One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-14 13:16:40

Tramax

Suggestion: Deer

Venison got mentioned here and it got me thinking. What would need to be implemented in order to justify the creatures?

In particular now that we have probability in the current update I feel like there should be a chance for arrows to hit either the heart of a deer or a non-vital area to reflect their flighty nature. So the states from hunting deer would be:
Deer + Bow and Arrow -> Vitally Wounded Deer -> Dead Deer
or
Deer + Bow and Arrow -> Limping Deer + Knife/Bow and Arrow -> Dead Deer

Not only would venison add more potential diversity in diets but deer sinew would be great as a source for thread and rope, perhaps yielding three threads per deer. Often industrious settlements have no milkweed farmers for various reasons, and may have no milkweed seeds. The nearby milkweed can be pretty scarce within a small radius - so why not offer a secondary source that outlasts milkweed but is autonomously self-sustaining while still requiring a certain stability in the camp.

That brings me to my final point. Deer are so great at being elusive that even once all the deer are hunted in an area they sometimes repopulate from the brink of eradication. Of course then, they should spawn fawns quite rapidly. Perhaps a mechanic could be introduced that checks the current population of something in a biome.  It could be used to force the last deer to spawn a fawn as soon as the penultimate is killed, leading to the only way for deer to become extinct in the biome to be a recreation of Bambi followed by Bambi being taken care of.

TL;DR what we need for Deer to be great is:
Chance to effect hunting accuracy
Sinew as a somewhat faster way to get threads
Fawn spawning driven by population

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Board footer