#76 2018-12-10 16:57:56

Floofy

Re: Welp, I just did some math

Same here. lionon is 100% right.

#77 2018-12-10 18:45:25

MultiLife

lionon wrote:

Thus increased iron scarcity did nothing to towns, but made eve camps harder. Well it's not actually hard to scavenge for iron (with the zoom mod that is). But many players die trying and it takes time while the camp would still need all human power for various other tasks.

Yeah it's not really hard to get iron, you just run in badlands. Many newer peeps surely die trying, and are most likely already discouraged with the low success rate. Without the mod you just gotta stop on items all the time to be careful, and being careful slows you down even more. You will find iron eventually no matter what, but it's not fun nor interesting nor entertaining to just run more, to run further, oftentimes to only retrieve an ore or two which surely doesn't feel worth of tens of minutes in worst case scenarios (which are rather common). Before the nerf, I didn't even use the zoom out mod and never got killed by wild animals on my iron runs. Never. Never even starved.
Iron runs just take more time now and stunt the growth of young villages while big villages ride horses to mines all around the place.

I'd much rather keep digging and mining for some sort of underground vein in a closeby badland or expand and maintain mines instead of running around further and further... And I'd also rather keep smithing tools left and right than run left and right for ores and veins. I also think the RNG of vein's iron ore total is also a bad idea: rather have small veins and big veins and epic veins with a tight pool for the number of ore or then mines with floors. It's just not good to have one type of vein which mine can collapse in five or twenty five pulls with no way to fix or predict it, imo. Too much reliance on a number that shouldn't be as random as it is; it makes some towns drown in iron which seemed to be the starting point of the nerf.

In an ideal situation, there would be less RNG with tool breakage and mining, we would get more iron and steel items (recyclable when broken, lots of work for aspiring smiths), and just have a new way of mining and ways to get early gen iron (like the water iron suggestion, not sure how slow or complex that is to be useful but it's a game).
I really liked the ideas of mines that "go dry like a well" unless new support pillars, ropes or tracks are made and dropped into it (why not torches and lanters now as we got torches and oil?), then every floor requires new pillars and tracks and minecarts or smth. Like a dry well but this time it goes deeper down as we plop in the needed items. Maybe even a jungle habiting canary bird trapped in a steel cage if we hit fatal gasses to save miner lives (risky business if no bird!), then build a new mine further away...

Today I had good luck on ground iron though, even had a vein in an Eve camp, it made me wonder if it was buffed already, but I have been avoiding iron runs for so long I couldn't tell if it was.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-10 18:52:59)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#78 2018-12-11 11:47:13

InSpace

Morti, don't harass Jason. You are acting entitled in a way where you think he is gonna use every waking second working on this game, let him do his thing at his own pace.

#79 2018-12-11 14:49:47

Tane

If you decreased the prevalence anymore than two, you'd have to increase the reward per vein just because of the learning curve alone.
After all, all it would take is two or three new players making a mistake in two generations to doom a entire town

#80 2018-12-11 22:33:47

betame

Trying to check over the math.
The scaling in regard to iron spawn chances and map sizes looks relatively consistent.
Mangos were reduced from 11+2 per slice -> 7+2 per slice, 69.33 food per soil-> 48 food per soil. I'm not sure if that was factored in yet.
Stew definitely uses more iron per food than mangoes, because stew requires tilled soil. Milk currently trumps all food by a large margin.

I'm not certain about the 1100 soil per iron math, but I'm guessing it was
21 soil / [(1 shovel use * 0.5/100 iron per shovel use) + (1.467 hoe uses * 0.5/50 iron per hoe use)] = 1063.3 soil per iron,
which leads to my main question:

Is the shovel intended to be used once or twice during compost? It currently has a chance to degrade both when picking up and placing down the dung. (and putting down potatoes too)

The "putting down" transitions weren't updated with the rest of the iron-nerfing shovel changes.

I don't want to create a GitHub account to raise this query.

Last edited by betame (2018-12-11 23:50:40)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#81 2018-12-12 01:37:04

ryanb
Website

betame wrote:
Is the shovel intended to be used once or twice during compost? It currently has a chance to degrade both when picking up and placing down the dung. (and putting down potatoes too)

The "putting down" transitions weren't updated with the rest of the iron-nerfing shovel changes.

I know Jason is aware of this because in the tool durability update he said the acidity of moving dung degrades the shovel faster. Later he added the ability for transitions to not consume a use so I think it is now easy for him to make it so shovels only trigger a use when picking up or placing down something. I don't know if he will make this change though.

Last edited by ryanb (2018-12-12 01:37:35)

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#82 2018-12-12 01:50:53

CrazyEddie

In truth compost uses four shovel units, because idiots pick up the compost in the pen and then put it down someplace else instead of leaving it in the pen until they have a compost pile to use it on.

[ gripe gripe gripe ]

#83 2018-12-13 18:59:56

Stormyzabeast

lionon wrote:

All the times I've been in last or next to last generation it was due to following reasons (working in combination and ordered in importance)

Reason number 1: (US) Night shift. It's night not many players are online drastically reducing town population. These are the towns you are drowning in resources.  Tons of food, tools, horses, clothes, backpacks, yet the next generation is very uncertain.

Reason number 2: Unlucky RNG on girls vs. boys. So you had 4 children. All of them boys -> game over.

Reason number 3: Noobiness. Sometimes the girls you have are just too inexperienced to survive and put the food that is all around in their mouth.

then there is a gab.

Reason number 4: Griefers. Only with the combination of the previous 3 they can push a town over the edge. So you got 1 woman ... and that gets murdered. "muhahahaha." *rolls eyes*. If the town would be lively with players averagely experienced the griefer couldn't bring it down. Even if he breaks the compost cycle people could eat from wild resources etc.

Then there is a hugh, hugh gap.

Reason none: Ressource scarcity of any kind. Never seen it happen on iron, only on food in new villages with nobody baking, people standing in the cold feeding children eating like crazy, etc. (Reason 3)

Thus increased iron scarcity did nothing to towns, but made eve camps harder. Well it's not actually hard to scavenge for iron (with the zoom mod that is). But many players die trying and it takes time while the camp would still need all human power for various other tasks.

I also agree to what has said previously the actually most scarce resource is time. You only got 60 minutes (well somewhat less given useless baby/granny/grandpa years) to accomplish anything.

EDIT: One thing I forgot, lag spikes, can also occasionally be a serious mass-killer.

+1

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

Board footer