One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-30 13:36:26

Dodge

[Strawpoll] Is the game becoming a tedious task simulator instead of a

Is the game becoming a tedious task simulator instead of a fun challenging game?

https://strawpoll.com/ffr3ss2x

Right now the direction of the game seems to be to nerf the existing ressources to make the game more difficult

Which i am all for since for example the ammount of iron ore per mine was ridiculous, but if it only brings us to do the same tedious tasks but just more of it, what's the point?

Making the game more tedious is not a challenge that is fun/interesting and i fear that the new coming players will realise that the game is becoming a doing the same tasks over again simulator and will eventually leave

If we think about it making compost could be a 25 step process, that would make it almost impossible to sustain a village, yes it would be a challenge, but is it challenging in a fun or interesting way?

I posted another thread on how late game could be challenging but at the same time with an incentive to make long lasting stuff, that could be lost at any time due to mistakes made by the players

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4312

But with the nerfing of the soil for example and nothing higher in the techtree to either replace soil, make it differently, help in the process or wathever, it will become a putting berries in bowl and other tedious task simulator

Btw nobody makes soil not because it's challenging to make but because it's a boring task to do

I'm all for making the game more challenging but if the challenge is being the fastest robot then no thanks

Something as simple as having a tool to fill the bowls with berries from a full bush would come a long way but would just be a quick fix to a bigger issue in my opinion

This game as SO MUCH potential it would be sad if the only things higher in the techtree are aesthetic stuff and not something that brings a new dimension to the game, why stop to iron and sheep there could be oil, electricity, different ways to grow crops, clothes that last longer but are higher in the techtree etc, possibilites are limitless

But right now we are stuck at iron and sheep and the only reasons villages die is not because of lack of ressources and poor management but because the game mechanic makes us spawn 10k from each other and villages get lost

Interested by your opinion on this and if you have other examples of tedious tasks that could be improved by new stuff in the techtree for example

Last edited by Dodge (2018-10-31 13:29:22)

#2 2018-10-30 13:54:24

PeaGirl

Re: [Strawpoll] Is the game becoming a tedious task simulator instead of a

You heard of people who enjoy challenging themselves? You bought the game aknowledging that it will have sheeps and iron, perhaps for a big while. Give Jason some time and he will add up new things eventually.

Besides, we got railroads and almost 1/10 villages actually use it. Fun fact huh? Railroads allow players to deliver items from point a to point b, which would be perhaps the earliest of "meta" choices that very little amount of people have began to take on usage, because it is iron costly, which in bigger case, would lead people to look for more iron mines, which in other hand would make people to spread across from the original eve marker.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-10-30 13:56:43)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#3 2018-10-30 14:20:53

Dodge

PeaGirl wrote:

You heard of people who enjoy challenging themselves? You bought the game aknowledging that it will have sheeps and iron, perhaps for a big while. Give Jason some time and he will add up new things eventually.

Besides, we got railroads and almost 1/10 villages actually use it. Fun fact huh? Railroads allow players to deliver items from point a to point b, which would be perhaps the earliest of "meta" choices that very little amount of people have began to take on usage, because it is iron costly, which in bigger case, would lead people to look for more iron mines, which in other hand would make people to spread across from the original eve marker.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, perhaps unfortunately, the rest of the tech tree is mostly aesthetic.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4296

Doesnt seem like there will be something higher than iron and sheep

Railroads are not a new meta since they are not necessary which would make them aesthetic/practical, also why would you make a costy railroad that can be easily destroyed and material cant be retrieved to be recycled when you could use cart/horsecart that dont require any iron, if iron keeps getting nerfed making railroads will be considered griefing at some point lol

I totally agree that railroad look nice and are a good addition to the game but they are not necessary to the survival of a village

Last edited by Dodge (2018-10-31 13:30:19)

#4 2018-10-30 14:29:52

Tarr
Banned

PeaGirl wrote:

It's not because railroads are costly that they aren't used, it's because of how they're coded. I am almost certain before the nerf more railways would be used if they could actually turn. I know they can't do this because they're coded like animals which can only move one direction and what not. It just doesn't make sense to make railways when they have to be completely straight because you design a village before you ever remotely design the railway layout.

