One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-24 04:42:33

Gederian

Full Screen In Game onetech info Crafting Guide

Just want to suggest that commands like /hatchet bring up pages like https://onetech.info/71-Stone-Hatchet in game and allow you to navigate objects the same way as the website. Ideally while listening to health/surroundings and maybe a light opacity so you can still see what's going on and maybe even navigate if you click outside the craft buttons.

#2 2018-11-24 05:36:28

CrazyEddie

Re: Full Screen In Game onetech info Crafting Guide

I think the limited amount of information you get in the client is appropriate. Jason calls it a "hint" screen. If you want to see the whole tech tree and learn it all by reading, use your browser.

#3 2018-11-24 05:52:02

Azrael

Imma have to agree with the noobie on this one, but not for the same reasons.

The clients that we all use and the servers we play on are made and provided by jason himself, the family tree option is also created and periodically updated by jason. Onetech on the contrary is run by another person and is independant from jasons endevours. Jason cant guarantee that the website is 100% reliable and will update instantly, and wont add it as it is most likely not directly supported by him.

Simply put, ryanb runs onetech and jason doesnt control the website, theres no way he'll add it to the game.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#4 2018-11-24 06:58:32

Gederian

It wouldn't be the actual website! It would be a custom in game interface but function much like the website in terms of how easy it is to use to accomplish a goal like /compost. Most players go AFK to use the website and even pros do it for updates.

You basically MUST leave the game in order to learn the game which is a terrible gaming experience.

#5 2018-11-24 07:34:55

Psykout

Once you learn it though you should have it. I have never learned something in the game one day and forgotten it the next. With how repetitive and hands on the tasks are, spending say one life learning baking and being the town baker, you should remember how to replicate that with maybe one absent minded hiccup. I understand a new player feeling frustrated about how much information is not handed to you in game (especially if Mom's aren't teaching) but remind yourself that once you know it, you as a person have leveled up.

My advice, notebook and paper. Anything you feel like you don't well go figure it out on the wiki/onetech, write yourself some off hand notes for quick reference. Purely the act of writing it down shorthand will probably make it stick. If this just doesn't work - fullscreen borderless with a second monitor does wonders. The learning curve isn't a con, its a feature of the game. You are meant to learn something every play through and through other people. Onetech is a great resource but still a crutch, you are meant to walk without it most of your time.

#6 2018-11-24 08:13:46

Azrael

Writing it down lol no don't do that, just accept the fact that Jason won't give us more than that small tab bar. other than speaking to ppl, watching them, and the tab, thats all the ingame help you got.

It's not a possibility to be able to include such a link, not possible as in Jason simply won't add it anytime soon.

So take a day off or an hour, and memorize the wiki or onetech, get familiar because that's all we got.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#7 2018-11-24 08:57:14

Psykout

I am not saying write down every recipe in the game and paste in on your wall with colored threads (kind of actually want to now see this) But if every time you go to start up a Kiln into Forge into a round of tools you are forgetting something crucial, having a list of what you need initally (such as X straight shafts, X ropes etc) can help. The thread is about information retention and I am offering tried and true methods for that. When writing something down to remember it later, the act of writing helps it stay in your head, having the physical reference is the other half. These days information is always at our fingertips and to suddenly run into a game that doesn't offer that, can be off putting. Instead of changing the game, approach from a different direction. I am not saying go teach yourself how to use a rolodex, just find a pen/pencil and a piece of scratch paper if its that hard.

#8 2018-11-24 09:07:48

Gederian

I guess in the end I'm suggesting what many others have suggested (and led to a recent update) to improve the crafting tips. I'm just saying I don't think the tips UX is quite there yet. Something based on ontech design would be a better start where you say what you want and can work backwards up and down trees but I'm sure an in game one can be even better.

I believe the act of going through ontech is hard enough, it doesn't need to be harder than that to learn in game. Imagine when the number of objects are 1000x and you're a new player.

Really, the key parts of the suggestion is full screen and navigable, don't be shy about showing details when asked!

#9 2018-11-24 09:26:48

CrazyEddie

You definitely do not need to go outside to learn the game. Part of the intention of the game (originally, before there was the wiki or onetech) was to learn the game ONLY in the game.

