One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2018-10-15 08:28:53

VioletLily

Re: [DISCUSS] Zoomed Out FOV mod - discontinuation?

PeaGirl wrote:

I would understand zoom mod with berry bushes but with iron?

I only understand on this, that taking tasks from villages while having zoom mod is just plain lazy... and considering that we don't have yet updates that would give zoom mod more reason to stay afloat (considering that we are sticking to stage of cows and railroads, so waiting for Rohrer's new items that would go higher stage than that would be objected.)
Yes, it's not lazy by being efficient with zoom mod. It's lazy when you are ready to take less effort on trying to scout. Yes it's not lazy by knowing where every item is by seeing. It's lazy when you don't plan on using your memory on where everything is.

The normal view is in that fact really something we need at this stage... because we are still invulnerable. Unless some people are ready to face dementia around their 40s and plan on going with zoom mod and pretend to be naked eagle.

Besides... if you really want to know what job to do, ask your family. They cannot be that clueless as what to do... or be freelancer and bring stuff worth anything.

Edit: Why rush for end game when eventually you only notice that all your babies plan on suiciding when they notice that you have reached end game without their help.

Wait... I think we misunderstood each other somewhere.

In my last post, I was merely replying to sovietico21's post where he claimed that he felt people with zoom mods were stealing his jobs. I replied by saying that the only time that may be the case is when resources are needed quickly to prevent a camp from dying out. In that case it isn't uncommon for multiple people to search for said resouce.

While rereading my post, I realized that it could be interpreted to mean that you should send the person with zoom mod to search for the resource rather than someone without. That wasn't what I meant. I meant that in emergency situations it isn't uncommon for multiple people to do the same job at the same time.

A person with zoom mod will likely finish first, but that doesn't mean that the efforts made by the person not using a mod weren't worthwhile. In the situation with the iron, both will still come back with iron, and all iron collected will be needed.

And why assume everyone is using a zoom mod to be lazy? Like I said in an earlier post, I personally use a zoom mod to fix a problem I have with unavoidable death. I don't use it to make the game easy. I actually love challenging games. The other 'benefits' of a zoom mod that make the game easier are actually a compromise for me. I would rather not have an easy game. I want a challenging game. I simply believe unavoidable deaths break a game. I enjoy this game so I needed a way to fix my problem so that I wouldn't have to drop it, and a small zoom mod did this for me.

Also, you claimed we are invulnerable. I'm a little confused by what you meant by this. Invulnerable means you can't be harmed. Why can't we be harmed?

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-15 08:38:49)

#52 2018-10-15 22:32:21

Goliath

I enjoyed the zoom out mode but it seemed like a clear advantage.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#53 2018-11-17 01:20:32

Blaithe

It's funny I've really been enjoying this game for the first day then the next day my head started hurting but I played through it, I just found the modded installer thread and hit download and found this. It makes me a little sad that this might be gone forever, I really enjoy this game but it just makes my head hurt after playing for a while. And trust me I don't play 'that' much, with life and such.

#54 2018-11-25 13:48:28

lowdt

the actual viewdistance isnt enough for 90% of the ppl.

#55 2018-11-25 14:00:53

Cecil

That's kinda the point though. If it isn't difficult to survive, what are you even achieving by staying alive?

I've watched streamers using the zoomout. It's cheating in my opinion. Though, I don't have a problem with others doing it. It doesn't matter for my own experience if other people are making it easier on themselves.

#56 2018-11-25 15:54:53

lionon

I like the mod less about the zooming features but other features missing from the official client.

Far most it's showing of age.
And the auto-naming-suggestion thing I like.
And the F1-F8 for emotions.

Max zooming outside by itself... hardly ever using it, except if looking for iron. If the iron issue gets solved otherwise I wouldn't miss it.

Normal gameplay is one zoom level further out than standard client tough. I got a small notebook screen tough.

#57 2018-11-26 07:39:29

Psykout

Cecil wrote:

That's kinda the point though. If it isn't difficult to survive, what are you even achieving by staying alive?

I've watched streamers using the zoomout. It's cheating in my opinion. Though, I don't have a problem with others doing it. It doesn't matter for my own experience if other people are making it easier on themselves.

Meh the survival debate leaves me scratching my head after the whole banana bonanza update but I will bite. It's already tough enough to get people to work together to accomplish certain goals, making it so hard to survive at the same time is a chore. I like the idea of, is your area viable with the resources that are THERE, I don't like is your area viable if people can even find whats there. Too many times I have seen people starve screaming there's no food when there is 5 full natural bushes 10 tiles to the east of camp. I like the challenge of getting as much groundwork down to get a village to succeed based off what resources are accessible, I do not like the "challenge" of hoping the chickens running around with blinders on will come back with one of six iron that is in the badlands two biomes over. It's rare enough as is, feels crummy that people are walking right by the stuff because it was 6 tiles away from them and they couldn't see.

I like the organization of advanced settlements and the layouts you see, I do not like the garbage piles that happen because layouts are hard to grasp because you can only see 20ft around you. It's to each and its own. Do I feel like I have advantages over those that do not use the mod when it comes to tasks such as gathering further out resources, hell yes. Do I ever feel like other people using it are cheating? Hell no, its part of the beauty of open source, and also 90% of the time the "cheater" is on your team helping you and everyone out so it's a weird catch-22.

If it really boiled down to a spirit of the game issue, I would say balance rather than abolish. Should you be able to scroll back a bit from normal view, definitely. Do you need to be able to zoom all the way out so you see chunk loading on all 4 sides of your view, probably not necessary. Sadly to end this, I am not sure how much I could get into the game being stuck with my face against the screen. Its a similar battle I have had with using an ultrawide monitor - I'd rather stretch my screen out using 1920x1080 and my whole monitor display the game, rather than using native resolution and side bars (on 21:9 they are about two tiles wide and you can click on tiles underneath those bars leading to a lot of misclick moves and accidental deaths) It is physically awkward and mentally frustrating, and it takes away from the charm of a civ builder and forces the survival aspect of too many forced oh shit moments.

I love and adore the game, it gives me hope for games that rely on community and disregards personal ambition. I don't want to see this diminished because of forced handicaps.

#58 2018-11-26 09:05:34

lionon

Lets just image the game would be first person point of view 3D... how far would be the smallest acceptable field of vision compared to how far can we see in official client (albeit in 2D and I admit in all direction at the same time)

#59 2018-11-26 17:48:41

Koloss_von_Styx

Because of the ratio of the screen (16:9) and the hud, you can barely see up and down without the mod. So you need to strafe if you do not want to die by accidentially running into animals. On roads, you can easily loose your mother as a kid on a crossway. It would be really convinient to have a button that zooms out by 1.5x or 2x. If you make that button a "kill-switch" so you need to hold it down to zoom out, the normal view would still be 1x most of the time.

#60 2018-11-27 10:22:49

Stankysteve

Studies have shown that its not violent video game that make people violent.

Its games with bad controls, bad feedback, and responsiveness, that drive player frustration up radically. There is nothing rewarding about barely letting players see three rows of verticality. Especially in a world where seeds dont stack and consume an entire tile.

Holding spacebar for freezing the camera was a wonderful step in the right direction, but -
Jason, If you truly hate the idea of the zoom mod, can we at least squint in a direction for some increased visibility? Hold control or space and mouse to the edge of the screen to see a couple extra rows in one direction? I hate the mentality of hamstringing players ability to act and react to the world for a more "accurate simulation". It feels like we are only taken from, and what we get in exchange is always more work, more  (horizontal, not vertical) recipes, more things to learn, more clutter to destroy the base, more resources to mismanage between the many. Throw us a bone, enough is enough.

Edit: I dont want to come off with pure negativity, so besides squinting in a direction for partially increased visibility (at the cost of mobility?) I have another idea to offer: Let the small children and babies see the world in that claustrophobic 3x6 view. They're small. They don't see much from their angle. As people grow to adult size, they should be able to see more of what is happening around them. An infant, and a man in the prime of his life, should not look at the horizon and see the same thing.

Last edited by Stankysteve (2018-11-28 01:42:04)

#61 2019-05-26 23:38:13

august

The existence of zoom mod is kind of spoiling my fun today. I want to play without zoom, but knowing that other people are playing on the same server with zoom mod? That's hard to swallow when I'm spending years just to find 1 iron, and I know it's so much easier with the zoom mod.
And them finding iron will also make it harder for me to find iron, because they've already taken it.

I would like server side-verification that people on Jason's server are not using the mod, but that may not be realistic.

Either way, I will not play with zoom, and just try to forget about it. (Even though zoom sounds really good, because it will make the game, and making progress a lot easier, I think it will quickly become mundane. Achieving things by cheating just doesn't feel as good)

#62 2019-05-27 01:45:09

BarnabyJones

Fog of War as a solution? /devilsadvocate

#63 2019-05-27 02:29:40

Psykout

august wrote:

The existence of zoom mod is kind of spoiling my fun today. I want to play without zoom, but knowing that other people are playing on the same server with zoom mod? That's hard to swallow when I'm spending years just to find 1 iron, and I know it's so much easier with the zoom mod.
And them finding iron will also make it harder for me to find iron, because they've already taken it.

I would like server side-verification that people on Jason's server are not using the mod, but that may not be realistic.

Either way, I will not play with zoom, and just try to forget about it. (Even though zoom sounds really good, because it will make the game, and making progress a lot easier, I think it will quickly become mundane. Achieving things by cheating just doesn't feel as good)

Not sure about this logic, the competition with iron isn't the act of finding it, its how much is actually there. I know some people see the mod at cheating, not trying to enter in that debate.

What I ask is for you to think about the scenario you are painting. You are dissatisfied with the difficulty in your game, so you are wanting to change other peoples game. This is not a competitive game that needs a level playing field to be balanced. A large part of the reason you are not finding iron is not because some cheater is taking it all, there isn't much around because of all the towns that have gone through and picked the area clean, mod or not.

I guarantee that taking the mod away from any and everyone using it, will hurt the playerbase AND your game a lot in a way. Towns would be even messier and disorganized, and lack of resources brought in would take a pretty heavy dip. There are plenty of challenges in the game, and they exist regardless of how much you see at one time. Being determined to play the game the way you want to is fine, wanting to change how other people are playing it out of spite, is not a good thing.

#64 2019-05-27 07:06:48

BerrypickerAF

nice necro

#65 2019-05-27 07:31:47

LunyTerror

Jason should make it an ingame feature. Right now people with the zoom out mod are kinda cheating.

I name all my boys Elias and all my girls Eylul. If you get named Elias or Eylul It's me. smile

#66 2019-05-27 10:48:22

testo

I used to think it was cheating at first. Then I tried it and realized I enjoy the game with zoom more. Now I think I would have stopped playing months ago if not for zoom mod.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#67 2019-05-27 10:51:19

RodneyC86

Can Steam players actually use this mod? I'm from steam. If not, then it may as well be enforced that 2x zoom is standard.

#68 2019-05-27 10:59:08

Whatever

#69 2019-05-27 20:40:14

BerrypickerAF

LunyTerror wrote:

Jason should make it an ingame feature.

Jason has explicitly and repeatedly stated that he will not include a zoom feature and does not condone it's use.

Board footer