One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-25 08:02:35

acidbase

controller support?

this game is great.
i have an xbox 360 controller however and that is how i enjoy playing games so i moded controller support into the game.

the controls are roughly as such:
    -d-pad moves one grid square in 8 possible directions (holding a direction continues jerky movement until release)
    -left thumbstick runs in the direction pointed until release.
    -right thumbstick moves mouse around and L/R buttons left/right click.
    -a button is pickup/interact.
    -b button is drop.
    -x button is click on self.
    -y button is click on backpack.
    *holding down one of the above four buttons and pressing a direction on the dpad
     will execute that button's action on the neighbouring grid square.

it is finicky (buttons just simulate a click on the grid location where the desired action is likely to occur) and could be improved but it is usable i think.

would anyone else find this useful?

https://github.com/cerealbox/OneLife
https://github.com/cerealbox/minorGems

Last edited by acidbase (2018-11-25 08:03:59)

#2 2018-11-25 08:56:01

Psykout

Re: controller support?

This just sounds like an overpriced kitchen gadget.... Yeah you can get a slap chop.... or just learn how to dice by hand instead of buying something that can do ONE AND ONLY ONE thing. I mean sure I could play this game using my Oculus Rift on a 15' screen, but whats the point?

I will give you a hefyt golf clap for mapping this much to a controller, but there is no way it comes anywhere near the efficiency of M/KB. How fast are your interactions? Can you dodge incoming unseen animals easily? Can you do adequate forge firings (like more than a couple tools in one go)

Were you the guy I saw yesterday use one charcoal per Iron/Steel/Tool? Joking but for real, one charcoal to make the bar, one charcoal for the crucible, one charcoal to make the hammer head and so on... I have never wanted a cigarette more in my life than this moment. 3 Generations of kids running around - every tree for miles picked, and we still don't have an axe. He single-handedly killed the whole village by doing this - are you jeopardizing your fellow citizens by doing this?

To me this sounds like someone saying "Yo dude I figured out how to play Starcraft 2 with a controller!" to which my response would be "I am sickened, but curious." Please satisfy my curiosity, why did you do this (As in what part of the normal way of interacting did you not like that you went through these efforts) and can you make a video showing what it looks like in game?

#3 2018-11-25 09:10:20

acidbase

sorry, i should have been more clear, i am not promoting using a controller over a mouse, i just personally prefer it because i find excessive mouse usage to cause me RSI problems.

interactions on nearby squares can be fast.  i can often dodge animals.
i agree, though, it is an inferior way to play the game.

hahahahah...no, that was not me making tools inefficiently.  i am a newer player and don't even know how to make tools yet.

Last edited by acidbase (2018-11-25 09:25:18)

#4 2018-11-25 09:34:25

Psykout

Understandable if you have physical limitations, as I said, curious not appalled. Smithing has 30 second windows, the length of the fire in kilns(for pottery like bowls and plates) and forges (for smelting Iron Ore into steel ingots and then into tools). The more you can do in that window saves the resources you consume to fire it. So not being able to make precise and quick actions really cut down on your output. Experienced players can make like 6+ tools in a single 30 second window, others putting out three is challenging.

I would suppose that if you are emulating, both the keyboard and controller could be used in conjunction to alleviate this as well as saving your physical dexterity and comfort. Hard for me to speculate, I have never had discomfort from using a computer, then again I started using them when I was three, so my body has adapted. Heck my pisiform on my mouse hand is what I plant on the desk and pivot off of, after 25+ years of gaming, that bone is significantly larger than on my opposite hand.

#5 2018-11-25 19:50:58

CrazyEddie

"Here, I did something I like, maybe it will be helpful to you too."

HAHA YOU SUCK GET REKD NOOB

#6 2018-11-25 20:14:04

Tarr
Banned

Not going to lie that's pretty interesting. Not sure how viable using a controller like that is but it's certainly interesting tongue

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-11-25 20:20:27

CrazyEddie

FTR this is awesome. I wouldn't use it myself, but it's great that you did the work to make it possible.

When I saw the thread title ("Controller support?") I said to myself "Oh, someone's asking for controller support? Yeah, sorry, not likely to happen, better get used to the mouse", and then when I saw that you weren't asking for it but offering it and had already done it I did a shamefaced double-take. Kudos to you, and to Jason for open-sourcing the game.

#8 2018-11-26 08:38:44

mikekchar

There used to be a patch around for using WASD to move around.  The problem is Jason said that he intentionally made the client base movement on location rather than direction so that it didn't overwhelm the server with requests for movement.  In other words, with the mouse, you click on a location and go there.  It's one message to the server (Player 5 is going to location X,Y).  If you are going WASD, you send a message to the server for each tile you go to.

However (and I haven't checked the source code), currently the client will go in a certain direction continuously if you click and hold on the edge of the screen.  When you stop holding it stops moving.  So I assume this is kind of a compromise -- 2 messages (one to start moving in a direction and one to stop).  Assuming I'm right, you should be able to use that for your controller.  I've been meaning to remake the WASD mod, but haven't had time.  I'm hoping it's something that eventually makes its way into the base game because playing on a track pad is no fun ;-)  (I do not own a mouse because I almost never use one).

#9 2018-11-26 10:32:03

acidbase

i put in both movement options:
the d-pad moves in one grid increments.
the left thumbstick runs by simulating click-dragging.

#10 2018-11-26 15:32:10

gabal

I have a controller and love it but I don't think I would enjoy playing OHOL with it. Nice of you to offer it though.

Board footer