One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-12 17:16:48

Three

Jason needs to listen

Honestly, Jason has not listened to the comunity for a while. If he does not listen the game will die, it is just that simple. come on Jason. we want content updates, we want glass and we want steel plates for machines. we have been in the smae stage for ages and it has already been more than half a year. right now in the steampocalypse we currently do not need something rushed and useless, you have plenty time now before the playerbase learns. But that ism't infinite time. Jason you need to start working now or time will run out. We get that you are stubborn as an old goat but please. I don't know if we are demanding something too much but you have already seen a massive decline in players because no new content. I think the drama is balanced right now with new steam players but when they learn we would love your drama idea. please remove donkey town too and add a lower treshold for punishment. maybe 4 curses would be black text and eight would be devilhorns. I am getting a little off-topic now but Jason, you really need to listen. we are giving you ideas for new content all the time. Also you should really get some help so the implementation gets a little bit faster. But Jason, the least you could do is to listen.

#2 2018-11-12 17:30:59

MultiLife

Re: Jason needs to listen

No thank you for devil horns. No thank you for just removing donkey town. Balancing, sure. Meaningful updates, sure. Getting higher tier tech, sure.
Just voicing my thoughts.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-11-12 17:41:44

Three

My point is not that anything i recomend should always be put into the game, my point was to make him atleast LISTEN to my point.

#4 2018-11-12 19:32:40

Birdykinz

? He's regularly in threads on the forum asking for feedback and spitballing. Some of the stuff you're talking about is stuff he was discussing with players just the other day, so they've clearly already been heard and are actively being considered. And there's a specific way to float suggestions, described in a sticky at the top of this forum, which you apparently haven't read since you're posting this.

It's pretty rude of you to tell this developer you don't know what he should be doing at what pace, especially when you don't seem super aware of what goes into game development. Particularly when only one programmer is working on it!

Last edited by Birdykinz (2018-11-12 19:37:49)

#5 2018-11-12 19:41:41

GnarSlabdash

Three wrote:

My point is not that anything i recomend should always be put into the game, my point was to make him atleast LISTEN to my point.

There are entire posts dedicated to his talking with the community. He makes them every few days. "Is the drama gone?" is the most recent. There was one about iron ores, and there have been plenty before that. He has responded to people often, both in positive and negative ways, providing reasoning and feedback.

That being said, I would have to agree with the main point. Advancements in the tech tree would be very nice, because once the new steam players figure out what's going on, they're going to start getting bored without the much hyped and often touted "staying one step ahead in the tech tree." Although, Jason has said that much of the tech tree later on is purely cosmetic, with the reasoning "you can only get so efficient at producing food," which makes sense.

Which brings me to the main point of this long post: how are we to create more of a tech tree without going all factorio/max efficiency?

An idea that was mentioned in this same post about later tech tree ideas was that new technology brings new problems, as old inputs become incredibly scarce. An example from the real world for this:

Problem: Food takes a long time to make.
Solution: Create technology which is more efficient, allowing for specialization, and increased productivity.
New Problem: I have no idea how to grow enough of my own food from scratch to feed myself a balanced diet.

Except in the game, knowledge isnt something that goes away. No matter how big the tech tree gets, there is always someone who will have the entire thing memorized. However, there are already examples of this in the game.

Problem: Being a nomad is highly dependant on what biomes you are in, easy to starve if you're unlucky.
Solution: Settle down and form a camp.
New Problem: Resources around the camp become more and more exhausted, can lead to mass famine.

Or, a much more real one where the created technology to solve a simple problem has obvious and immediate downsides.

Problem: I need to slice this bread.
Solution: Make a knife
New Problem: Little Timmy just murdered half our town.

If we wanted to take that even further:
Problem: Little Timmy is going on a rampage
Solution: Have someones job be to hunt down little Timmy.
New Problem: The hunter's productivity is decreased, due to their time investment being finding the murderer.

