One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-18 03:04:02

MeIsZ

Noticed anything different since OHOL hit Steam?

Just wondering if you guys have noticed any changes since OHOL hit Steam.

Last edited by MeIsZ (2018-11-18 03:04:25)

If you're bored, check out this site poliwager.net. It's kinda like a online pokemon ranch simulator. The creator of Siivagunner is the owner of the site! big_smile

#2 2018-11-18 03:05:35

GreatShawn

Re: Noticed anything different since OHOL hit Steam?

Theres supposed to have an update every friday but this week there's not... hope there is going to be one tho big_smile

#3 2018-11-18 03:07:40

MeIsZ

GreatShawn wrote:

Theres supposed to have an update every friday but this week there's not... hope there is going to be one tho big_smile

Eh, that could be anything. Jason could be busy or whatever. Not really a need to worry.

If you're bored, check out this site poliwager.net. It's kinda like a online pokemon ranch simulator. The creator of Siivagunner is the owner of the site! big_smile

#4 2018-11-18 05:33:46

bENdI

the update is coming out on sunday, which i would say is tomorrow but it's 12:33 so it's later today.

#5 2018-11-18 07:49:56

WalrusesConquer

More murders I think. Twice there have been for NP good reason. I think they watching all these YouTube videos about 'protecting the town' and want to try it out themselves.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#6 2018-11-18 08:53:05

Lum

We have clearly come back to lower life conditions, more starvation, less cities, less preparation, less buildings, less ressources, etc... we gotta teach our steam babies yo!

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#7 2018-11-18 08:55:45

Aurora Aurora

Its not as fun anymore since nobody knows how to do anything or talk to anyone hmm

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#8 2018-11-18 09:20:56

MultiLife

Every time I have rolled the darkest skinned character, there has been a racist. Last time I got shot with an arrow as a baby boy. I wanted to curse the mother, Eve So, but forgot to do it in the life after that.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#9 2018-11-18 09:47:11

Psykout

Devil's Advocate question here, If the game suddenly got an influx of newer players that was not attached to the Steam platform, would people feel the same way? Is it new players or the demographic of the platform? Every post about this names Steam directly rather than just talking about dealing with new players.

#10 2018-11-18 09:51:01

Aurora Aurora

Psykout wrote:

Devil's Advocate question here, If the game suddenly got an influx of newer players that was not attached to the Steam platform, would people feel the same way? Is it new players or the demographic of the platform? Every post about this names Steam directly rather than just talking about dealing with new players.

There has been an influx of new players before steam and we liked them much better as they werent as fucking toxic, racist and obnoxtious. Steam brings bad people.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#11 2018-11-18 10:31:56

Psykout

Aurora Aurora wrote:
Psykout wrote:

There has been an influx of new players before steam and we liked them much better as they werent as fucking toxic, racist and obnoxtious. Steam brings bad people.

So demographic then. Well on the bright side steam players are the most likely to abandon a game if it doesn't immediately pull them in and reward them? What percent of good players that stay vs bad players are you willing to accept? Can you survive this "eve" camp and move onto to bustling town? I mean I came from steam, I can't remember the last time I dove this deep into a game and community behind it. They aren't all bad, just getting beat down by the learning curve and the fact that its damn hard to teach someone from ground zero rather than teaching a specific skill such as baking or smithing.

#12 2018-11-18 10:38:55

Psykout

Side thought, do you think that if the tutorial was expanded to include things such as, how to plant a berry bush, how to plant/seed carrots would that help? Right now you learn absolute basics such as hunger/warmth/clothing/fire and have the option to mess with smithing, but no way to experience any kind of farming until in game. I mean unless you Tab through recipes or someone teaches you, you don't even know there is a way to get seeds from plants (wild carrots are obvious but splitting berries or picking milkweed at the right time is hidden behind the curve)

#13 2018-11-18 12:01:34

MultiLife

Psykout wrote:

New people are new people no matter where they come from. I guess people like to add the stamp of Steam to emphasize that it's the big influx of players being talked about, sort of like encircling the mass' origins.
In a way Steam players are probably a special case though, as the platform is massive and its community is often rather impatient and very wide with their preferences. I've been in Steam for 7 years now, I know how it is; many buy games at fast pace, return games at fast pace, complain at fast pace, compare games that shouldn't really be compared, and oftentimes ask the games to be changed into a whole another game because it didn't fit their preferences ("this game is similar to this, therefore they should be same to be good imo"). People of Steam tend to ask "is this worth my money" instead of putting time into researching. In a game like this, I am expecting a mass in Steam just glancing in and dropping out right after the first experience.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#14 2018-11-18 12:24:43

VixieVixen

At first, I noticed more and more messy towns:
Random objects everywhere
No bowls and plates at the forges
Dead berry bushes
Farms that were huge with no paths
Eve settlements with no ponds anywhere in sight
People trying to make bread when we had no knives
All the sheep being killed

I'd ask my kids if they were new and ask them if they could farm. Many would spam emotes at me or wander off. Those who answered would say they're a noob and not know how to farm. I would show them how to keep berries alive and to never take the last row of carrots etc.
Then over time as I asked my new kids if they knew how to farm they would say yes.
In the big cities, I taught them how to heal people and how to make pies and in the eve camps, I'd tell them about taking care of kids e.g. temp spots and how you can't always keep them all.

