One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-07 03:49:29

GreatShawn

A little fact

The most difficult item (or rather animal) to make in the game currently is chihuaua with one puppy (98 steps)
H3cYKMP.png

#2 2018-12-07 04:14:19

ryanb
Website

Re: A little fact

Difficulty is hard to measure. This is one of the deepest items in the tech tree but I wouldn’t say it is the most difficult. Many items build upon tools so once you get those then difficult items become much easier.

If you consider time involved then the bell tower is more difficult.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#3 2018-12-07 04:21:58

GreatShawn

ryanb wrote:

Difficulty is hard to measure. This is one of the deepest items in the tech tree but I wouldn’t say it is the most difficult. Many items build upon tools so once you get those then difficult items become much easier.

If you consider time involved then the bell tower is more difficult.

But still, the more steps it take, the longer it is to make it.

#4 2018-12-07 06:56:05

ryanb
Website

Estimating the difficulty of an object turns out to be quite a challenge. Early in onetech’s development I did a lot of experimenting with calculating difficulty but have not been happy with it.

First off looking at the depth doesn’t consider tool reuse. For example an axe is 48 steps but a Pickaxe is 56 steps deep. Each hammer hit counts as a step even though it is not more difficult. Same goes for hitting stakes with a stone, or the transitions of a rabbit being trapped.

Also depth does not consider the complexity of the tree. It is just the max depth of one branch.

I tried to calculate difficulty based on item reuse and tree complexity but the code was buggy and slow. I decided to rip that out and replace it with a much simpler calculation. I may take another stab at it in the future.

TLDR: Depth is not an accurate way to measure difficulty, and take onetech’s difficulty rating with a grain of salt.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#5 2018-12-07 15:29:39

Tramax

GreatShawn wrote:

Not true, the belltower is a great example as it takes just over three hours for three steps to be completed. Meanwhile, the steps required to cut reeds is also three but can take less than a minute. There is no correlation between steps and time.

But then again I'm white so you may not have noticed the lack of a correlation - white people are pretty smart after all... ( tongue just riffing on your tendency to cite the fact that you are asian as some inherent genius-making trait)

Last edited by Tramax (2018-12-07 15:33:00)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#6 2018-12-08 04:01:03

GreatShawn

Tramax wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

Not true, the belltower is a great example as it takes just over three hours for three steps to be completed. Meanwhile, the steps required to cut reeds is also three but can take less than a minute. There is no correlation between steps and time.

But then again I'm white so you may not have noticed the lack of a correlation - white people are pretty smart after all... ( tongue just riffing on your tendency to cite the fact that you are asian as some inherent genius-making trait)

White supremicist! Ku Klux Klan! Don't think asian no smart! we good math at but no good english!!

#7 2018-12-08 04:42:43

wio

This thread has me thinking. It would be cool if onetech were to calculate the theoretical minimum time to create any item.

1. For spawned entities, the minimum time would be zero. A more realistic alternative is to use spawn frequency to determine some expected amount of time to find said resource.

2. For output entities, the minimum time would be the minimum time of its transitions. This means transitions themselves would have a minimum time, though it wouldn't need to be visible. The idea is that a bowl of water obtained from a pond would would be chosen over a bowl of water obtained from a bucket from a Newcomen well.

3. For any transition, the minimum time it takes is the maximum of its non-timer input entities, plus its timer inputs. The idea is that the inputs could be crafted in parallel, meaning the minimum time is decided by the entity taking the longest time to craft. Since timers can't be accomplished in parallel, they would need to be added.

4. The hand could be treated as a sort of timer input, though I'm not sure what it's duration would be. This would ensure that crafting depth is not completely ignored, and take into account there is an animation time spent when it comes to using items.

This would be a slightly better way to measure difficulty. I know it's not that important of a feature, but it seems like implementation wouldn't be too hard.

#8 2018-12-08 08:13:02

Tramax

GreatShawn wrote:

White supremicist! Ku Klux Klan! Don't think asian no smart! we good math at but no good english!!

This was the best response you could've made big_smile

Thank you for that.

And yeah that  would be a really neat feature!

Last edited by Tramax (2018-12-08 08:14:41)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Board footer