Best case scenario is you have someone start a second town and make the rail system before you start doing any of the towns ground work so the rails can actually be useful in the first place. Unfortunately railways are just ass backwards. The fact of planning your rails before the town just doesn't make any sense when Eve or pseudo Eve aren't going to be the ones designing the town around where you can efficiently put tracks.

TL;DR: Rails have a backwards design that forces you to plan town around them instead of them around your town.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-10-30 16:33:22

Booklat1

Tarr wrote:

It's not because railroads are costly that they aren't used, it's because of how they're coded. I am almost certain before the nerf more railways would be used if they could actually turn. I know they can't do this because they're coded like animals which can only move one direction and what not. It just doesn't make sense to make railways when they have to be completely straight because you design a village before you ever remotely design the railway layout.

well this and the fact there's little reason as of yet to transport stuff en masse from a to b, except maybe mutton, which is why we use rails for that occasionaly.

My answer to ops question is that these tasks have to be grindy so we strive for better tech to do it more efficiently. Its boring to plant milkweed, but even worse to gather it from the wilds. tech is supposed to make that which takes a lot of work easier so we have more time for other projects (including upgrades to production and vanity/higher tech items). Ultimately working is boring and this game mimics this well.

#6 2018-10-30 16:45:33

Dodge

Booklat1 wrote:
Tarr wrote:

well this and the fact there's little reason as of yet to transport stuff en masse from a to b, except maybe mutton, which is why we use rails for that occasionaly.

My answer to ops question is that these tasks have to be grindy so we strive for better tech to do it more efficiently. Its boring to plant milkweed, but even worse to gather it from the wilds. tech is supposed to make that which takes a lot of work easier so we have more time for other projects (including upgrades to production and vanity/higher tech items). Ultimately working is boring and this game mimics this well.

Yes exactly but at the moment there is nothing in the techtree that make these tasks less boring

There is so much more challenges, dangers and ways to make the game more difficult that could be added and i dont think making use grind more berries in bowls or do other repetitive tasks is a good way to add an interesting challenge to the game

"Ultimately working is boring and this game mimics this well",  so the game should be boring? that's not a good logic

#7 2018-10-30 17:01:55

Booklat1

I agree there is nothing to make it less boring, but you are not considering that another thing that makes it boring is that it's easy. I know that I can make 4 composts in under five minutes and that is enough for a berry farm for much longer (unless people take it for extra projects).

Making it harder makes the tedious part more proeminent but is also needed so that extra tech doesn't make it so easy to compost that its both almost infinite and easily made (assuming there's even a single person working on it). Also, ultimately this is planned to put a pressure in iron usage, which will probably be needed when more tech is added.

And honestly, i actually find it fun to pop berries into a bowl.

#8 2018-10-30 17:03:06

Booklat1

I think the funny part is seeing your projects done and knowing yu've beat the grind and helped your village.

#9 2018-10-30 17:03:09

MultiLife

Well, tasks are fun at first, then get boring. Then you automate things, then that gets boring. Sadly Jason said that automation wasn't what he wants, no robots doing farming for us so we can do other things.
To me, grinding in a game can be therapeutic and relaxing.
If and when the game starts to feel like a "tedious task simulator" I stop what I am doing, let's say smithing, and exclaim "we need a smith" and switch my project/profession. If all professions and projects feel tedious, I go play another game.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2018-10-30 21:06:08

Dodge

MultiLife wrote:

Well, tasks are fun at first, then get boring. Then you automate things, then that gets boring. Sadly Jason said that automation wasn't what he wants, no robots doing farming for us so we can do other things.
To me, grinding in a game can be therapeutic and relaxing.
If and when the game starts to feel like a "tedious task simulator" I stop what I am doing, let's say smithing, and exclaim "we need a smith" and switch my project/profession. If all professions and projects feel tedious, I go play another game.

