One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-11-16 23:56:18

Auner

Re: 3 Suggestions and my experience with the game so far

Birth control-

"/die" option was implemented which is honestly a huge step up. I encourage people use it- no use having your mom run after a life you don't want. Yep you abandon your babies. This how it is with a massive base of players being new. The infant mortality is high. When this game first came out I didn't see my first basket until my 3rd life.

Previous players have learned to adapt to the food situations and kill the babies accordingly.

Stuff everywhere-

It's always an issue and will likely always be an issue. While I do think the game has room for a 4-peice basket (seeing as it exists in both backpack and cart) it however is a major blessing to have limited personal supply when griefers are about. Griefers could then stock up and just hold on to it all.

Typing capacity--

It makes sense and is only rarely frustrating. In the few times I've NEEDED to speak as a baby (bunch of griefers coming for the town who just killed me) my alarmed ness translated and 2 adults listened to me letter by letter

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#27 2018-11-17 01:06:49

Starknight_One

Auner wrote:

Birth control-

"/die" option was implemented which is honestly a huge step up. I encourage people use it- no use having your mom run after a life you don't want. Yep you abandon your babies. This how it is with a massive base of players being new. The infant mortality is high. When this game first came out I didn't see my first basket until my 3rd life.

I kind of figured launch must have been pretty similar, but I wasn't around then so I couldn't tell people so over on Steam.

#28 2018-11-17 04:54:26

Monolith_Rans

There is a code amongst those who use the forum.  Say this code as a baby and you won't be discarded.  The code is 'Q'.  It means, "I use the forum and know what I'm doing."  The baby murder/suicide problem is a social problem that needs to be solved by us. 

Also, if you are ever born to me, I keep all of my children.  I'm a mom in real life and the whole of society could burn to the ground with me in it before i let harm come to one of my children.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#29 2018-11-17 05:20:32

CrazyEddie

If I were born to someone who would only keep forum readers, I'd rather die than play with them, even though I'm a forum reader.

I also try to keep all my kids. If you teach them to stay warm and to only ask for food when needed, if you only feed them when they ask, if you tell them to forage and send them away from camp, and if you teach them to farm, then they will a) be a very light burden when babies, b) be a very light burden when children, and c) be an asset when mature.

If you abandon your children then you suck as a teacher. If you abandon your children because the players are new then you suck as a player.

#30 2018-11-17 05:59:02

denriguez

pein wrote:
CrazyEddie wrote:

No one is going to use birth control even if Jason adds it, because it will always be easier to simply not feed your children.

lets start  from the point that most good moms who can sustain a family are working
there is no choice having a baby or not, and no punishment losing one
should reward certain actions and punish the ones who don't know this actions

the babies could be malnourished, meaning they are smaller and weaker for longer
a good mom would be the one who keeps the baby ward, has good yum bonus and is full
i think overeating should be punished by having more babies, this is understandable action if you want a baby, a yum chain could further increase this behavior but would need a certain item/food which activates it

you should feed the baby often, keep it warm
not doing so the baby would have certain problems after birth, walking very slow, cant speak properly, his food bars disabled for a few minutes, but if you would keep it warm, and you got good yum, the kid would get a part of your yum bonus
so if a female would stand in fire, waiting a baby, surrounded by many types of food, could have a chance to raise a baby faster than one who cant control temperature and has no yum bonus

This got me thinking: what if keeping your babies was incentivized by your hunger bar increasing in capacity the more you breastfeed? Note that your hunger bar would still empty a little each time you breastfed a baby, but what if it increased in capacity by one pip for every N times you fed a baby (or however you want to calculate it)? I remember when my wife was nursing our children she would eat practically all day and still be hungry. And when she ate, she ate, like, an entire pizza. Far, far more than she'd ever eat normally.

All I'm sayin' is that nursing mommas are making fuckin' FOOD with their BODIES and maybe the game should reward them a little for doing that.

Last edited by denriguez (2018-11-17 05:59:39)

#31 2018-11-17 06:46:21

sarannwrap

I just came back after a couple weeks, and oh my gosh so much has changed. 
I /VERY/ rarely was abandoned as a child, except at the influx of new players when I started due to a couple of YouTube channels.  A bit after that it was VERY rare.  I assume child abandonment will slow down again once the new players have learned the game more thoroughly.  After all, the more you are acclimated, the more you realize how important surviving kiddos are.  Some boys included, cuz they can REALLY get things done.

#32 2018-11-17 06:55:29

Truth

A plant that you can eat to act as birth control for ~2 minutes could be interesting. There are several used in real life for that reason. I don't like the idea of an on/off switch, and an in-game mechanic like a plant could be something Jason may consider instead.