I had my personal best eve run yesterday. Got to generation 18. Maybe I got lucky with my kids being experienced or maybe I chose a great spot but personally, I think that the steam apocalypse is coming to an end. The new players have learnt enough to not be a drain on resources anymore and I think all the new players are going to help us make even bigger and better civilisations.  smile

My Eve Name is usually Fanta or Vix
Kids names: Legacy, Future, Amazing, Goddess, Beautiful, Destiny, Mercy, Liberty
Planet or Fruit Names
Nadia, Emma, George, Kayla, Lily, Freya, Hayley, Harriet, Harry, Hunter

#15 2018-11-18 13:05:38

gabal

At the start things were very chaotic. However, as time goes by the median level of skill is increasing and you see more and more bigger towns. I'm loving having so many new players as I enjoy teaching. Not seen any racism so far...

#16 2018-11-18 16:54:26

karltown_veteran

I amuse myself with more crazy things : boob and age studies, a game called berry wars, baby v snake and baby v bow and arrow. And I've noticed less people want to date nowadays, which is sad. They're all stupid heads who only care about playing the right way. roll

Last edited by karltown_veteran (2018-11-18 16:54:47)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#17 2018-11-18 17:18:58

tana

One thing that can make it a little easier is to stick to one server.
If you don't tick the custom server box, you'll be sent to the first available wherever the overflow might land you. Now the game does try to keep you playing into the same server within the same session, but i'm not sure between two play sessions.
I've been sticking to one server for the past few days, and things do improve slowly, we start to see bigger
cities again.

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

#18 2018-11-18 18:05:44

PeaGirl

I understand that the updates are coming bit slower as usual, but it has been nearly a week since steam release, and I have noticed that people have made their whole another culture when it comes for trying to evolve as a community, and I personally don't see it going very well.

The eves who decide to make their foundation near only one or no ponds at all
People keeping gooseberries as main source of food when there are carrots and omelettes usable as well.
People forgetting to use homemarker when taking travelling tasks like rabbit/iron hunting.

I don't want to be mean to anyone, because I also went myself throught this process, when OHOL was at it's peak interest around roughly a half a year ago, but today's great population spike causes towns to be overrun by too many mouths. It's hard to keep up the progress going steadily, when you have only food worth for 3-4 mouths for 10 mouth population. It's nerve wrecking and it definitely doesn't keep new people in good light when it comes for decent learning, that is why it is highly suggested for them to try to learn through onetec, onehouronelife wiki and through tutorial. It's hard but it would be lot harder in real game, so...

edit: Oh yes, not to mention how much harder the game is now than it used to be, after decay updates came by, and you need to keep a close eye on what you do for town. Making all reeds into baskets might not be acceptable nowadays as it used to be in past, since baskets die out eventually and reed stumps dissapear overtime, losing one adobe of each, which is a huge difference in survival.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-11-18 18:08:11)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#19 2018-11-18 18:31:34

MeIsZ

Aurora Aurora wrote:
Psykout wrote:

Yeah exactly, this is what I was worried about tbh.

#20 2018-11-18 18:34:59

MeIsZ

WalrusesConquer wrote:

More murders I think. Twice there have been for NP good reason. I think they watching all these YouTube videos about 'protecting the town' and want to try it out themselves.

A lot of people just wanna kill people. sad

#21 2018-11-18 18:42:02

MeIsZ

Lum wrote:

We have clearly come back to lower life conditions, more starvation, less cities, less preparation, less buildings, less ressources, etc... we gotta teach our steam babies yo!

A lot of people buy a game expecting something simple, but when they get a game like OHOL, they get bored and leave.

#22 2018-11-18 18:53:38

MeIsZ

MultiLife wrote:

Every time I have rolled the darkest skinned character, there has been a racist. Last time I got shot with an arrow as a baby boy. I wanted to curse the mother, Eve So, but forgot to do it in the life after that.

Yeah that's gonna happen more now. Steam's demographic is garbage.

#23 2018-11-18 18:55:24

MeIsZ

Psykout wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:
Psykout wrote:

So demographic then. Well on the bright side steam players are the most likely to abandon a game if it doesn't immediately pull them in and reward them? What percent of good players that stay vs bad players are you willing to accept? Can you survive this "eve" camp and move onto to bustling town? I mean I came from steam, I can't remember the last time I dove this deep into a game and community behind it. They aren't all bad, just getting beat down by the learning curve and the fact that its damn hard to teach someone from ground zero rather than teaching a specific skill such as baking or smithing.

A lot of the people are gonna leave of because how difficult it is to learn. But the people who do get it might be a problem. And yes, it's Steam's demographic; it's garbage.

#24 2018-11-18 18:56:25

MeIsZ

Psykout wrote:

Side thought, do you think that if the tutorial was expanded to include things such as, how to plant a berry bush, how to plant/seed carrots would that help? Right now you learn absolute basics such as hunger/warmth/clothing/fire and have the option to mess with smithing, but no way to experience any kind of farming until in game. I mean unless you Tab through recipes or someone teaches you, you don't even know there is a way to get seeds from plants (wild carrots are obvious but splitting berries or picking milkweed at the right time is hidden behind the curve)

Yes, the tutorial should be expanded and simplified.

#25 2018-11-18 19:21:32

tana

Geez have you never heard of the edit post option ? big_smile

I will be eve tana. If not an eve, my kids will be called numerically : Primo, Duo, Tertio, Quattro, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus, Octavius etc... ending with an -a if you're a girl.

Board footer