One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-28 18:13:53

Pastah

Bulletin Boards NEEDED ASAP

My story from playing yesterday:
I have seen many civs get destroyed due to the majority of players being completely new or being a general beginner. For instance they would waste all the soil on berries and munch 5 berry bushes in one go as a teen & adult. This leads to huge problems like lack of soil for wheat and also carrots. I had a game yesterday where all the wheat was cut down so no seeds could be produced and all wheat and compost was used up, there were no more carrots left over, the shovel was missing/destroyed, and only left over grain and berries were there to sustain the civ. The players kept eating berries and wasting soil on berry bushes where there were like 60 bushes. I desperately tried bringing soil for wheat but they kept taking it to berry bushes NONSTOP. Also the shovel was missing or broken and the civ had no iron or steel to make another shovel. So to fix the civ I solo farmed carrots by grabbing soil from afar to a discrete place and then tamed a horse where we had a wagon and carrots seeds thankfully, then got more soil and grabbed wheat seeds from afar and solo farmed wheat in a discrete place, then went all over looking for iron to make a shovel. It took my entire life to fix this civ but I managed to get the wheat and carrots restarted and obtain least one iron ore for a shovel.

The main message:
The point of this story is that we desperately need a way to tell players not what to do so civs don't get destroyed due to unintentional griefing. So I beg of the dev to add bulletin boards AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. A way to pin papers to signs so we can write general rules/laws such as: "Farm wheat first, carrots second, then berries" and "ONLY EAT BERRIES IF CHILD OR ELDER, else eat pie". This would immensely help civs so much. Letters are too much work to make and notes could be misplaced or just not read from being on the ground. Which is why bulletin boards are needed, it makes it noticeable and desirable to read since it looks important. It's also impossible for me to teach and lead players in the civ if I have to do all the jobs such as smithing + farming + composting + baking, where I also don't have time to moderate what players are doing since the civ is about to collapse without me.

Please dev, add bulletin boards ASAP.

Edit: I just realized that notes can't be fully read if you're not old enough to say long enough things. This also needs to be fixed since it's pointless for old people for passing on notes if people can't read the full message due to character limit when talking due to your age.

Last edited by Pastah (2018-11-29 23:31:30)

#2 2018-11-28 18:25:14

hailey

Re: Bulletin Boards NEEDED ASAP

+1 I think this would be very beneficial but I’m sure something like this could easily be ruined by someone taking off the note or messing with it and putting nonsense up

| Eve Willow |

#3 2018-11-28 18:49:07

Floofy

Tbh when i get civ mates that know how to farm and how to eat food, i am VERY happy. I can easily handle planting the other seeds, bringing soil, and handling the forge. My issue is i constantly get players who can't even eat food when its all over the place. They die like flies for no reasons at all. Its really frustrating.

#4 2018-11-28 19:37:27

lionon

hailey wrote:

+1 I think this would be very beneficial but I’m sure something like this could easily be ruined by someone taking off the note or messing with it and putting nonsense up

Which is the state with notes right now. Also their content is too short.

Bulletin boards, engraving into wood boards (like the vikings did), engraving onto stone, all would be nice with a somewhat more complicated process to remove it (like using a pickaxe, a saw or so).

And writing a word on the signs as it is right now is albeit a very cute game mechanic, but setting up a sign is almost a lifes work..

#5 2018-11-28 19:55:24

WomanWizard

We need town criers. Someone wearing a backpack full of notes with generic noob advice who periodically runs through the berry fields and reads them.

#6 2018-11-28 20:31:50

lionon

WomanWizard wrote:

We need town criers. Someone wearing a backpack full of notes with generic noob advice who periodically runs through the berry fields and reads them.

Haha smile I just imagine receiving that job from my mother. You gonna be a towncrier LIKE ME! HEARYA HEARYA. STOP EATING BERRIES, GOTO BACKERY!

Last edited by lionon (2018-11-28 20:32:09)

#7 2018-11-28 20:45:11

Gederian

I like to leave messages near important things like dropping a "Seed and plant all crops, not just berries" note in the berry field and a "Don't sheer the last sheep or it won't make babies" in the sheep pen.

My favorite is leaving a "Curse Joe - He is a greifer" note in the town center.

#8 2018-11-28 21:20:39

Lum

Just add a way to put a paper on a sign, click it and you can read it (inside the character limit of your age), remove it with a tool. Seems easy enough to implement, except maybe for the part where you should be able to click it without picking it up

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#9 2018-11-29 02:44:35

Ellesanna

I think this is an excellent idea. Maybe there wouldn't be a bulletin board but a giant rock you carve rules into, but also the names of people and their titles and stories. That was lots of cavemen did, paint on cave walls and leave behind stories, why not in OHOL? I would've loved to have been able to write stories about how to take care of griefers and other moral tales about how to be an effective farmer or baker. You could also write personal tales about how you survived a massive food shortage due to a baby boom and create a village/family history- which in turn makes your family/town special and unique.

#10 2018-11-29 19:16:38

Gederian

Would be just as great if signs weren't so expensive since many people won't pick up the paper and signs will be read by all.

Maybe if the first step of making a letter stock is to stab a straight shaft which gives unlimited letter stock. Making the letters is hard enough...

I also like the idea of painting signs since this is realistically stone age. Bonus for supporting glyphs like a picture of a bunny with an arrow.

#11 2018-11-29 23:30:47

Pastah

I just realized that notes can't be fully read if you're not old enough to say long enough things. This also needs to be fixed since it's pointless for old people for passing on knowledge if people can't read the full message.

#12 2018-11-29 23:38:38

Stormyzabeast

Pastah wrote:

I just realized that notes can't be fully read if you're not old enough to say long enough things. This also needs to be fixed since it's pointless for old people for passing on knowledge if people can't read the full message.

I didn't realize that either. Now I know why it was always gibberish!

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

Board footer