I've learned almost everything I know by asking other players in-game and by reading the hints.

I'm not saying everyone has to do that, or that everyone should do that, but a) it's definitely possible, and b) some people prefer it. And I think that Jason would prefer that it be the main way people learn, and that learning the game by just reading an instruction manual should take some outside-the-game effort.

#10 2018-11-24 09:46:23

Psykout

Gederian wrote:

I guess in the end I'm suggesting what many others have suggested (and led to a recent update) to improve the crafting tips. I'm just saying I don't think the tips UX is quite there yet. Something based on ontech design would be a better start where you say what you want and can work backwards up and down trees but I'm sure an in game one can be even better.

I believe the act of going through ontech is hard enough, it doesn't need to be harder than that to learn in game. Imagine when the number of objects are 1000x and you're a new player.

Really, the key parts of the suggestion is full screen and navigable, don't be shy about showing details when asked!

One, when objects are in the tens of thousands, new players would still end up learning them piece by piece as they tech up, at no point do you need to know every recipe when you get in the game.

Second, this addition would only exacerbate the issue of people being afk while going to onetech (I swear you mentioned that, edits or different post....) More people would end up standing there looking through this utility that covers up the screen. Transparent or not, people would not be focusing on the game as well if it were open.

Part of the game is passing of information and communication, this is a step backwards from that ideology.

#11 2018-11-24 22:58:50

Gederian

CrazyEddie wrote:

I've learned almost everything I know by asking other players in-game and by reading the hints.

And those that taught you probably got those recipes from onetech.info like I do.

- OneTech has been around within a month or so of the release, it's always been there for me.

- People would not be AFK longer as it would be easier to learn to craft and once you learn you don't really need it.

Jason changes his mind all the time like when I (and others) suggested signs https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=827 and a moderator said it ain't going to happen. A month later we had signs and a month or so after that we had paper. His big push on launch of this game was basically screw Steam but here we are (I love the steam player flood)! Just because Jason says he is against something does not mean people should stop suggesting it.

I just don't think the interesting part of the game is learning the recipes, it's knowing them and trying to use them to provide for my family.

Last edited by Gederian (2018-11-24 22:59:31)

#12 2018-11-25 00:03:21

ryanb
Website

Have you tried the mobile version of OHOL? It has a built in tech tree browser. Kind of like a simplified onetech. It only takes up a part of the screen on the iPad so I think you could integrate it in the desktop version without overlaying the full screen.

I saw a lot of confusion on twitch streams on how to use the /hatchet searching. Perhaps, instead, this would show you the last step of crafting the hatchet with the ability to click an item in the recipe to see how to craft that. This way you can drill out to see how to craft something.

That said, I think the game should continue to have a strong emphasis on learning through word of mouth and “let me show you” style. This is part of the magic of OHOL.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#13 2018-11-25 19:50:19

Gederian

Hi Ryan - thanks for chiming in. I love onetech! I have not tried the mobile version, I will give it a try though.

I think you nailed the key frustration many new players are having which is what made me want to start this thread, the inability to toggle up and down the tree makes it almost impossible to use. I love the "let me show you" dynamic as well and I doubt a good in game guide will impact that as learning by showing will still be infinity easier.

Maybe we can craft a recipe book in game and when you pick up the book you go full screen craft guide. This would even be a town focal point where people meet to discuss crafting and help each other (and fight over the book). A fancy podium for the book would also be necessary.

Whatever the solution, I do believe the in game tips can be improved without hurting any other game dynamics so people that want to learn fundamental aspects of the game can without having to keep leaving the game.

#14 2018-11-25 21:14:46

ryanb
Website

Gederian wrote:

Maybe we can craft a recipe book in game and when you pick up the book you go full screen craft guide. This would even be a town focal point where people meet to discuss crafting and help each other (and fight over the book). A fancy podium for the book would also be necessary.

I like that idea, there's a lot you can do with a recipe book. You could start with a blank crafting book and apply a charcoal pencil to it to write down all crafting recipes you've done in that life. This could be a goal for a village to get as many recipes written down as they can, joining together farmers, hunters, builders, smiths, etc. to write in the book. It also makes a very valuable but fragile item which can be stole and cause drama. Interesting.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

Board footer