One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-08 21:18:06

Floofy

Difficulty progression idea

So right now i feel like an issue with the game is that, primitive ages are plenty hard enough, but once you do reach the max of the tech tree, it gets pretty easy (until the lineage runs into bad luck and have no more girls). But actually hitting a wall and an advanced civilisation starving simply doesn't happen, because the game is mad easy at end tech.

The issue is that its complicated for the dev to increase late game difficulty, without making the early game harder. It seems like the current plan is to add more and more tech, which is "ok" but does not completely fix the issue.

I personally think the whole "spiral" idea is a bit pointless. I don't think actually trading with other towns or anything like that has any points or will ever happen.

Instead, what if each town was completely separate? I mean, an Eve should be an actual EVE and there shouldn't be any other humans on earth when you spawn as Eve.

Now, here is a few ideas that would come with Eve being the true beginning of the world:

* There could be an actual temperature change. Winter is coming. As time goes on, after about 3 hours (so around gen 8-9), the temperature would start to drop. Eventually, at around gen 20, Desert would be as cold as arctic. Plains with clothes would be like being naked in the arctic. Etc. This would force players not only to have clothes, but also to actually have buildings.

* Diseases. After a 10+ gens, diseases could be introduced to increase the difficulty level, with ways to cure them later in the tech tree.

I'd also change the following things:

* Once a civilisation dies out, it should be dead for good.
* You should only spawn as Eve once there is truly no other options.

This is to ensure existing civilisations actually get babies and don't all die out to "no girls". The civ ender should be the hard cold weather, diseases, or things like that. Not women all being infertile and there is nothing to do about it.

#2 2018-12-08 22:24:54

Booklat1

Re: Difficulty progression idea

All that you describe will be fun for the first 2 or 3 times at best. Forceful solutions for more diverse game experience always result in the opposite. When you start setting timers for specific civilization ending events you make sure they are inevitable. Civs dying because of no girls is very common but it's not guaranteed this will happen.

From jungles to machines, all updates have made more late game content without making early game harder. Water nerfs don't actually hit sucessful eve camps and bananas even help them. Sheep era villages are the ones hit the most since they need to use axes, shovels and hoes a lot while still needing a lot of iron to go higher iin tech. Iron nerfs was the last update that made it tougher for eves (and banana nerf but that was a very necessary fix).

We have been stuck in sheep era for months with only cows and tree farming shifting the meta, always settling in desert/grass/swamp and pilling iron for no use. All that came since iron nerfs is to prevent this exact situation without killing early gens, slowly but well thought out, I don't see how dropping this project benefits the game in the slightly.

its hard to see the effects of city communication until you revive a city by eve chaining + bell and spawn there later to find a library with your eve name but i assure you, its priceless.

#3 2018-12-08 22:43:56

Floofy

Booklat1 wrote:

Civs dying because of no girls is very common but it's not guaranteed this will happen.

Other than no girls, girls being completly stupid (not eating the mass foods), and griefers, there isn't any other civilisation enders. I've never lived in an advanced civ that died due to iron shortage or hunger.

Booklat1 wrote:

From jungles to machines, all updates have made more late game content without making early game harder. Water nerfs don't actually hit sucessful eve camps and bananas even help them. Sheep era villages are the ones hit the most since they need to use axes, shovels and hoes a lot while still needing a lot of iron to go higher iin tech. Iron nerfs was the last update that made it tougher for eves (and banana nerf but that was a very necessary fix).

I am not complaining about Eve being too hard. Eve is the right difficulty imo. I am complaining about the game being too easy once all tech have been reached. Once you have mutton meat everywhere and horse carts.

#4 2018-12-08 23:57:05

CrazyEddie

Floofy wrote:

I've never lived in an advanced civ that died due to iron shortage or hunger.

I've never seen an iron shortage in a mature town, but I've seen mature towns have massive die-offs due to famine due to mismanagement (or possibly griefing, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes).

Not lately, though. Earlier, after the Steam release. I think the new players have mostly learned or left by now.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2018-12-08 23:58:03)

#5 2018-12-09 06:44:45

BladeWoods

It's hard to even feel what the late game difficulty right now even is cause all the advanced civs die off prematurely when resources are abundant from lack of girl births from rng and the dwindling player population at night.

If advanced towns could last a few days or more then they could start feeling the iron shortage

I don't think set generation timers would work well. You could introduce difficulty to later towns without affecting early towns by making late-resources scarcer exactly like what was just done with water and the pump upgrade (next make iron mines produce less iron and give a higher tech machine upgrade) or by making new technology create new problems. Making the game post that technology harder w/o affecting pre that technology.

Board footer