im not talking about automation and robot farmers, but right now survival techwise we are stuck at water + iron + sheeps, if you have these three things village is good, and sheeps and water is renewable so that leaves us with iron being the only way of pressure on a village

But what if climbing the techtree would be a necessity otherwise the village dies, for example wheat is necessary but it could also bring rats that give disease so we would need a chemistry lab and glass to make medicine for example and what if steam engines, oil and electricity becomes necessary to counteract the lack of iron

We already have that early game:
No forge = no tools = village dies
Same for the sheeps if we dont have them village is doomed
But right now we are stuck in the survival techtree and there is nothing else more that is essential to the survival of a village than water + iron + sheeps

Yes jason talked about refrigeration for food conservation but that would only be a half necessity since you can always make food before eating it hence not needing refrigeration

I personnaly think adding more dangers higher in the techtree is an as good motivation as food to climb the techtree plus i see it as more entertaining than just worrying about food

#11 2018-10-30 23:20:31

PeaGirl

Dodge wrote:

I personnaly think adding more dangers higher in the techtree is an as good motivation as food to climb the techtree plus i see it as more entertaining than just worrying about food

It would be an issue for early villages, considering all kinds of issues what may come in any aspect. Making players fight these aspects by village instead of gaining steps for tech tree to fend these off.

In consideration, it would require early camps extra efficiency and extra luck for getting godlike seed and hope that plants won't die as they are grown, when all kinds of rodents and diseases magically appear to ruin the peace. Horray!

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#12 2018-10-31 05:09:25

Dodge

PeaGirl wrote:
Dodge wrote:

It would be an issue for early villages, considering all kinds of issues what may come in any aspect. Making players fight these aspects by village instead of gaining steps for tech tree to fend these off.

In consideration, it would require early camps extra efficiency and extra luck for getting godlike seed and hope that plants won't die as they are grown, when all kinds of rodents and diseases magically appear to ruin the peace. Horray!

No because it's climbing the techtree that would bring the new dangers, for example planting wheat attracts rats that give disease, so you need to climb the techtree to solve this issue or the village dies but climbing the techtree would bring other dangers

So it wouldnt affect the villages that arent high in the techtree since its the techtree that brings the dangers but climbing the techtree would be a necessity otherwise the village dies from the current dangers

Since we already solved the food problem pretty much i dont see any other incentive (except improving the current production or make it easier) from a survival point of view to climb the techtree plus it would be a fun and challenging way to climb the techtree and give a challenge late game

Last edited by Dodge (2018-10-31 05:13:38)

#13 2018-10-31 07:16:02

PeaGirl

Dodge wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:
Dodge wrote:

No because it's climbing the techtree that would bring the new dangers, for example planting wheat attracts rats that give disease, so you need to climb the techtree to solve this issue or the village dies but climbing the techtree would bring other dangers

So it wouldnt affect the villages that arent high in the techtree since its the techtree that brings the dangers but climbing the techtree would be a necessity otherwise the village dies from the current dangers

Since we already solved the food problem pretty much i dont see any other incentive (except improving the current production or make it easier) from a survival point of view to climb the techtree plus it would be a fun and challenging way to climb the techtree and give a challenge late game

I see issue in this, that if domestic wheat brings rats and disease, what would happen to wild wheat? It's typically same item, and it would be an issue to tackle, one day wheat may be just next door, in a few 10 minutes you need to reach 4 kilometres to find nearest wheat, because rats ate them.
Food problem is only solved at sheep stage, and before that, it is wild game. Only thing that I can see a "solution" for "rat and disease" problem is that video that someone showed about dogs hunting rats, but up until that idea is given a foothold, we are thriving in stage where other danger aside wolves and bears is risky way in terms of current stage of game.
Besides, rats eat everything, literally. Rats can't just magically appear to scene, when there are wheat on village. They are not compost flies. You would need at least 4-5 different items that would suggest of rats existence, for e.x. rats den, rat litter, rat bones, rat flock. Besides disease would also be really bad idea at this point, now when population is not that huge in the servers. It would make existing generations even more likely to die out just because disease inflicted on last females.