I would definitely appreciate more items that stack, and/or a table that is like a chest but perhaps fits 2-3 baskets/plates/bowls. Needing rope for the chest is cruel sad

#33 2018-11-17 07:18:49

Go! Bwah!

Monolith_Rans wrote:

Say this code as a baby and you won't be discarded.  The code is 'Q'.

I would specifically abandon "Q" babies because it's kinda self-important and pushy, and also because it would mean more to a newbie/naive baby to be kept.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#34 2018-11-17 08:56:58

Lily

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Monolith_Rans wrote:

Say this code as a baby and you won't be discarded.  The code is 'Q'.

I would specifically abandon "Q" babies because it's kinda self-important and pushy, and also because it would mean more to a newbie/naive baby to be kept.

That isn't the first time I heard that. Personally I wouldn't try it until you get abandon, then maybe say it as a last ditch hope they spare you. I don't think it is overly effective though.

#35 2018-11-17 11:15:51

Psykout

Lot of good thoughts here. Nice to see another first impression and their views of the difficulties of the game. All of the points that were brought up do makes sense, as in they are indeed difficult and frustrating at first.

1) Birth Control
The choice to have a child or not

That exists in game right now. Your problem with it is someone gets to be a "small" pile of bones instead of never happening. Ask yourself, in our society if a baby was born, and you knew it couldn't be cared for and thrive, but you had a way to let it be a part of something maybe better, that it could be the SAME baby for someone else, would we do it? It's called adoption and we do it now. By letting a baby die in OHOL you are just giving it up for adoption. Of course at first I was like "WTF all I do is get left to die they don't want me or I don't know what I am doing yet so they leave me" Once I learned the game I realized that was just part of the deal, that if they feel like there is no way to care for me or a place for me, I don't want to be there. One minute later either I will be somewhere more sustainable or as my own eve ready to take on the same challenge that I just experienced from the other side. This is a game that is built around the premise of the fruits of your labors are for strangers that you will not interact with and the future generations. Why are you then so attached to one single life/spawn? Just let it go... Start anew, clean the slate as Eve or find your place in a group that feels like that there is something to contribute to, rather than focus on being left behind.

I focused on blacksmith right out of the gate because many early villages no one knows that stuff. When I pop up somewhere established and the forefront is new territory for me, I feel slightly useless. If the only thing I know how to do is taken care of, what is the point of me being here. If your Eve/Mother knows that right at that moment there isn't much to add to, and its not the right time, why fight against that and cling to wanting to live that life so much. Just let it go, start anew. Its why we are all here man.

2) Inventory
The limitations at the moment lead to some essentially highly(debatable...) functioning trash piles, but thats on the players not the game. If you know that can be a problem and its how the game works, stop making a kiln one tile from the farm. Stop making eggs with the flat stones from the forge. Put your tools back exactly from where you got them. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, spread out. You are starting a civilization not a man cave that needs to have the TV, Chair, Food/Drink all at arms reach. Everytime I build a forge in a budding new player town, I move it away from everything else so its off screen to most (yeah you know what I am talking about, another "issue"). If you ever pop up into a civ that is riding horses around attached to carts and all the babies are wearing Gucci - pay attention to the lay out. Everything has its place and its own space - thats why they are riding horses.

Onto your story. I get it, I have died like that. I didn't stab people on my downward spiral to the grave, but then again I would have put the knife in my backpack and tried to set down that one gooseberry you didn't realize you even had in there. Secondly you said it yourself,  "I was standing there texting and forgot to eat." Why then is this suddenly a problem with the game, you live a year every minute, thats six days a second. If you suddenly forget to eat for essentially 6 months yeah you gunna be dead. If you die because you couldn't get your hands free to pick up a berry, you waited WAY too long to take care of that. Its the equivalent of knowing you have slow growing cancer but saying, "hey it won't take me out for 15 years, I will deal with it around then. Lastly - you have a backpack... keep one piece of food in there, you never have to set something down if you just rotate food to your hands (again if you die holding a "two handed" item to starvation - some other decision is at play - not Jasons.)

I'd argue that 60min life and spawn on other people is not the one great unique idea, its the one liner that gets you in the door. The great idea is that when you realize how much is needed to reach higher levels, that you are happy to be the cog. You don't need to be the conductor, you are happy being one of hundreds of wheels that gets you there. You don't have a personal inventory because NOTHING is personal, its never meant to be there for you its for "us". To be honest the more I think about it, the fact that its no easy to clutter up and rob everyone of productivity, adds to the collective. Don't like messy towns, don't be messy. If you have ever cleaned up a place a little and thought "I can't believe how much of my life I wasted taking care of this" rather than "This was something that needed be done and I am okay with me giving up my time to do it for everyone else" then you might want to re approach how you view the game and what you want to achieve from playing it.

