One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-07 22:59:58

ryanb
Website

(Spoiler) The Oil Update Guide

A massive update was just released (v179), which includes several Newcomen machines along with the ability to drill for oil and distill it down to Kerosene.

All for Water

Currently the new content is there just to make more water. The Newcomen Pump was nerfed to only giving you 3 buckets of water per charcoal (from 5 buckets). Since it takes 1 bucket of water to run it, you gain 2 buckets.

Using kerosene instead of charcoal gives you 6 buckets (gain 5) so it is much more effective. Also you can do this 6 times per tank of kerosene giving you 30 buckets per tank. Since you need to power the pumpjack to fill the tank, the net gain is 29 buckets.

Currently there is no way to use Kerosene in the other Newcomen engines, so it factors to 14.5 buckets of water per charcoal. Still much better than 2 buckets of water per charcoal that you get from the normal pump.

Getting to Kerosene will take about 27 iron, but it doesn't use iron to get additional kerosene. Is it worth it? Perhaps in big towns with extra iron. There will likely be additional tech in future updates which use Kerosene and the Newcomen engines.

The Process

Getting to Kerosene is a rather complex process, so here are some broad steps to follow.

1. Create a Newcomen Pump if you don't have one already. No sense in making the other machines until you have this.

2. Make a Multipurpose Newcomen Engine near the forging area. This allows you to swap out different modules to change the function.

3. One module is Crude Piston on Flat Rock. Attach the piston module to make a Hammer Newcomen Engine.

4. Using that engine, craft 3 Large Pulleys and 1 Small Pulley.

5. Use these pulleys to craft a Roller Mechanism and Bore Mechanism. These are the two other modules you can attach to the multipurpose Newcomen engine.

6. Use the Newcomen Roller to craft several Steel Rods. I'd make about 8, but you might need more depending on your luck.

7. Use the Newcomen Bore to turn all the rods into Steel Pipes. Turn one of those into a Pump Valve Jacket and another into a Wick Housing

8. Look for a Tarry Spot in the Tundra or Desert. The closer the better. Desert will be better for temperature.

9. Make an Oil Drilling Rig using the Tarry Spot and steel pipe you made earlier. Upon firing, there is a 20% chance to find oil. You need to add another steel pipe each failure to try again.

10. Once oil is found, add a Pump Valve and Fuel Tank to get crude oil.

11. Craft a Fractional Distiller to distill the crude oil into kerosene.

12. Add a Kerosene Wick Burner to a Newcomen Pump and use the Kerosene to power it.

That's it! I recommend making another tank of Kerosene since it takes a couple buckets to power the other engines.

Last edited by ryanb (2018-12-10 19:14:15)

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#2 2018-12-07 23:02:55

Solbusaur

Re: (Spoiler) The Oil Update Guide

Thank you so much. I was struggling to piece it together, one crafting step at a time

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#3 2018-12-07 23:10:00

CrazyEddie

You should add "spoiler" to your thread title.

#4 2018-12-07 23:28:57

ryanb
Website

Added Spoiler mention, thanks Crazy Eddie

#5 2018-12-07 23:40:30

Catfive

This is huge, we're about to hit a ton of new content based on this!

#6 2018-12-08 01:13:48

Smetig

can we talk about the sound that the spinning pump thing does , it's just Jason's voice going "EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH" had me dying at least.

If your name is Erika, Sebastian or Lukas, Im your mum

#7 2018-12-08 01:23:05

Stormyzabeast

Smetig wrote:

can we talk about the sound that the spinning pump thing does , it's just Jason's voice going "EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH" had me dying at least.

Are all the in game sounds Jason's voice? My bf always overhears me playing and laughs at them lol

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#8 2018-12-08 01:30:48

Solbusaur

Yep, got to make all three parts thanks to this, thankyou again

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#9 2018-12-08 02:10:13

Smetig

Stormyzabeast wrote:
Smetig wrote:

Are all the in game sounds Jason's voice? My bf always overhears me playing and laughs at them lol

He records all the sounds in the game by himself, so yes i think it is mostly his voice we hear all day haha.

If your name is Erika, Sebastian or Lukas, Im your mum

#10 2018-12-08 08:38:35

gabal

It does seem like an oversight that you can't convert multi-purpose newcomen engine to run on kerosene.

One question - is the process reversible? Can you just take out the wick housing from engine to have it run on charcoal again?

#11 2018-12-08 13:26:24

Tane

Iron is going to become more important that food soon

#12 2018-12-08 22:33:03

ryanb
Website

gabal wrote:

It does seem like an oversight that you can't convert multi-purpose newcomen engine to run on kerosene.

One question - is the process reversible? Can you just take out the wick housing from engine to have it run on charcoal again?

I think Jason has plans to add a Kerosene option to the other engines. In that case it won’t take any charcoal to maintain fuel.

Currently an engine isn’t reversible so you cannot go back to charcoal. You can always fill up a couple buckets from ponds if you run completely out to get more Kerosene. This might be more of an issue when you can convert other engines to Kerosene though.

#13 2018-12-09 11:53:11

Booklat1

Tane wrote:

Iron is going to become more important that food soon

Iron's only ever important when you run out of food, so unlikely. Might still become a major econonomy drive like soil and water, as it should be.

Board footer