One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 00:36:01

ronpaulbot1128

Wont open/unplayable

Downloaded the game multiple times, extracted the game each time and it wont open. one of two things happens.

1. the game can not be opened because it is "read only"

2.the execution can not proceed because SDL.dll can not be found. (I am looking at that ext file right now so its there it just cant find it)

I am tired of reinstalling the program to run into the same issue time and time again.

friend is having the same issue, the game was working just fine 2 days ago.

#2 2018-03-18 00:43:20

Helperguy

Re: Wont open/unplayable

Please open dataVersionNumber.txt from the game folder and tell us the version number.

#3 2018-03-18 02:42:21

Where are you putting the game files? That's seems to be cause of these non-executable file errors. (I don't actually have a Windows machine, so can't confirm.

See https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 2386#p2386 for the solution.

#4 2018-03-18 04:29:35

Ad4m42

I'm having the exact same issue. All Windows 10 folders unfortunately default to read-only and don't allow you to change that status, regardless of privileges. My game would update fine until recently.

#5 2018-03-18 06:27:05

Twinsen

Ad4m42 wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue. All Windows 10 folders unfortunately default to read-only and don't allow you to change that status, regardless of privileges. My game would update fine until recently.

That's like the weirdest thing I have ever heard... considered that you already mention "regardless of privileges", I am sure that you have already tried Administrator access, which should pretty much allows you to do anything unless your anti-virus programs gave you another layer of headache; therefore, are you sure that it's really Win10 making you miserable or the anti-virus that just outright delete the file?

#6 2018-05-22 21:11:01

imaDIVA

I'm having somewhat of the same problem.
I just paid and downloaded the extractor and extracted the game onto my computer today (Windows 10).
I've tried all that I could read online to help in making it work but I still can't make it seem to work... *cries*

I'm not even sure if it's the read-only problem but it does seem like my computer just keeps rechecking it every time I uncheck it.

I run the exe. and all I get is a black scree without any errors or anything, any others having this same issue?
Please someone help lol I really wanna play this game because it looks fun and it's not cheap haha

#7 2018-05-22 21:43:38

imaDIVA

UPDATE:
Somehow after unchecking and running it as admin it worked. BUTTTTT it only works with 640x480 Screen resolution. Idk if thats just how it is or whatever but yeah...

#8 2018-05-23 01:04:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sounds like your game is NOT running inside its own folder somehow.  If it can't find the DLL, etc.

Make sure you double-click the game from inside it's folder, and not from some kind of shortcut menu.

If you are seeing a black screen at launch, that's probably a different issue.  Try running the game in windowed mode as a sanity check.  Open settings/fullscreen.ini with Notepad and save a 0 into that file.

#9 2018-05-23 03:49:39

YAHG

Twinsen wrote:
Ad4m42 wrote:

That's like the weirdest thing I have ever heard... considered that you already mention "regardless of privileges", I am sure that you have already tried Administrator access, which should pretty much allows you to do anything unless your anti-virus programs gave you another layer of headache; therefore, are you sure that it's really Win10 making you miserable or the anti-virus that just outright delete the file?

Just as general practice you don't want to install things in "programs" as it is annoying as hell
to get it to stop setting it to read-only over and over and over again. I just put it all in a games
folder I put in C. Windows 10 is rough but sadly so many games need it.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer