One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-27 17:41:13

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Demo of the content creation system

In the sidebar on the player, scroll down to "Untitled - Jason & Thomas".  That will jump you to the 1:56:00 mark where the One Hour One Life segment starts:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023585/Ex … l-Gameplay

Anyway, the idea with this editor is to let me add content to the game at the speed of thought.  As quickly as I can doodle something, I can add it to the game and animate it.  That was the only way forward if I really wanted to make a game with 10,000 unique, interactive objects in it.

This is way less fiddly than pixel art or "digital" painting in Photoshop.

And because the source content is all hand-drawn, it has a unique look.

Finally, that video shows the crafting system, and that's the other key piece to how this works.  An interactive relationship between two objects can be defined in a few mouse clicks.  This allows me to get very detailed with how things are crafted (step-by-step when making an arrow, for example), and also represent a huge range of interactive scenarios very quickly.

#2 2017-03-28 17:17:00

mastaprzemo

Re: Demo of the content creation system

looks cool, im just worried about speed of starvation big_smile i rly hope you wont make us need to feed avatar every single minute

#3 2017-04-02 02:51:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, yeah, the speed of starvation shown in the demo has changed somewhat.

Also, standing near a fire, and wearing clothes, dramatically change the rate at which you consume food.  That's the main motivation to craft those things (you get hungry slower).

#4 2017-04-09 19:24:13

Alexotronic

After creating a couple thousand assets, you'll be so much better at creating assets you might need to re-do the early ones. (Or perhaps the primitive -> refined aesthetic will work out)

Will the infrastructure allow for player-created skinning of assets?

#5 2017-04-13 17:24:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I'm going for a kind of "doodled," thrown-together aesthetic.  The idea is to get interactive stuff into the game, and have it look good enough to be visually recognizable (that's definitely an ax!), not to create a masterpiece for each one.

I agree that the drawing still will inevitably change over the course of the project, but the change will be gradual and subtle.  It's also not hard to go back and replace particularly egregious drawings later.  Like, "I added a bunch of new content this week, and I went back and re-did the horse---what do you all think of the new horse?"

The point is that the entire process can be kindof ad lib and incremental and local.  I can put a new object into the game, and hook it up with what it interacts with, in relative isolation from everything else.  And thus "grow" the content base up to 10K objects organically.

And you're right that the drawing style may progress along with the tech!

But I'll also be adding natural objects the whole time as the biomes expand.  I'm really trying to avoid the temptation of going back and redoing old stuff, though.  The visual style will necessarily be something of a mish-mash, and I need to accept that.

It will still have a unique look, with all this hand-drawn, hand-colored stuff.

#6 2017-06-12 12:58:24

SmokestormX

Really nice vid, I'm looking forward to how this game develops.

I think it might even be a good art aesthetic and if over time your doodles get better, the more modern items will almost be drawn better.

#7 2018-08-26 04:23:12

Superfun2
Banned

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NECROMANCE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

Board footer