Edit: Dogs also take a considerably long time to grow up, and die very early, so their protection, if ever possible, would be short. It would make sheep pen/wheat farming more challenging than it already is, considering how people constantly grief without knowing sheeps and wheat.

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-10-31 07:19:24)

#14 2018-10-31 08:51:13

Dodge

PeaGirl wrote:
Dodge wrote:
PeaGirl wrote:

I see issue in this, that if domestic wheat brings rats and disease, what would happen to wild wheat? It's typically same item, and it would be an issue to tackle, one day wheat may be just next door, in a few 10 minutes you need to reach 4 kilometres to find nearest wheat, because rats ate them.
Food problem is only solved at sheep stage, and before that, it is wild game. Only thing that I can see a "solution" for "rat and disease" problem is that video that someone showed about dogs hunting rats, but up until that idea is given a foothold, we are thriving in stage where other danger aside wolves and bears is risky way in terms of current stage of game.
Besides, rats eat everything, literally. Rats can't just magically appear to scene, when there are wheat on village. They are not compost flies. You would need at least 4-5 different items that would suggest of rats existence, for e.x. rats den, rat litter, rat bones, rat flock. Besides disease would also be really bad idea at this point, now when population is not that huge in the servers. It would make existing generations even more likely to die out just because disease inflicted on last females.

Edit: Dogs also take a considerably long time to grow up, and die very early, so their protection, if ever possible, would be short. It would make sheep pen/wheat farming more challenging than it already is, considering how people constantly grief without knowing sheeps and wheat.

This is just a detail that could be solved by programming for example maybe the rats only have a chance to spawn when you tresh wheat and not when it's growing, obviously this would need some balancing the goal is not to make it impossible for early camp and villages but to create a challenge for late game more advanced cities and give a purpose to climb the techtree instead of just climbing techtree for the sake of climbing it

The rats and disease only serves as an example of content that could be added to late game to make it more challenging and give an incentive for later tech, for example forge is needed, sheeps are needed, wells are needed but then what else?

At the moment whe are stuck at iron, sheeps and water and as jason said in one thread

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, perhaps unfortunately, the rest of the tech tree is mostly aesthetic.

This makes me think that all later tech will just be aesthetics and will have no purpose for the survival of a village and i think that's a huge waste of potential for the game that could be much more challenging in a fun way, than just getting iron, forging and farming for our survival

Im not saying there is no other things to do besides survival, but having tech being necessary for the survival of a village long term forces us to face new challenges and difficulties and not stay in the comfort of being able to survive close to the bottom of the techtree and not needing to move up

Last edited by Dodge (2018-10-31 08:52:28)

#15 2018-10-31 09:58:31

kubassa
Banned

This game sucks balls in it's current state. It hasn't been fun since the "Rags to Riches" update and everything added since has just made it a TEDIOUS grind for nothing.........
No point in playing at all. IMO

Last edited by kubassa (2018-10-31 10:11:42)

I got huge ballz.

#16 2018-10-31 15:10:37

Stormyzabeast

kubassa wrote:

This game sucks balls in it's current state. It hasn't been fun since the "Rags to Riches" update and everything added since has just made it a TEDIOUS grind for nothing.........

Totally agree. For me, the "tedious" tasks are part of the fun of the game. There's always something to do, some way to help improve your village or camp.

When I'm born into a city, I eat berries until I'm old enough, grab a backpack of pies, say bye to mom and head out to be an "Eve". Even if I was male.

