One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-22 19:08:57

Floofy

Tips for beginners

With the large influx of new players, i decided to make a small guide for beginners. It only focus on what really matters, so that your play is decent enough to survive and carry on your line.

Baby Phase

• Always say "F" when you are down to 2 food bar. This allows your mother enough time to pick you up

• Try your best to keep your temperature in the middle. Use fires, or deserts, or jungle. This will save precious food for your mother, since she use 1 food every time she picks you up

• Stay near your mother unless she gives a different instruction.

• If you see your mother has issues picking you up, move 1 tile

• Don't move constantly after saying F, makes it harder to pick you up

Child Phase

• Stay near your family's berry farm. Don't go away from the town

• Do not waste the family's food. Only eat when you need it. But don't wait for 1 bar left, always be safe.

• Help your family with the farm. Its the easiest job for newcomers, and a really good one as a child. Its a very important one too.

Adults

• A single "nurse" is enough. Either let your sisters do the nurse job (and act like a Male Adult), or be the family's nurse.

• If you are the nurse, make sure all childs understand how to say F and stay warm. Stay near a warm spot. Focus on keeping the babies alive. Its a very important role

• If you aren't the nurse, or you are a male, focus on tasks you know how to do. Towns almost always need an efficient farmer. Or simply bring basic ressources to the town. There is always something simple and usefull to do. Don't bother trying to do the complex tasks such as making compost, leave that to people who can do it efficiently. DO NOT just stand there chatting or watching people do a task

TLDR: The most important is to stay alive, keep the next generation alive, and make sure the most important tasks such as farming are being done. The tech advancements will be handled by people who knows how to do it. With time, you will learn it too.

#2 2018-11-22 19:21:51

arkajalka

Re: Tips for beginners

Imo, it's totaly fine to just watch and munch edibles(with variation!) if you are trying to learn how to do more compilcated tasks. Its much more easier to teach by showing rather than typing out a novel while controling every other aspect of the game.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2018-11-22 19:28:00

Floofy

arkajalka wrote:

Imo, it's totaly fine to just watch and munch edibles(with variation!) if you are trying to learn how to do more compilcated tasks. Its much more easier to teach by showing rather than typing out a novel while controling every other aspect of the game.

Actually, that's the exact point of this post, to discourage people from doing that. I often have like 2-3 people watch me smith while doing nothing else. Then by the time i'm done actually smiting my shovel and my hoe, none of them actually understood anything, and the farm wasn't handled by anybody and we all die of starvation.

I think its better if new players take the time to learn things slowly.
Look at the wiki, learn something new, apply it in a few games, look at wiki again, etc.
Standing there doing nothing watching experienced people do advanced tasks at high speed doesn't seem to work well for learning.

But you are right, asking the experienced player to write a novel is even worst. Then you're all standing there doing nothing.

Last edited by Floofy (2018-11-22 19:28:22)

#4 2018-11-22 20:04:55

arkajalka

Ye for sure you have to regodnize the right oportunity to learn things. In an eve camp you must be working to produce somekinda food (or nomad rope/iron runs)for the community so the smiths can smith, sheep hearders can build the pens and obtain bows and carrot berry bowls.

So i'd say the most important tip for newbies is to regodnize where you can learn a new high tech task...       

in a big booming city

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#5 2018-11-22 20:14:38

Nopik

Or the tutorial. It is a great place to learn how to Smith with no pressure.

#6 2018-11-22 20:16:22

Floofy

arkajalka wrote:

So i'd say the most important tip for newbies is to regodnize where you can learn a new high tech task...

Again i disagree. For example, in my case, i still don't fully master how to build a stanchion kit. So instead of spending 10 min in a game doing nothing other than follow someone around and try to understand how hes making one, and literally cause that town to starve, i'm simply gonna study the wiki that explains how to make one, and try to apply what i learned in an actual game.

A good analogy would be, let's say i want to learn programmation. I'm not gonna get hired by a company, stand behind someone, and try to understand what he's doing. i'm gonna buy a book, and learn how to program, and then try it myself.

