One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-05 13:05:08

Vexenie

Idea: Nations in ohol and war mechanic

I was watching a show about WW2 on TV and got me thinking about countries and how they fought eachother.
I'm not suggesting real life flags like in an earlier post, but different one.

Towns and cities could be more closer for other family interaction, like trading, socializing and more.

The flags could be colored cloth, paper or whatever with patterns on them.
anyone in a family can build a flag somewhere and make a nation, though you can't remove them unless the whole family dies or a family member doesn't come to the area of effect for 30-60 min.
A flags radius is 100-200 tiles big as a square and can be increased with more flags.
It also acts as a permanent home marker for that family.

I'll post all the flags types and how to's soon on this post.

The war mechanic however, doesn't mean there will be a full on out war.
to trigger the war mechanic, you'll see a card on the top left corner if you enter a nation's ground with the same flag and status, that shows, is it at war or not.
To change the status, a murder must happen in the nation and you need to touch the flag with a weapon to declare war.
To declare war on an another nation or tribe (no flag), you'll need to know the other nations name AKA the last name of the attacker, say it and then quickly touch the flag with a weapon, or if the last name fades, say it again.

If a war has been declared, both nation's people will hear a gunshot and a war home marker will appear.
The war marker's arrow will be red colored.
Instead showing the way home, it shows the way to the enemy nation's flag or flags.

To declare peace, a person must say: "We declare peace" while holding a rose (IDK why I chose rose, maybe because I don't want people just saying peace declarations at flags)

If a family dies, the flag will disappear and can be replaced with another flag.

Items:
Cloths will be made by sewing a ball of thread with a full ball of thread with needle.
To make patterns, you need to use different items like bowls, skewers and else.
To make more variety, new colors should be added.

flag posts are needed to hang flags, which are made from two long shafts of which one of them is tied.
These CAN be removed.

Fockin' guns (maybe):
a simple actual gun can be a flintlock or musket, which need a iron ball with gunpowder, so people wouldn't go guns blazing.
The bullets can be removed with metal tongs (which is made with two BLANK blades, hammered together) and sewn up.

Armor:
To make people more resilient, armor should be made by making a vulcanized rubber chest plates or something.

Interface:
A card will pop up on the top left corner with a nation's flag and status.
other nations will only see status as: "At war", but the fighting nations will see: "War enemy"
Under the flag is the nation's name.
If the nation is at war with two other nations, to declare peace, you'll need to say "We declare peace to ___"

I know this post is really stupid, but just an idea I had.

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2018-12-05 13:19:56

lionon

Re: Idea: Nations in ohol and war mechanic

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, *breath in*, no, no, no, no

This would totally alter the feel of this game.

#3 2018-12-05 13:24:12

Ellesanna

Yeah. Right now war mechanics would just give power to trolls and griefers and encourage massacres. Maybe later on as things progress there can be some mechanics made for the express purpose of war but not now or anytime soon.

#4 2018-12-05 13:42:49

Vexenie

CMySLze.png

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#5 2018-12-05 14:07:20

MultiLife

Why are people so keen on getting war in OHOL? There are so many great games about war. Games that are built for it.
I hope Jason sticks to the "if you want a builder, go and play Minecraft" mindset when it comes down to war.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-05 14:08:33)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-12-05 14:20:56

lionon

MultiLife wrote:

Why are people so keen on getting war in OHOL? There are so many great games about war. Games that are built for it.
I hope Jason sticks to the "if you want a builder, go and play Minecraft" mindset when it comes down to war.

Yup, if you want to play war, go and play PUBG or fortnite (battle royal) or I don't what they are all called.

I really don't like the tech tree go onto developing UZIs, tanks, air bombers, ICBM nukes, autonomous killer drones, "extended interrogation" waterboarding.. *sigh*

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-05 14:21:14)

#7 2018-12-05 14:34:07

Tarr
Banned

If you want actual war and nations go play 2hol. We can't even get fully fledged villages on the main server to last longer than two days. How in the world  are you supposed to uphold a nation when villages are passed around like eve to eve.

Game just doesn't support people staying in one spot to have any sort of actual war. Just enjoy the treat of the occasional fighting cities as that's not the actual focus point of the game.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-05 22:16:56)

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-12-05 14:59:52

JonySky
Website

leave the war for war games or create a mod, but do not incorporate war in OHOL .... this game is not for that ... enjoy the creation of families and family ties, and if this does not satisfy you, go to Battlefield V

#9 2018-12-05 21:56:01

Booklat1

im okay with warfare, but as usual i'm not ok with design that doesn't belong in ohol.

#10 2018-12-06 15:17:24

disoculated

Are you trying to make up reasons to murder?  So you can murder and not feel bad?  What gain does anyone get from murder now in OHOL except grief and justice?  It's not like there's a property ownership mechanic other than what you carry.

#11 2018-12-06 15:28:23

Booklat1

disoculated wrote:

Are you trying to make up reasons to murder?  So you can murder and not feel bad?  What gain does anyone get from murder now in OHOL except grief and justice?  It's not like there's a property ownership mechanic other than what you carry.

locks and keys

#12 2018-12-06 23:45:54

GreatShawn

btw venexie, that pic is imo, terrible.

#13 2018-12-07 20:07:53

Kinrany

Nations do not exist outside human brains.  They should be invented by players, not by the universe.

Instead we need a way to automate talking.

For example, notes could be used to remember phrases.  You'd read a note that says "g $1 -> $1 is a griefer!", and then you'd be able to say "Anita is a griefer!" by typing "g Anita".

For another example, you'd be able to type "n", and it would translate into "I am from the nation of The Southern Lake".

This could even be used to let children use longer, but fixed phrases.  Children lack the experience to form complicated ideas, but they're just as smart and can learn existing ideas just fine.

Board footer