One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-10 23:18:26

Tea

The Forgotten Son

Born to Eve Judie, Brandon adored his mother the moment he was born into her arms. She assured him that she loved him very much and little Brandon tried to tell her with his little vocabulary that he loved her too.

They lived in the wilderness for a while, surrounded by some berries, always on the look for a better place to call home. His little brother Aaban left the little group, not wanting to be a burden to his mother. He watched Aaban disappearing into the vast Savannah and swore to himself that he will protect and look after his mother, just like his brother did.

As soon as he was strong enough to fend for himself, he ran off to grab the best berry he could find and bring it back to his mother. After some time searching, he had found a decent place. It was warm, had some ponds nearby and lots of food. Excited, he ran to his mother to lead her to their new home. She called him a "Good Boy" and Brandon was very proud of himself.

Quickly, he began to gather some materials, always avoiding snakes and boars lingering behind trees and bushes. He set up a Home marker, a forge and made some plates and bowls. He planed the layout of the farm and started to collect some kindling.

He wanted to make this place a beautiful home for his mother, for his family.

That's when he noticed something. His mother hasn't returned to the base ever since he had set up the forge. He saw his sister once while gathering branches, standing next to a burdock, but it turned out to be a delusion. He waited. Surely she must have had more kids along the way and had to stop to be able to feed them all.

Yeah. That's probably it. She isn't dead. She can't be dead. She will return, he told to himself. And so he continued to work. Years passed. He finished making plates and bowls. Planted lots of berries, gathered food, captured rabbits and made lots of omelettes in case his mother will come back with all his siblings, exhausted and hungry from the trip.

But they didn't.

After years working on the home that he hoped his family will live and thrive in, he never lost hope. He was sure that his mother would one day find him. After all, he was her firstborn. A mother wouldn't forget her firstborn, right ?

Once he was happy with the farm, he grabbed a basket and went into the wilderness, on the look for iron. He avoided those damn boars and hoped to maybe find a trace of his family. And he did ! A berry bush with only one berry, a sharp stone lying around. He followed those traces until he finally found something!

Tools ! Hatchet and Fire Bow Drill, ropes and thongs. People started a camp here ! His heart skipped a beat when he saw a young man running towards the camp. He had the same black curly hear his sister had. It was his nephew ! At last, after years and years of waiting, he was finally back with his family.

But his joy shouldn't last long. His heart shattered into thousand pieces as he heard the terrible news. His mother was dead. Killed by a snake.

His eyes were filled with tears, his thoughts were by his sister, who might still be alive and who he had to absolutely find. Maybe she could answer all his questions.

Did she missed him ? And did she ever talked about him ? Did she tried searching for him ? Or ... was he forgotten ?

He didn't see the boar running towards him and before he could even react, it was already too late. With his last strengths, he walked back to the unfinished base, back to his nephew. He didn't want to die alone.

His last thoughts were to his mother.

Mother ... why did you leave me behind ?

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#2 2018-11-11 02:13:54

Randomname

Re: The Forgotten Son

Hi bro I was Susie your sister, the one you never knew you had.  You see when I was born our mother was standing next to a bunch of empty berry bushes so she moved to another bush and started to empty that one, then she done this again and again.  Looking around in my limited view I was worried about food.  Sister said to mum we needed to make a home and mum said "How?", sister looked on worried and replied "Set home marker Ma".  Ma said "How?"

I was getting the feeling Ma had left her own village far to soon to be an Eve.  I got her a stone and a skewer but she kept on eating at the berries, this scared me.  I'm not proud but I made myself a basket, a sharp stone and a burdock and I ran as far as my little legs could carry me.  I had no clue of your existence or of the home you had made for us.

I ran miles upon miles, dodging snakes and boars til finally I seen a bunch of milkweed.  This surely was a sign, this was to be my new home.  I made the fire tools and out popped my first son.  I had four cactus but no fruit yet, lots of eggs but no plates, very few berries or wild food left so I pretended to not see him.  When the next son came along I done the same thing.  My third son was born as I was making pottery, I planned on keeping him but he did not plan to stay.  The fourth turned to bones in my arms.

I was feeling pretty sad after two sons said nope to life with me when a girl popped out.  The joy I felt was indescribable, I named her Zabrina popped her on a good temp spot and ran to get more eggs.  Zabrina was a sweetheart but she wouldn't stay still.  I came back from egg gathering and she was gone, I found her little bones north in a cold patch.  I was getting pretty old and thought I was doomed to die alone.  I thought back on Chris and hope she was doing well, perhaps with a few children of her own.  I thought of the boys I left and if they had come back the third and fourth time as my nope kids.

Not one to dwell in self pity to long, I got more clay to continue my plan to make as many omelettes as I could.  All of a sudden she came, my Zahara and she was smart, very smart.  She looked around and said "Your Ma Eve?"  All I managed was yes, I never told her of her Gma and Aunt somewhere in the South East.  I think she believed one of the bones of her siblings must be her Gma.

I had another son and I was so relieved, maybe I had not angered the spirits and this was my chance to raise a son.  I named him Zoltan.  I told him about the three cacti above the kiln, how they magicked yellow food and it needed to be picked.  I told him about the cactus just south to.  He helped me with omelettes but somehow he starved when I went for eggs.

Seeing his bones I worried about Zahara who had been gone for quite a long time.  I gave birth to another girl just as my hair turned to silver, she ran away into the swamp I couldn't even find her bones to place with her brothers.  This is it I thought.  My life was over, my children all gone.

Then Zahara turned up wearing a backpack and carrying a child.  My girl, my smart wonderful girl.  She always did turned up when I was doubting my life's purpose.  Renewed I started on the berry farm and seen my Zahara patiently teach her daughter how to farm.  She really was a great mother, far better than I was.  My life was at an end, but it was a good one though I wish I had known about you brother.

My last words were to remind my granddaughter she needed to set a home marker.  Our line lived on for quite a few generations more.

#3 2018-11-11 13:45:00

Tea

Re: The Forgotten Son

Hello Sister ! Good to hear that you had a nice life.

Now that I read, that our mother might have been a new player and didn't know that the place I found was to settle down, I feel a little better ^^ Thought she might have found a better place and simply forgot to go back and tell me about it !

The one and only Eve Kelderman

Board footer