3) I just recently played with a view people together on voice chat while playing. It was amazing to have so much communication available especially over distances, but I realized that my output was sooo low. Too many distractions, too much talk and not enough elbow grease. When more people know the game, there will be less teaching needed. You don't need to know anything accept for where stuff is and what is needed. It doesn't matter what you want to do, its what needs to be done. Your responses should be acknowledgment or simple questions and then get it done. Simply saying NEE FRG or NEE FRM or NEE IRN followed with a question mark is enough to get going until you feel you need to articulate more. If you really crave more on top of them, send them here. Send them to the discord. Get them engaged into the community because come on, even with tons of exposure its not a game for everyone it will always be core enough to support that.

Also as to the other impression of hard to survive, heck yeah it is, but I believe that what Jason hopes is that we can advance enough that 95% of babies live to 60 in advanced civilizations that have roads that connect them together. It's possible just hard to do unless everyone is a collective, cogs turning the main machine.

#36 2018-11-17 11:31:48

Psykout

mx_owl wrote:

Granted, I've only been playing since the Steam release, but the farthest I've been able to get as an Eve is making the adobe kiln, and that was with all the kids doing their job and fetching me things. We ended up dying anyway because once my daughter grew up, the influx of babies was too much to handle. Even on a private server, the game is designed so you can't advance easily without other player hepl, so I can only practice so much.

First off sending kids to fetch things is way risky. Starvation is way more likely especially if natural foods nearby have been consumed (As an eve try really hard to eat to full away from base before returning so close food is left for kids) You are better off having them maintain farm and take care of babies if needed (you can hand feed babies always) As a mature adult you can travel further and easier than someone with 1/2 your hunger bars. This mimicks real life third world villages in that young kids and elders stay at home and do busy work while adults travel out to bring stuff back because they are more able and competent.

mx_owl wrote:

This is a really frustrating experience. It makes me feel like I am continually failing, since I literally cannot explore and learn before my feet are held to the fires of taking care of others. Of the few towns I've been born into, in all but one I spent my life fetching dirt and trying to stave off berry collapse.

This is because you were probably the only one doing it and no new child took your torch when you were able to go out and do those things. This is a combination of newer players and proper instruction of "This is the task we need to be done, that you need to do for the next twenty minutes until you can take on the next thing"

mx_owl wrote:

I really, really like this game, but I'm already feeling like I'm hitting a plateau where I can't amass enough actual game experience to progress past the stoneage. Having to use mods or set up a private server to partially overcome difficulties is not a great path forward. And I know some of this will get better with time, as players themselves get better, but that doesn't take care of the frustration of that steep learning curve or make it easier for the next wave of noobs.

Just my two cents.

You don't need to setup a private server. Just join an empty one and always spawn as eve. See how far you can get yourself each time, organize what you need and maximize your proficiency. Last time you had an axe in your thirties - next time in your twenties. Do the tutorial extra area to practice smithing. Aim to break out in 10 minutes or so. Follow Tarr's list. Get it all together and smash it out in one go and see how much time you have on your hands. Also - run away. If you really want to learn run off, get a sharp stone and a basket and punch out away from everyone and hunker down. If you can't reliably die of old age on your own, then when with other people someone else is essentially carrying your weight.

#37 2018-11-17 19:46:18

xclame

Your issue with mom's not taking care of their babies or mom's abandoning boys will resolve itself once the spiked steam population from release has learned to play. The issue right now and the reason so many babies are getting abandoned is that there are just way too many people that don't know what to do and for the most part just eat up and waste food by not trying to get a yum bonus and eating inappropriate food, thus causing there to be a lack of food, which in turns make it so we have less or no food to feed new babies. As the new player base learns things we will be able to keep almost all babies, since almost all of them will be productive members of the camp.

#38 2018-11-18 11:33:59

Psykout

xclame wrote:

Your issue with mom's not taking care of their babies or mom's abandoning boys will resolve itself once the spiked steam population from release has learned to play. The issue right now and the reason so many babies are getting abandoned is that there are just way too many people that don't know what to do and for the most part just eat up and waste food by not trying to get a yum bonus and eating inappropriate food, thus causing there to be a lack of food, which in turns make it so we have less or no food to feed new babies. As the new player base learns things we will be able to keep almost all babies, since almost all of them will be productive members of the camp.

Personally I think advising new players to take a basket and go try and live on their own might help that. My theory - if you can't live on your own with no babies to 60, you can't be part of a town. At some point someone else is carrying your weight, I taught myself by running off as unwanted boys that survived to live on my own. When I knew how to personally bring myself to hand carts in a lifetime, I figured I could help others get there too.

Board footer