#7 2018-11-22 20:18:15

Floofy

Nopik wrote:

Or the tutorial. It is a great place to learn how to Smith with no pressure.

I mean, you're not wrong, but there is so much to learn in this game... learning to do everything in the tutorial would be painfully boring. I prefer to understand the concept from wiki, and then try it in a game, while also keeping the page open in case i forget parts of it. But your suggestion is clearly way better than "idle in a game and watch other people play while leeching off their foods".

#8 2018-11-22 20:31:09

lionon

Often I read up one a new task to learn and do in my next life...before starting the life. So I read all the steps it takes for backpack... and then I make one.. most towns can use it anyway and if not doesn't.

It only doesn't always work fine... for example I think I can build an oven base pen by now. However most villages either had one, or were way beyond that needing basic clothing. I don't like to attempt that without a backpack and some basic isolation....

#9 2018-11-22 21:22:44

Catfive

Post it to steam/reddit Floofy, could be some people will learn a few things not to do, or to do smile

Last edited by Catfive (2018-11-22 21:23:00)

#10 2018-11-23 05:56:59

Azrael

floofy you're a noobie yourself, how could you know what's good for beginners? I've seen too many "guides" on the forums and instructions from new players who still dont know all the advanced portions of the game or even all the starting things.

Making kids do jobs they don't know is a horrible way to teach them, when I played recently, I made sure to show step by step how to do everything, even if they were sponges, it doesn't matter. You can't place yourself on a pedestal and expect everyone to just work without having the experience. Take time to teach, and learn all at once, telling new players to never leave berry farm isn't how we teach them.

I would just be mindful about what you post, some people actually dont understand how to do certain things and need a bit of support, I don't think this is how we do it.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#11 2018-11-23 09:01:17

Daffex

I think teaching is once of the important roles in game right now. People learn different ways, some by reading, some by doing, some by explanation.

Because of people not showing or whatever, we end up with tiny sheep pens, no tools, and massive berry farms.

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#12 2018-11-23 15:58:57

Floofy

Azrael wrote:

floofy you're a noobie yourself, how could you know what's good for beginners? I've seen too many "guides" on the forums and instructions from new players who still dont know all the advanced portions of the game or even all the starting things.

Making kids do jobs they don't know is a horrible way to teach them, when I played recently, I made sure to show step by step how to do everything, even if they were sponges, it doesn't matter. You can't place yourself on a pedestal and expect everyone to just work without having the experience. Take time to teach, and learn all at once, telling new players to never leave berry farm isn't how we teach them.

I would just be mindful about what you post, some people actually dont understand how to do certain things and need a bit of support, I don't think this is how we do it.

There are still parts of the game i don't master. But when i play, i'm pretty damn efficient at everything i do. And every days, i learn something new and become efficient at it.

I don't think you understood my post at all. "Making kids do jobs they don't know" is exactly what i want to avoid. The point of the post is i want to ask newbies to focus on the tasks they know how to do, instead of trying to learn complex tasks from veterans, which doesn't seem to work at all and only slows the veteran.

#13 2018-11-24 14:16:39

Tane

I always prefer apprenticing the newbies to someone eh.
Its way faster than actually explaining it, and they normally understand most of the skill after a single lifetime, IF they stay alive

#14 2018-11-25 20:02:25

Rebel

Tane wrote:

I always prefer apprenticing the newbies to someone eh.
Its way faster than actually explaining it, and they normally understand most of the skill after a single lifetime, IF they stay alive

This is totally the best way of doing this.

This is how we used to do it, replace yourself with a child before you die and teach them what job you were doing. Every mum should send their kids off to work on something or with someone.

"Go help great uncle hunt rabbits"

"Go help grand mum to bake"

Not only do you get replaced but the new guy learns and helps out.
The hard part is knowing your child lives, hopefully, the person you sent them too will tell you but that not always the case.

Last edited by Rebel (2018-11-25 20:02:46)

Board footer