New stuff in the tech tree is hard to make when you don't want to just increase the efficiency of everything like other games do. (Think minecraft, where the only difference between a stone pickaxe and an iron pickaxe is the quality, having a iron pickaxe doesnt make you have new problems to solve.) Stuff like the knife are prime examples of what good technology can be for the later parts of the tech tree.

Related ideas:

Anything that increases specialization is important. However, currently the towns are basically cooperative. I make a pie, anyone can eat the pie, whether or not they do anything for me or the town in return. There is no real way to change this that doesnt involve an astronomical amount of work and coordination outside of a single lifespan (ie, would require a coordinated effort across multiple generations, which I feel violates the spirit of the game). Trade is nonexistant, both interpersonal and between towns. There is no incentive to do so. Why give up anything in my backpack when I can wait for the guy to just drop what I want?

Changing this might require new systems to be made. A rough idea might be as follows:

Job: Manager
Requirements: One room, full walled off with a door, and flooring everywhere. Along with clay table and paper and charcoal pencils.
Ability: Be able to assign each person a job from a list (berry farming, compost, etc...), which appears above them, either visible to everyone, or to only them.

There is nothing that makes anyone follow this, but in the same way if my mother asks me to do carry on what she did in tending sheep, I'm more likely to do so then if nothing is said. Likewise, this is another person not making food, so the efficiency of food production must be sufficiently advaned enough to accommodate this person. But, since this is a social job, there should be a better way to talk with each other which brings me to my last point...

Coordination is HARD. We have an hour. Each minute represents 1/60th of our total time. We can't even form complete thoughts until were teenagers (not saying this is bad, as I actually really like it, just that it makes things harder). Taking five minutes when you're 20 to talk to round up 3 people to do a complex task is a massive amount of your time. There is no way to easily coordinate with others. If we want to develop more complex communities, we have to be able to communicate as efficiently as we are able to produce food.

Jason has a very specific vision for this game which is commendable, he could easily make another cookie cutter survival crafting game. This vision though, means that the tech tree has to be designed carefully, and is much more difficult to do so.

#6 2018-11-13 03:14:19

Go! Bwah!

Yeah, it can be frustrating if you want a significantly different game than what Jason wants, but complaining about it isn't going to change anything.  Make your suggestions if you want, but ultimately, play the game, or don't.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#7 2018-11-13 15:16:11

Stormyzabeast

Trust me, he listens. But ultimately it's his game. He's got plans and does things for a reason, whether to balance out problems, weed out things, teach us stuff, whatever. Just be patient

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#8 2018-11-13 16:01:42

Redram

Considering the game slid from highs of around 100 players when I first found out about it, to less than 40 by the time of steam release - a matter of about 3 months in which he added little of real importance - Jason may have to choose between having a dead game 'his way', or an active game that maybe pays attention to what players want.

Last edited by Redram (2018-11-13 16:02:08)

#9 2018-11-13 18:22:43

Ifeanyichukwu

Redram wrote:

Considering the game slid from highs of around 100 players when I first found out about it, to less than 40 by the time of steam release - a matter of about 3 months in which he added little of real importance - Jason may have to choose between having a dead game 'his way', or an active game that maybe pays attention to what players want.

+1

#10 2018-11-13 18:38:17

Elsayal

I will side with Jason here.

Something like : Do whatever you like, as the player do.

There is no way that any artist will ever listen to any consummers, even if, as a customer, you have the right to be upset or angry or anything you like.

You want it better ? Let's try to cooperate and propose a good plan smile

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#11 2018-11-13 20:57:29

Redram

Elsayal wrote:

There is no way that any artist will ever listen to any consumers

He climbed down off his high 'I'm not going to solve griefing for you' horse and implemented donkeytown.  So I'd say 'no way ever' is inaccurate, thankfully.

#12 2018-11-13 21:20:11

Go! Bwah!

Redram wrote:

Yup, but he seems to be well aware of this.  So, his pocketbook, his family, his choice.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

Board footer