from the other town.

There isn't even relative production benefits of other places. Forgot how it was called in economy theory it's been a while, but it was shown that even if place 1 is more productive with good A and B than place 2, but on place 2 for example good B is relatively more efficient to make than A, while on place 1 it's the other way around, still both places gain by trading.

David Ricardo's Principle of Comparative Advantage!

#12 2018-12-14 17:56:33

Solbusaur

Cars before wagons, baby slings and irrigation/water channels. sad

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#13 2018-12-14 18:12:11

Booklat1

Cars provide us an iron sink and more efficient means of long distance scouting. Also some extra tech for bored players to craft isnt bad.

My issue with cars is that they still don't fix the biggest issues with transportation, which are the incapability of travelling in groups and towns having few reasons to explore. The biggest reason one would have to explore nowadays would be finding females. Most lines die to a lack of fertile females and being able to get one from another village is a nice way to save your doomed one. However, with current transports we can't hope to travel together, and cars don't fix that.

Cars will be fun once we need to go out of our towns for more than iron and occasionaly rabbits/weed.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-12-14 18:15:38)

#14 2018-12-14 18:45:09

CrazyEddie

The biggest reason one would have to explore nowadays would be finding females. Most lines die to a lack of fertile females and being able to get one from another village is a nice way to save your doomed one.

introducing the new meta

41790909-Kidnap_King_of_the_Berlin_Wall_For_Men_Only_pulp_cover_July_1965.jpg

#15 2018-12-14 19:18:01

MultiLife

CrazyEddie wrote:

The biggest reason one would have to explore nowadays would be finding females. Most lines die to a lack of fertile females and being able to get one from another village is a nice way to save your doomed one.

introducing the new meta

(pic)

You don't have to kidnap them, they'll swoon over the sight of a car, right? "Take me!"

#16 2018-12-14 19:39:16

CrazyEddie

Introducing the new new meta

hot-women-bikes-cars-4_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

#17 2018-12-14 20:45:31

WalrusesConquer

Can more than one people drive the car?

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#18 2018-12-14 21:32:27

MultiLife

CrazyEddie wrote:

That's more like it. Get dem gold diggers.

#19 2018-12-14 21:54:13

Lexyvil

I honestly expected old western-like wagons being pulled by horses to be the first vehicle in the game. It would be nice if lower techs still are still created even after newer tech are added over time.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-12-14 23:55:19)

#20 2018-12-15 01:39:47

Lily

I think he is still working on the water issue, which is why this came out with the diesel water pump. I think he is trying to push out as far as he can, to see how much water it is possible to keep making, so he can eventually balances things compared to that. That is just a guess though.

Anyway, since horses are a pain in the butt, the car is a lot better to avoid having to deal with them running off and stuff.

#21 2018-12-15 13:55:09

karltown_veteran

CrazyEddie wrote:

introducing the new meta

https://pulpcovers.com/wp-content/uploa … y_1965.jpg

If we're in the "darn tarnation" stage we might as well doll up our dolls in silk.. where are them silkworms?

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#22 2018-12-15 14:25:09

Averest

I'd love to see tractors. Make a plow attachment, put it on the back of a car and let it be engaged to turn soil under to create furrows. You only need one soil to get deep tilled. The attachment slows down the car to a crawl, of course.

I'd love to see horse drawn plows as well. The plow slows down the horse, but it also saves soil. Same thing, one deep.

Spray sprinkler that requires pipes but can be used to auto water things like berry bushes and saves a step.

#23 2018-12-15 21:15:00

wio

My honest guess would be that Jason wanted the engine to debut with something special, and cars are what came to mind. Since we already had a well pump, only having it for the well would not have been too exciting.

#24 2018-12-15 21:45:47

Sakkiyn

So we skipped what a thousand years of human history and bang, cars.

Ancient civs (astone age) hunted animals for meat often with spears, Jason skipped that.

Copper and bronze ages came before iron and iron before steel, Jason skipped that.

He added mosquitoes to punish zoom mod users, and they serve no purpose beyond him griefing the payer base with them.

He skipped medieval times with knights and organized wars. Skipped gunpowder, skipped the entire old west.

I used to be excited about this game and all the things about human civ that would have to be introduced and built before moving to the next things, I see now my excitement is unfounded.

It looks like Jason does not read books or know anything about the history of how man evolved.

This game is just his curtailed version of things, adding useless tech.

Id rather have seen adding babies to wagons, spears and hunting/skinning all animals for meat and leather.

Maybe tie horses to trees like they did since forever. But it seems this game is going nowhere fast.

I agree with the OP, why did he add cars? My guess he is tired of making this game, and seems incapable of reproducing even a partially accurate portrayal of civilization.

What once was promising has become a sad waste of time.

#25 2018-12-15 22:07:37

lionon

Well the idea is following, suppose tomorrow all tools and everything was gone, except libraries and knowledge... how would we restart things? The thing is, we probably wouldn't go the same route again, we'd really skip over things ahead, also the path humanity took so far is not the only possible way it could have been.

The one thing also to consider, this game focus on technology (re)development. The social development is not considered at all and yes of course supposing knowledge persisted only the tools being gone, we'd still have the ideas enlightenment, so there would me no medieval area, we wouldn't need to go through spanish inquisation again, we wouldn't need to do nazis again, etc.

PS: The old west only applied a part of the world anyway smile

Board footer