One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-08 20:35:48

Vexenie

Rope machine

Rope... a necessary item that everyone needs yet IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

We need a machine that makes rope or atleast makes making rope easier, like two machine, one makes thread, the other one rope
you set up the thread machine by putting two or three milkweed and start spinning a roller lever (see what I did there, I made a machine idea without using newcomen) and makes two or three thread, what can be put into a rope machine, that also gives two or three rope from two or three thread

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2018-12-08 21:25:41

Floofy

Re: Rope machine

Making a rope would cost 1 iron. hahhaha tongue

#3 2018-12-08 21:27:56

CrazyEddie

As you've described it this would seriously break immersion. Rope requires the same raw materials no matter how you make it. If it takes the fibers from four fibrous plants to make a single rope by hand, it's going to take the exact same amount of material to make that rope with a machine. In other words, a machine that lets you make rope using less milkweed than doing it by hand just doesn't make any sense.

The game isn't realistic, of course, but Jason likes the technology he introduces to be related to real-world technology. The Newcomen engine was an actual machine, the first steam engine used to do productive industrial work. Steel is actually made by heating iron and charcoal; iron is actually made by heating iron ore and pounding it; charcoal is actually made by heating wood in a closed kiln; etc. But there's never been a machine that could make rope using less raw material than manual ropemaking does.

#4 2018-12-10 18:04:15

The_Anabaptist

I posted this in the milkweed thread, but it fits just as well here.

http://digg.com/video/how-rope-is-made

It is real and it fits the game's ethos.  And it most definitely costs some iron! 

It probably means that the early hand recipes would need to be tweaked once this would be implemented.  It all comes down to: are you making a rope or are you making a ROPE!

I don't post to Reddit myself, so feel free to borrow the idea for posting in the suggestions subreddit there.

The_Anabaptist

#5 2018-12-10 18:23:46

Potjeh

How about hemp, but you need to hammer it at Newcomen hammer to split into fibres that you spin into rope on your rope machine? Higher rope yield per farm than milkweed of course, maybe even as high as a whole rope out of single farm time.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-12-10 18:24:39)

#6 2018-12-10 21:11:52

lionon

People were making ropes out of hemp way, way before newcomen machines.

Actually the story goes a satchel of hemp seeds used to be a standard equipment on ships. in case they fall ashore with broken sails, they'd got everything to regrow and make new sails and ropes. Given some time. It was part of the absolute emergency kit with the sextant and compass.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-10 21:12:21)

#7 2018-12-11 04:11:50

Monolith_Rans

You need rope for buckets and we have so many uses for buckets now! We need more rope! I think the jungle biome should have kepok trees.  They are like banana trees but filled with silky fiber.  That material is what hammocks are made of.  You could make big spools of it for the hundreds of buckets you will need in the Industrial Age.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

Board footer