Now with the decay update though, it's all pointless to me. Nothing will ever progress. No one will ever find my little Eve camps I spent my whole game building in hopes that it could someday become a thriving community. It's all going to disappear so what's the point in even playing? EVERYTHING is tedious now with no potential reward and it's really shitty to me. It was my favorite game

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#17 2018-10-31 15:16:02

Anshin

Stormyzabeast wrote:
kubassa wrote:

Totally agree. For me, the "tedious" tasks are part of the fun of the game. There's always something to do, some way to help improve your village or camp.

When I'm born into a city, I eat berries until I'm old enough, grab a backpack of pies, say bye to mom and head out to be an "Eve". Even if I was male.

Now with the decay update though, it's all pointless to me. Nothing will ever progress. No one will ever find my little Eve camps I spent my whole game building in hopes that it could someday become a thriving community. It's all going to disappear so what's the point in even playing? EVERYTHING is tedious now with no potential reward and it's really shitty to me. It was my favorite game

YES! The entire town deletion is awful! The people die off plenty easily enough, but at least leave some HOPE in the game! LEGACY!

#18 2018-10-31 15:36:17

Dodge

Exactly! i thought it was a game about parenting and civilization building but how can you build a civilization and leave a legacy if everything you make is lost forever in a couple of hours

The worst thing is that it would only require very small changes to make everyone happy with he game, but right now it's seems we  are bound to start all over again without leaving a long lasting legacy

Im not talking about having the same villages for one year straight, but i though that was what the apocalypse was for, if the cities get too big and we spawn too often in the same places then the apocalypse wipes it all and we restart from scratch

But right now it feels like the apocalypse is almost everyday since we start from scratch all the time

#19 2018-10-31 19:31:54

Aname

Anshin wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:
kubassa wrote:

YES! The entire town deletion is awful! The people die off plenty easily enough, but at least leave some HOPE in the game! LEGACY!

spawn as an eve and become sixty and spawn in every dead city there is too drop off ur legacy so the cities can excist for another 24 hours.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#20 2018-10-31 19:39:54

Dodge

Aname wrote:

spawn as an eve and become sixty and spawn in every dead city there is too drop off ur legacy so the cities can excist for another 24 hours.

eve spawns revive the town for at best a couple of hours and having huge cities is nearly impossible, last very big city was goose town weeks ago, other huge city was middleburg/northtown etc and that was 1-2 months ago, they all get lost eventually

#21 2018-11-01 17:30:52

Adata

Yes, the nerfs started ever since the game came out, but sometimes from time to time we get new things that aren't nerfed yet!
Then its a time for rejoicing before everything gets nerfed again.

I think Jason likes nerfing things saying thats how it is in real life so it should be in game.
Nerfing is a feature :3

#22 2018-11-02 04:10:34

FeverDog

Keep in mind that, in part, everyone playing is participating in a big art project/gaming experience.  I'm happy to participate for now.

#23 2018-11-02 07:04:14

Stormyzabeast

FeverDog wrote:

Keep in mind that, in part, everyone playing is participating in a big art project/gaming experience.  I'm happy to participate for now.

Remember when we were little and we spent an hour on an nes game only to die and have to start all over? All progress was lost? No thanks. This is extremely disappointing...I loved this game so much until this stupid update

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#24 2018-11-02 07:48:20

MultiLife

Stormyzabeast wrote:
FeverDog wrote:

Remember when we were little and we spent an hour on an nes game only to die and have to start all over? All progress was lost? No thanks. This is extremely disappointing...I loved this game so much until this stupid update

I remember and it sucked. But. The difference is that this is a multiplayer game. The goal is not the end of level 10 like it was in these NES games, it's the experiences we get to have with others. Yes, I think it is really dangerous to rely on other players to make up an experience, but Jason said if you want to build stuff (that lasts), go to Minecraft. It's fine if you are a build oriented player and I understand decay sucks if that's the only way you get satisfaction and entertainment.

I enjoy the game for short term goals that also benefit others, and our brief existence in the company of each other. Praising each other and helping each other reach our short term goals is the "thing" for me in this game.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer