One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-11-27 14:38:20

Stormyzabeast

Re: List of infinite, zero-input food sources?

CrazyEddie wrote:

Prior to bananas, getting a settlement up and running was a knife-edge challenge (which is great!). A hopeless task for a newbie, but just barely doable with some experience. The main dynamic is that until you get a well-run farm going, you have JUST ENOUGH natural food to carry you through - but you can feel the time pressure as you see it running out. You have to go further afield to get what you need, which itself adds to the time pressure since it takes you longer to get anything done.

Every now and then you run across a sizeable cache of food - a cluster of cacti with fruit, a new grasslands area with berry bushes - and a wave of relief passes over you as you realize you've bought a little more time. Getting the kiln up and making plates opens up omelettes and marks a major milestone; you're not out of the woods, and it has trade-offs, but it represents a big breakthrough and grants a well-earned respite.

This is awesome gameplay.

Bananas are so filling, so plentiful, and so quick to regrow that it basically takes all the pressure off. It's no longer a knife-edge challenge. And you can take advantage of it immediately without any precursor technology (like plates). This is not awesome gameplay.

I wouldn't want to see a nerf to berries, cacti, eggs, and rabbits, or to the quantities of the non-respawning foods. They seem to be just right. Bananas are the outlier to be fixed. I like that they're high-reward and high-risk, or at least are supposed to be. But we the players have figured out how to minimize the risk while reaping the reward, which makes the mosquitos annoying and disruptive rather than dangerous. I'm not sure how to fix that.

You said it perfectly

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#52 2018-11-27 23:51:03

desertsyd

jasonrohrer wrote:

bananas being endless food sources

maybe have a portion of soil is required to start the fruiting timer?

#53 2018-11-28 00:20:12

Monolith_Rans

Keks wrote:

Just like Salt water bowls.

Dump salt water bowl back into the ice hole.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#54 2018-11-28 16:37:06

Jadelink

Agree strongly on the need to dump useless bowl contents.  Not being able to do so makes no sense.  Currently its mostly done by useless newbies who dont realise we have zero use in practice for bowls of oil palm kernels, but once greifers realise how easy it is to destroy the entire bowl supply of a city...

Jungles aren't all THAT easy.   Yes, -I- can survive forever in the jungle, and have done so for several lifetimes, I have no problems raising a full batch of kids there, the problem is that most of the kids die.  I have raised 4 entire broods now (keeping them all) in jungles rich in bananas.  I have never had more than three reach adulthood, normally less than that.   And this is with me explaining fever, and cures and feeding the stupid fever victims repeatedly.

#55 2018-11-28 17:05:58

Floofy

Jadelink wrote:

Agree strongly on the need to dump useless bowl contents.  Not being able to do so makes no sense.  Currently its mostly done by useless newbies who dont realise we have zero use in practice for bowls of oil palm kernels, but once greifers realise how easy it is to destroy the entire bowl supply of a city...

Jungles aren't all THAT easy.   Yes, -I- can survive forever in the jungle, and have done so for several lifetimes, I have no problems raising a full batch of kids there, the problem is that most of the kids die.  I have raised 4 entire broods now (keeping them all) in jungles rich in bananas.  I have never had more than three reach adulthood, normally less than that.   And this is with me explaining fever, and cures and feeding the stupid fever victims repeatedly.

Similar experience here. And i actually CAN keep them alive, but as soon as i die, everything collapse...

#56 2018-11-29 01:35:33

Jadelink

I would love to see random RESPAWNS of those non renewable food plants in their biomes.  Not a lot, but enough that if you let a century pass, a biome wont still be stripped of wild carrots and burdock.  Weeds just ...spring up, from an agrarian perspective.

If we get that, then im all in favour of slower respawn of goose eggs and bananas (or more fairly, shorter rot time for them, so you cant stockpile a generation worth of banans as food and have it last for an hour, while the trees reswpawn).

It would also be good if seals were made carvable and edible, roasted seal meat is a fine thing, and a seal should provide as much as a sheep.

I do think there might be a bit more surface iron, as it's very rare to have a place with enough surface iron to actually get to Iron mining tech, and with griefers and newbie smiths around it gets nearly impossible, and we seldom get beyond an initial iron age village that is unable to exploit an iron deposit due to lack of iron.

Last edited by Jadelink (2018-11-29 05:52:46)

#57 2018-11-29 08:06:51

lionon

Jadelink wrote:

I would love to see random RESPAWNS of those non renewable food plants in their biomes.  Not a lot, but enough that if you let a century pass

I read any areas that are not seen by a player for one real week are reset to their natural random seed based generation state including reset of wild carrots, bananas etc.

Since 1 hour is 60 years. This would not be a century but 10.000 in game years. And a single player striving through would reset the timer...

#58 2018-11-29 16:13:02

Jadelink

lionon wrote:
Jadelink wrote:

I would love to see random RESPAWNS of those non renewable food plants in their biomes.  Not a lot, but enough that if you let a century pass

I read any areas that are not seen by a player for one real week are reset to their natural random seed based generation state including reset of wild carrots, bananas etc.

Since 1 hour is 60 years. This would not be a century but 10.000 in game years. And a single player striving through would reset the timer...

Thanks for that, I didnt know.
Mmm, I had in mind closer to a lifetime, maybe two, perhaps every 100 mins or so.  Enough so that your great grandchildren might find some oneday.

Board footer